April 20, 2014

What will CBS do with Swingtown?

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 10th 2008 2:01PM
American SwingtownThe Nielsen ratings for last Friday night showed that NBC did really well with the Olympic opening ceremonies. Good for NBC, bad for fans of CBS's Swingtown. It didn't take a psychic to predict that all that NBC Universal hype would draw those who love pomp and spectacle. It also didn't take a seer to see that CBS wasn't giving Swingtown a fair shot by asking it to go up against the Olympics.

Still, in CBS's defense, Swingtown just hasn't grabbed the kind of ratings all summer long -- mostly on Thursday nights -- to warrant the network believing that it has a potential hit on its hand. The New York Times pondered Swingtown's fate, too.

I think it does, but only if CBS gives Swingtown some time. I'm not alone in thinking this either. Josef Adalian agrees, as do and many TV Squad readers have expressed their passion for this show. Will CBS hear them as they chant, "All we are saying, is give Swingtown a chance."

I fear not. The generally poor ratings hurt the show. Added to that is the fact that Swingtown has lost advertisers like Procter & Gamble because it objected to the show's content. If I were at CBS, I'd be advocating to keep Swingtown. Bring it back at mid-season and this show could become a Dallas or a Knots Landing. And if CBS chooses not to stick with it, a network like Lifetime or Bravo or FX should snap it up because there is a groundswell of support for this show.

One more thing about Swingtown, Rich W. wrote me with the following: "I am a big fan of Swingtown and I was surfing through some photos on the net the other day when I came upon the famous Grant Wood painting American Gothic. Take a look at the woman in the painting. Is that Janet Thompson (Miriam Shor) from Swingtown or not?" Great catch, Rich. They do look alike -- and I've even put the pics together as you suggested. Thanks for writing. By the way, I call the photos, Gothic Swingtown.

Gayle L Holloway

I loved swingtown and thought,hated to see it end. I must admit it took a littile time until the plots/characters developed; To see Susan and Roger struggle with their feelings of what they had given up, was reminicent of my own life. My college age daughter, watched this and had many discussions about the changes of ideals and society in 30 years. I f CBS does not pick it up I hope someone will. Some one said it could be a little Dallas, I disagree Swingtown has better,plot of realistic challenges opposed to selfish, greedy, power hungry people acting out just because they can.

September 20 2008 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

They do need to give it time. It isn't just magically going to grow viewers in the next 2 episodes (although a miracle could be performed here). If they would bring it back midseason, or even next summer, and see what happens, at least they'd give Swingtown a chance to grow.

BTW, my suggestion for Swingtown fans: write letters, send a fax or a phone call to Nina Tassler, and tell her what you think of this show.

August 28 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kellandhow

We believe that Swingtown is the MOST entertaining series to hit any network in many many years.
We don't stay up that late usually, so we record the show to watch at a more convenient time. Of course, when we watch the recorded episodes of most TV shows, we fast forward during the commercials. Not so with Swingtown. We feel so strongly about this show that we watch the ALL the commercials and make note of who they are. We are sending business their way and taking the time to send them letters stating our appreciation of their sponsorship.
To the nay-sayers - we say that this show is no more "shocking" and "immoral" than any of the soap opera's that have been running on DAYTIME TV for generations (and Swingtown does it without any of the violence you see (or even implied) on the soap opera's (and other TV). Swingtown deals candidly with developing relationships and receives negative press from the right - wingers. These same "morals police" are mum about all the violence on TV. Makes you wonder about their priorities doesn't it?
CBS, please (!!!!) keep this show on your roster - it is the best show you've given us in years!

August 27 2008 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracy johnson

watchers of swingtown shouldn't be to surprised if cbs cancells their show without giving it a fair try. after all they did it to moonlight.cbs is trying so hard to find some show that will compete with american idol, that if a show doesn't deliver immediatly its cancelled. give it up cbs you won't find a quick fix.

August 15 2008 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nikki Quinn

I'm sticking with this show to the end. The first few episodes seemed to keep hitting the same points, but after about episode 4 it got very interesting, and gets more so with every week. I don't expect it to stick around, but I'll be sad when it's gone.

One note: how could they title the show "Swingtown" and not license the Steve Miller song of the same name? Missed opportunity for a theme song, I say.

August 14 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SwingTownLover

I have become a HUGE fan of Swingtown since it first aired. I will be very disappointed if CBS does not give this show a chance to develop. I DVR every episode, and will boycott CBS if they let this one go. My hope is to keep the show going, and move it to cable. Had it aired on cable, it'd be considered a bonafide hit! Good point -> Post a phone # for viewers to call in and vote! GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE! It will turn into a HIT!!

August 12 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr Bill

Why isn't show on Showtime where it belongs.

August 12 2008 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

Well count me in, I would love to see this show hang in there, I lost too many other ones over the strike. I'm getting tired of getting interested in a new show only to have the network can it without a chance.

August 11 2008 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

I love Swingtown also. I haven't missed an episode! I hate when they start moving shows around to different days. It always means it's coming to an end. Plus...Friday night is a dead zone on TV. If they want to give the show a chance, why not put it on a popular night & see if the ratings pick up, instead of a night that no one is watching? It's refreshing to watch a good drama & one that is set in a time of history. I sure hope it stays around longer. I'm attached to the characters. What can we do to plead our case to CBS?

August 11 2008 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bridgette KolesarWilliams

CBS is all about money, and numbers. It doesn't matter if it is an excellent show, or has 8 million viewers. If it doesn't win it's timeslot, the show is usually a goner. One sure way to tell is if they start moving the show around to different days and times. Like they are doing with Swingtown now. That's why I won't get attached to any shows on CBS. They cancel shows on a whim. It would be nice if they would let a show develop, but they won't. That's why so many of us watch cable shows now. If you look at the latest nominees for television awards, most of them are on cable. It's too bad, because Swingtown is an excellent show.

August 11 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply