July 28, 2014

Moment Of Truth bumped for Hole In The Wall - VIDEO

by Brett Love, posted Aug 8th 2008 9:03AM

Brooke Burns - Hole In The WallIn general, you could mark me down as a fan of reality TV. I've never missed Survivor, written thousands of words about Dancing With The Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, and despite what my daily uniform of jeans, t-shirt, and Chuck Taylors would suggest, I even watch Project Runway. The one show I actively root against though, is Moment Of Truth.

I just can't find anything to like about the show, from the concept right on through to the execution. It's with that in mind that I excitedly clicked on the entry in my feed reader telling me that Hole In The Wall was replacing it. Hosted by Brooke Burns (Dog Eat Dog), Hole In The Wall is the latest incarnation of a game popularized in Japan. Before the jump to the US there were already successful adaptations in a number of other countries.

The success has a lot to do with the simplicity of the concept. A wall, with a shape cut in it, moves toward the contestants and they have to contort their body to pass through the hole or be swept into the water. As they fail to do so, hilarity ensues, hopefully. Get a look for yourself, after the jump.

I'm curious to see how it plays out. Brooke Burns is a good choice for the host. She was always entertaining on Dog Eat Dog, which shares more than a couple similarities with Hole In The Wall. However, I do worry that the Americanization of the show is going to cost it some of the quirky charm that makes the original so entertaining. The somewhat odd nephew to the original's Takeshi Kaga, if you will.

Ah, but before we get to the wacky video, some bad news. As excited as I'm sure many of us are to see Moment Of Truth get trumped by spandex suits and Styrofoam walls, it might actually be the best thing that could happen to the show. It had the good fortune of a cushy post-Idol spot when it debuted, which certainly played a part in its ratings success. Those numbers dropped off when the show left the comfy time slot. The move back to mid-season could see the show once again riding on easy street, which might mean another season. Bugger.

Anyway, here's some crazy Japanese video.

Vincent J. Murphy

If it follows the Moment of Truth model, it'll take about 6 minutes for any action to happen, and then, before the commercial, they'll spoil things by showing them take on different shapes, but not showing the outcomes.

Really, though, a show based on THIS?

August 08 2008 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldie

I don't know why, but that was more entertaining that I thought it would be...and way better than moment of truth!

August 08 2008 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Honestly, how dumb are people getting if this CRAP is allowed on the air in this country. We should be making fun of this, not spending millions of dollars producing this moronic waste instead of producing quality programming like Kitchen Confidential, Arrested Development, Futurama, Lucky Louie, Journeyman, etc. The executives responsible should be dragged from their cars and beaten (NewsRadio reference) for subjecting us to this instead of allowing quality shows more than 12 episodes to establish themselves.

August 08 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChrisG

Somehow I do prefer the Italian version of 'Human Tetris' to the Japanese one, I don't know what it is. ;-)

August 08 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ChrisG's comment
Brett Love

Ha. I saw that too Chris, and my first thought was that the back of those swimsuits would be a tough sell on an American network. Funny stuff though.

August 08 2008 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

I wasted 3:29 of my life watching this awful show!
This was bad very very bad!

August 08 2008 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DavidMac

Moment of Truth is the best reality show ever made. Nothing better than see people drop all their morals and good sense in the quest for money. The best thing is that it isn't even a huge amount of money, its only for 500K, yet they are willing to destroy everything for it.

August 08 2008 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply