July 31, 2014

Book 'em, Danno! Hawaii Five-0 2.0 on the way

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 12th 2008 8:03AM
Hawaii Five-0 2.0 on the wayEd Bernero is such a big Hawaii Five-0 fan, he has the show's theme song as his ringtone. But that's not all.

The Criminal Minds exec producer is also creating a new version of the classic show that starred Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, head of an elite branch of the fictional Hawaii State Police. The show won two Primetime Emmys and ran on CBS from 1968 to 1980 (Really?! It ran that long?!).

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new version will feature McGarrett's son as top cop. Bernero says he won't try and re-invent the series, and will "keep as much of the original show as possible."

Okay, let's think about this. Who looks enough like Jack Lord to play his son? (Of course, he'll have to have the same immovable, thick mane.) Jake Gyllenhaal? Kyle MacLachlan? How about Peter Krause? Dirty Sexy Money can't last much longer, can it?

And do you think they'll bring Wo Fat back? As I recall, McGarrett finally nabbed him in the final episode, but at the end, you could see Wo Fat digging into his boot and retrieving a file or something. Hmmm...

Bernero says the famous opening theme music will likely be back with a face-lift, as will some version of the classic "Book 'em, Danno" closing line. Bernero is calling the new show Hawaii Five-0 2.0. There's been some interest in a feature film adaptation of the TV series, but the project has been dormant at Warner Bros. for some time.

I'm kind of geeked about this news!

southsidebruce

Well jane you're maybe right, there are a few things that are annoying on DSM, especially the twins are really hard to watch sometimes. Kick them out, and everything will be good i guess. Quality will have to increase, i totally agree - if not, season 2 will be final season.

August 13 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mplb

I would really like to see Casper Van Dien play the role of McGarrett. I think the show could actually work if they cast it correctly, and Van Dien would be PERFECT.

August 13 2008 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deedah

We already have this show, it is called CSI: Miami...

I like crime procedurals, but enough is enough!

August 12 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

southsidebruce - I dunno... I recapped DSM for another site last year, and it just sort of flatlined for me, which was a real disappointment given my crush on Peter Krause, the awesome pairing of Donald Sutherland and Jill Clayburgh,and the cool addition of Blair Underwood at the end. I'm glad it got a second season, but I hope they can kick it up a little.

August 12 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Actually, this would be Hawaii Five-0 3.0, since they did another version in the late 90s that didn't go anywhere. It starred Gary Busey and James MacArthur and was written by Stephen J. Cannell.

August 12 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

they already tried to re-do Hawaii 5-0 a few years back. i think it was just called Hawaii and was a more action-y version and only lasted a season. imagine the Miami Vice movie watered down and in tv form. (it was on about the same time as the failed Dragnet re-do.)

I doubt they can re-do this show again. times have changed.....it's not the 70's anymore. unless, they're pulling a Mad Men, but you mentioned the son angle.

August 12 2008 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

*sigh* I just wish that instead of re-inventing, recreating or re-imagining classic old series they worked on developing creative, inventive, imaginative new ones -

August 12 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anita's comment
domino

seriously, I can't wait until the 2020's when there will be no choice but to do original content since there will be nothing left to remake

August 12 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
southsidebruce

what makes you think dsm will not last that long?

August 12 2008 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply