October 26, 2014

Burn Notice: Scatter Point

by Paul Goebel, posted Aug 8th 2008 8:42AM

Burn Notice(S02E05) "Sammy's gettin' some hammy tonight." - Sam Axe

How great was it seeing Michael and Fi still sitting in that car? I like to imagine that they were sitting there for an entire week while we waited for the new episode.

Not that I didn't enjoy Michael's how-to on exposing covert security but I feel bad for the delivery guy. As if it isn't bad enough to get to the delivery and realize you've been pranked, this poor guy is also going to get the crap beaten out of him. No wonder Michael helps everyone he meets. He has a lot of bad karma to make up for.

After so many weeks of being an easy touch, I loved seeing Michael really try to turn Trevor away. In fact, it wasn't until Trevor played the father/son card that Mike finally gave in. The scene was really quite moving and Maurice Compte gave a much more sensitive performance than most of the actors who play clients. The best part is that the father/son angle is more evidence that Michael's father may show up before the season is over.

It was brought to my attention that last week's episode was very similar to most plots of Mission: Impossible. Michael befriended the bad guy and then burned him and in the end the bad guy looked like a rat and was dragged away by his cronies. Tonight's offering gave me the same feeling when we were introduced to Timo and his crew. Even the inclusion of Robin Givens reminded me how a well-known actor like William Shatner or Eartha Kitt would appear to spice things up.

While I'm on the subject, Oded Fehr has been absent from television for far too long. I've been a fan ever since I saw him in The Mummy and I have always thought that he would be great in his own action series.

Once again, the comedy team of Campbell and Anwar do what they do best. I don't know what was funnier; seeing Sam trying so hard to be assaulted or watching Fiona stand by and take her time before she screamed.

Was it just me or was Michael using one of his signature accents as Joseph the safe cracker? I guess I should be thankful that this one was a little more subtle than his Texan or his South African dialect.

I don't really know what to say about Sam's situation other than I really, really hope we get to meet his wife.

Once again, Michael solved the problem by eliminating the bad guy who was causing it. I wonder if the writers are consciously trying to make the show look like MI or if there just inspired. In either case, Rollin Hand would be proud.

As for Carla, I am totally digging the little pieces of information that we get with every episode. Moreover, it's so refreshing to see Michael have to match wits with someone who is at least as smart as him if not smarter. I still have no clue what Carla's story is but with all the buildup she's getting, it better be a good one.

Who would you like to see more?
Michael's father84 (28.8%)
Sam's wife133 (45.5%)
Fiona's mother75 (25.7%)

Diane

I liked the epi, especially with Oded in it. He just makes a (sorry... SUPER HOT!!!!) great bad guy. I'd love to see him have a lot more exposure here in the states. I'll enjoy seeing howthe season wraps up- 9 episodes just isn't enough. it would be nice if they could make at least a couple more for the summer.

August 13 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

Paul, I think this week's episode was less classic Mission that last week, but as much as I love the show, they are falling into certain patterns (like Michael always falling for a father/son angle).

However, are we sure that Kandi killed Timo at the end? They didn't show him getting killed. Maybe this is going to be something that comes back later on? I kind of wonder about Lucy Lawless from season one, too. Again, they didn't show her dying -- we assumed she didn't survive the fall. If Michael's taught us anything, spies are very good at surviving.

I think Michael needs an entire episode devoted to the burn and chasing Carla.

August 09 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I think Michael needs an entire episode devoted to the burn and chasing Carla.

August 09 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grendl

who played Trevor? I could swear it was Corey Feldman

August 09 2008 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robin

I thought Michael's father was dead. I don't think he will be showing up anytime to soon unless he is a ghost.

August 09 2008 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Michael's accents are horrible. He didn't have an accent this time so much as he changed his cadence.

August 09 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Moncur

I can't believe nobody is asking the obvious question:

WHERE WAS THE YOGURT?

Even when Michael opened his fridge there was not a can to be found.

Maybe the product placement contract for the Yogurt Board expired.

August 09 2008 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

As the show mentioned, I'd love to see Kandi come back and get into it with Fiona. Heh heh heh.

August 08 2008 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

love the episode, and i really don't get the aversion to accents, i think he pull them of!!! (these wasn't an accent thought, just a different tone)

August 08 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

I'm really diggin' this season of Burn Notice - it's about the only show I follow religiously now.

Oded Fehr is awesome! I remember him from UC: Undercover and was really disappointed when the show was cancelled.

August 08 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply