September 17, 2014

Short-Lived Shows: Throb - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 12th 2008 2:04PM
Throb castI have a special place in my heart for syndicated comedies. I don't really know what it is, because a lot of them can be quite terrible, but I seem to like them more than the next person. Maybe it's the fact that I watched a lot of them as a kid and that has stuck with me. You don't really get syndicated comedies that much anymore, but here's one I remember fondly from the mid-80s.

It was called Throb, and it was about the goings-on at an indie record label. It focused mostly on a single mom, played by Diana Canova, who was cute and always good in everything she did. I can't remember one single plot from the show, other than the basic plot that ran throughout the whole show, Canova's attempt to juggle being a single mom and also running a business (and dealing with the cast of characters at the label, of course).

Like most sitcoms of the 80s, it's fun to see what actors appeared on the show before becoming famous, and this one had several. Canova's 12 year-old son was played by Paul Walker, long before The Fast and the Furious (he was replaced in the second season). Her co-workers at the label included Jane Leeves (Frasier), Maryedith Burrell (Fridays, Seinfeld), and Jonathan Prince, an actor who appeared in everything in the 80s and 90s and is now a producer on The Cleaner and was a producer on Cane and American Dreams. George Clooney made an appearance on one episode. (Update: found the video below. Thanks YouTube!)

This is another one of those shows, along with It's A Living (another syndicated sitcom I loved, which ran around the same time) that I can't imagine ever appearing on DVD. But let's hope someone at YouTube or Hulu or AOL Video decides to upload a few episodes one day.

Charles James Siterl

Let's see if anyone can dig up more stills a for this show. Especially now that Jane Levees is on Hot in Cleveland. did anyone know that at one time she was one of Hill's Angels on Benny Hill (thelast season)

April 28 2012 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

Wow! I had totally forgotten about Throb. But I definitely loved this show. Why can't they release shows like THIS on DVD? Who could possibly need all of the seasons of crap like Charles in Charge?

August 14 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

One of the best things about this show was the theme song. "Feel the beat, feel the beat, feel the heartbeat, THROB."

August 13 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

And it you remember the original title for "It's a Living" was "Making a Living". But they thought it conveyed the thought those girls were prostitutes and thus the name change.

August 13 2008 at 7:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Jeez. I had not thought of or spoken of this show in years, and then just two days ago I was telling my wife about it, and here you are with it. Quick, Bob, give me some Powerball numbers!

August 12 2008 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

What killed the syndy-sitcom anyway? Was it "What a Dummy"? It might have been "What a Dummy."

August 12 2008 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garbonzo

I had completely forgotten about Throb until I saw this posting. Ah...many wasted afternoons of syndicated fun are returning to me!

August 12 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stvlvn

Jane Leeves character's name was Blue, and I liked this almost as much "It's a Living"

August 12 2008 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
teague182

Tina Toxoid in that clip is Kathleen Wilhoite...I instantly recognized her as Luke's sister Liz from Gilmore Girls. Not exactly famous, but interesting!

August 12 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Nelson

Did Clooney get a nose job? He looks different (besides being young).

August 12 2008 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply