July 22, 2014

Alec Baldwin wants to quit the business

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 8th 2008 10:02AM
Alec as JackSomebody needs to give 30 Rock's Alec Baldwin a shoulder to cry on. Seriously. In this recent interview the Emmy nominee not only mourned his lost youth -- he's just turned 50 (in April) and realizes that he'll never play professional baseball or dance in the ballet (really, Al, you think that was ever likely?) -- but he talked about quitting acting entirely. Hard to believe it, but here are his words:

"There's other things to do. ...So I'm trying to decide what to do when I quit this business. ...Yeah, I do have to find another career. I don't want to do this. I don't."

He wishes that he could sing. If he had a good voice, he claims, he'd do Broadway musicals. All the time.

I don't know; I think Alec could use a publicist. I mean, I'm sure he has one, but I don't think he listens to his/her advice. He sounded like a loose cannon.

Alec was very generous about the Emmys, however, saying that he couldn't care less about a personal victory as long as 30 Rock wins as Outstanding Comedy Series.

There was another interesting item from Alec in this piece, he's jealous of what they can get away with on cable. "I love everything on the cable stations where it's much more hard-edged, salty, more adult. The networks, we don't have that luxury. You can't go blue. You've got to keep it clean. That's harder to do. The fact that we have a smart show with nothing that caustic or harsh is a miracle."

Hmm...I guess Alec didn't think MILF Island was pushing the envelope. I did.

melissa

He is GREAT on 30 Rock - perfect for the role, and the interactions w/ Liz are awesome. I personally would miss him if he was to leave television.

August 09 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Professor Gotcha Devine

I don't think he said anything about quitting exactly, but he did say he'd like to try other things. You get that way after doing something for so long as he has, and very well. A little crusty construction worker like, ya, maybe. haha I always thought he should make his own Internet or YouTube drama series. It seems more up his alley to try new things.

And you are absolutely right, bsgfan2003. Thank you for that. 8D

August 08 2008 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

This is tangent from topic, but it still fits here because of the stark political differences that live here.

I just watched part of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. As I was talking to my children about what Communism means, I was suddenly very greatful that we live in a country where you may believe, and say what you wish without fear. I have conservative and liberal friends, and we get together peacefully for lively discussion all the time. God Bless the USA!

August 08 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bsgfan2003's comment
bsgfan2003

And I was so excited that I spelled grateful wrong. :)

August 08 2008 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A_B

"Good, I for one won't miss that no talent construction worker. Maybe he could do radio as his retirement gig."

I'm trying to figure out if that's just stupidity or an intentional, but strange, inversion of what Baldwin said to Sean Hannity. Baldwin never did construction, but he did say to Sean Hannity, "BALDWIN: Why would I want to come on the show with a no-talent, former construction worker hack like you?"

August 08 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to A_B's comment
Rocketboy_X

It was a "an intentional, but strange, inversion". Did you ever hear the radio clips of Baldwin stumbling through trying to host his own show? Classic.

August 08 2008 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Yeah, keidalgrim beat me to it, but I was just going to say that Alec Baldwin will probably quit show biz the same time he fulfills his promise to move out of the country.

August 08 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

He should've been gone years ago as he and that skank he was married to both said they were leaving the country if Bush got elected. Why hasn't that happened? Oh, right, just like most rabid liberals he's all talk and little, if any, integrity.

Saying it loud, long and repeatedly doesn't make it come true. A lesson liberals, especially Hollywood liberals, should learn (but never will).

August 08 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

He should come over to Blightly, our TV's all about being hard-edged, salty and adult. We wouldn't mind if he shouted at his kid, either.

August 08 2008 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keidalgrim

You wrote: "It's hard to figure out exactly what's behind Baldwin's words, unless we take it on face value and believe that he just doesn't want to act anymore."

Are you high? Since when could you take anything that Alec Baldwin had to say at face value?

I recall a delicious comment (and time) when Baldwin said he'd pick up and move to another country if Bush was re-elected. Bush and his issues notwithstanding, would that Alec would have stuck to his end of the deal.

Ptah.