December 19, 2014

How does the new Star Trek crew look?

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 11th 2008 12:04PM
Star Trek movieTrekMovie.com has posted screen shots of the new posters for the upcoming Star Trek movie. These posters (four in total) were apparently given out at the recent VegasCon to go with four given out at the SDCC of Kirk and Spock. From left to right, the posters are of Sulu, Scotty, McCoy and Chekov.

Frankly, I don't think any of them look like the originals. John Cho has a longer face than George Takei. Simon Pegg looks like a smaller guy (at least they didn't immediately give him the mustache that James Doohan later grew). It's tough to tell with Karl Urban because of the angle of his profile, but he looks nowhere near as ornery as Deforest Kelley. Anton Yelchin has a much stronger jaw than Walter Koenig.

Do you think people would watch a movie in which they basically use only the names and don't really try to duplicate the looks of the original actors? I suppose this won't bother a new generation of Trek fans who don't know the original cast anyway. What do you think?

Cap

It's amazing how much Chris Doohan looks like his dad.

Check it out below

September 18 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabriel Feher

I think they should change the names of the characters. New actors...new character names. The Star Trek franchise has flourished all these years despite it's various reincarnations and mutatations. New blood...new character names...is all a part of keeping things fresh and interesting. One brilliant addition to the cast is...Bruce Greenwood as Captain Pike. Greenwood is top shelf no matter what role he's playing.

August 21 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DavidMac

I think everything is pretty good, except for Simon Pegg as Scotty. He looks like he is damn near 40 while everyone else is in their late 20s early 30s.

August 12 2008 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

It should be acting abilities first and foremost, and then somewhere down along the line is visual similarities.

Otherwise, let's just cast convention actors! W00t!

August 11 2008 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cynmack

So should every actor who portrays Hamlet look exactly alike? Scotty, Sulu and Kirk aren't real people. These actors have not been hired to impersonate William Shatner or Leonard Nimory or James Doohan. They're portraying characters. You'd think someone writing about television would sorta kinda oughta get that.

August 11 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YellowBox

That was undoubtedly one of the nerdiest posts I've ever read on this site. Jawlines?? Are you serious?

Obviously I'm not opposed to all forms of geekery and nerditry, but there is a line between geek and nerd that is crossed when you ask whether "people would watch a movie" for which the producers didn't send Bill & Ted to kidnap the teenage versions of the original actors.

"People" would watch such a movie, yes. "Nerds who act out Trek fantasies with dumpster mannequins in their parents' basements" may have issues with such a travesty, however.

Let's please remember that as much as I love this site, I am still a member of the massive contingent that doesn't Google explosives manufacturing when the actual movie doesn't match every last detail of my dream version.

Thanks.

August 11 2008 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

At this point, I just hope the movie's good, considering the atrocity that they called 'Enterprise'. And I tried to like the show, I really did.

At the risk of pissing some ppl off, why cant they just pick up from TNG or DS9 or even Voyager? Y'know when the franchise was still worth watching?

This reboot crap Hollywood keeps dishing out needs to stop. Why can't they come up with a decent original idea? Just a thought...

August 11 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I don't think it's really fair to expect dopplegangers (though, I still maintain Paul McGillion would have been an excellent Scotty AND has the look, to boot) -- especially to the point of "his face is too long/his jaw is too strong."

On the other hand, while I want to be one of these people saying it's all about the characterization, at the same time -- like you -- I'm looking at Simon Pegg all 'WTF?'

August 11 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I wouldn't care, I'm a big fan of TOS (the original series) and I would still love to see what this movie does w/ the characters. I love the old actors, but I fully expected something like this to happen.

August 11 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

meh, william shatner in the movies looked nothing like he used to during the TV series. I agree with the other posters, as long as the characters are written and portrayed true to what has already been established, who cares?

And, agreeing with Brian Walton, it's not like the Bond franchise has been hurt over all the actor changes, even with the latest change when all the emo fanboys were crying boohoo tears over Bond being blonde of all things.

August 11 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply