November 22, 2014

Bernie Mac dead at 50

by Kona Gallagher, posted Aug 9th 2008 10:20AM
bernie macSad news coming out of Chicago this morning; Bernie Mac has died. Mac had been in the hospital for the past week battling pneumonia. The 50-year-old comedian and star of Fox's The Bernie Mac Show had previously battled sarcoidosis, an immune system disorder that can affect the lungs, but that disease was said to have been in remission.

Rumors regarding the severity of Mac's illness swirled around the internet last weekend when a family member reportedly said that his condition was "very, very critical." However, Mac's publicist came out on Thursday and said that her client's condition was "stable."

In addition to his TV work, Mac was probably best known for co-starring with George Clooney and Brad Pitt in Ocean's 11 and its subsequent sequels. The Bernie Mac show ran for five seasons on Fox before it ended in 2006. I always enjoyed his Cliff Huxtable-as-a-movie-star take on The Bernie Mac Show as well as the different comedic sensibility he brought to the table in the Ocean's movies. Mac had a lot of comedy left in him, and I'm sorry to see him go.

kerry simpson

its very sad to here that he died. i live in jamaica an he was one of my best actor, god rest is soul

August 24 2008 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shontayeglasper

it saddens me that one of the greatest,funniest man and also a great actor that ever lived passed away from our soul and our hearts. I watched all of his shows from the bernie mac show to all the films that he ever made from transformers to all the ocean films with george clooney and brad pitt. My heart just dropped when i heard about this, it just crushed me to pieces. But, i will remember what he said and will carry it with me always: don't take life for granted, just live life for the moment. We miss you, bernie mac always.

August 12 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dailove

He was the best ever.I will always miss him,to his family stay strong no worries his in heaven.

August 12 2008 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dailove

Bernie Mac was the best ever I love all his acting he is great,I was shock when I heard that news.I know that I didn't know him but I was a number one fan all my wishe's was to meet him,when I heard that news I thought it was a lie because I love'd him alot,when i heard the news i was crying and crying i couldn't stop,I know Bernie mac Family are in pain rightnow, but all I can say is stay strong no worries the lord have a special place for him his saved.Thanks.

August 11 2008 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SCHONDA

TO THE BERNIE MAC FAMILY MY BLESSING ARE TRULLY WITH YOU.THIS GREAT MAN WAS A PART OF MY LIFE IN TV WAY. I TOO AM RAISING TO CHILDREN AND WHEN I NEEDED GUIDENCE ,ANSWERS,HELP WITH AN ISSUE I WAS HAVING WITH MY KIDS SOME HOW BERNIE'S SHOW WOULD HELP ME OUT SOMETIMES. I WATCH HIM FOR YEARS FROM WHEN HE WAS ON DEATH COMEDY JAM. TO NOW. HE WAS A GOOD MAN FROM WHAT NEW OF HIM AND I FEEL HIS HEART WAS GENUINE. HE STOOD FOR FOR BRING OUT IN THE GOOD IN KIDS. THATS WAS ONE OF THE THINGS I LIKE ABOUT HIM. IM OLE SCHOOL TOO SO I KNEW WHERE HE WAS COMING FROM A LOT OF TIMES ON HIS SHOW, BUT HE DID IT WITH SUCH CLASS A FUNNINESS.FOR SOME REASON I WAYS THOUGHT THAT I WOULD HAVE MET HIM ONE DAY. WHO NOWS MAYBE I WILL MEET HIM IN HEAVEN AT ONE OF HIS SHOWS FOR THE LORD. MY FAVORIT MOVIES THAT BERNIE MADE WAS GUESS WHO COMING TO DINNER. NOW I WILL FOREVER TREASURE IT EVEN MORE. BERNIE YOU WILL SURLY BE MISSED. GOD BLESS YOU AWAYS SCHONDA WYCHE

August 11 2008 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yoshie

Much Luv! Will miss!! Respect and R.I.P.

August 10 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yoshie

R.I.P. Mac man. I will miss ur witty banter.
It brings me to tears to see u go. But like all great stories
urs must come to an end. Much Luv and Respect!!!

August 10 2008 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
V

RIP to a REAL 'KING OF COMEDY!'

Mac was something else. Will aways be remembered!! And I'm sure he's in hevan now saying to random people. 'I aint scared of you mothf*#+ers!'

Many memeories!! God Bless.

V

August 10 2008 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pamela

Bernie, Bernie, I will always be laughing and smiling to myself when I think of you. I am sooo sorry that you had to leave us, but When God is ready to take you back home you have to pack up go . Now you had earned your wings, keep heaven laughing. God bless the famly

August 10 2008 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean

he was the best person in the movie world he brought laughter and smiles to everyone we will miss him

from a fan