October 25, 2014

The Mole: Season Finale

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 12th 2008 12:04AM
The Mole - Mark, Nicole, Craig
(S05E11) "How can she be a doctor and threaten to kill people?"
- Kristen, about Nicole

Could fans of The Mole had written a better outcome for the show? I guess there is one scenario (which I'll get to after the jump to avoid front page spoilers) that would have been just as good as what happened tonight, but this was perfect too. And I'm actually happy with myself for correctly guessing last week who the Mole was. I even picked up on one of the clues! Of course, I had no idea what the sound meant until a couple of you readers played the sound backwards (thanks!).

Let's take a look at who won, who the Mole was, who lost, how the Mole fooled everyone, and what clues were scattered throughout the season.

Craig is the Mole!
Mark wins the money!
Nicole loses!

I guess it would have been equally great if Craig had won and Mark was the Mole, but this was perfect too. Even though Craig was the Mole, he wasn't evil or nasty about it, which makes this outcome even more satisfying. And Mark? What a great player. He was incredibly smart in the challenges, physically great (who can forget his work on the treadmill?), and did just enough to make people think he might be the Mole (I thought he was guilty for the first few weeks).

What's most interesting is that Mark almost didn't make it to the final three. Because others (including Paul) suspected Craig early on, Mark actually tied on the quizzes three separate times, and only moved on because the others were slower in their finishing times. That must have been a kick in the head to the other players (especially Victoria). Quite fascinating is the fact that Craig's trip to the hospital was actually real. I wonder how many people thought Craig was the Mole because of this trip? He was probably suspected by a couple of players, but not for reasons he could have controlled.

As for the clues to who the Mole was...well, they ranged from rather obvious to completely obscure and impossible to see. The letters CRG behind Mark in the prison cell, looking back, were really obvious. But longitude and latitude for San Diego (Craig's town) hidden in the logo? Four letter "I" icons behind Clay that pointed to the only guy with glasses? The area codes of the final three hidden in a scene? Gah, that's really hard stuff to figure out, but you'll be damned sure I'm going to look for that stuff if there's another season (it's very cool that a couple of the audio oddities we picked up on - the alien sound and the baby crying - actually were clues, though the baby was a clue in a different way than we thought).

And what about another season? This finale proved that this is a reality show that really does deserve to be on the air. It proved that there can be a clever reality show that the viewers at home can actually play along with, one that's a little more civilized than the other reality shows, regardless of how nasty and annoying one or two of the contestants can be. I really hope we see another edition next season.

Are you happy with the outcome?
Yes, it was perfect412 (65.3%)
No, I wanted Nicole to win49 (7.8%)
No, I wanted Craig to win18 (2.9%)
It doesn't matter, as long as Nicole lost152 (24.1%)

Shaun

Congrats Mark!!!! I miss not seeing you at Church FRCC

October 24 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
agarcia9903

I thought it was Craig from the first episode because of something I thought was a clue (but apparently wasn't.) In the episode when the host tells them they'll be writing in journals, he holds up a journal and it had the number 11 on it. In the opening credits, the eleventh person was Craig. They'd done something like that in one of the previous seasons, so that's why I looked for it. I guess it was just a coincedence?

The Mole is one of my favorite reality shows (along with The Amazing Race) for all the reasons everyone already said. I hope it comes back. Happy for Mark! Can you imagine how big Paul's head would've gotten if he'd have won? He kept making faces the entire time.

August 13 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ORKMommy

I've never watched the Mole until this season and I loved it! I hope ABC brings it back but they need to move it to a better day/time slot. Monday at 9pm (I'm in CST) is a hard slot.

So glad Nicole got squat!! Buh bye Doc!

I know that Craig got paid to be the Mole, but how much?

August 12 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I predicted this outcome for the past 2-3 weeks and I was so happy that I was right!

Craig was a great Mole but some of those clues were ridiculous. And yes the Mole gets a substantial paycheck for their time.

I hope the show comes back and this time they promote it better. Maybe do another celebrity one if thats what it takes to keep it on the air.

August 12 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
graigbachman

It drove me crazy that they didn't address it last night, but what exactly does Craig get out of being The Mole? Little help...

August 12 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to graigbachman's comment
Jack

Even though Mark was the only person to win the pot of $420,000 all the other contestants were probably paid some amount of money for participating. Craig would have gotten at least this much to be the Mole for the producers.

August 12 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pather

I was really amazed to learn that Craig's test results were never called upon. What a great clue, something so subtle, yet so obvious looking back.

August 12 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pather's comment
mb

I didn't think that not calling on Craig would matter because they repeatedly called upon the Mole in the first season.

August 12 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

I was wary at first with the host switch but Cooper can keep his day job. Lets hope ABC or at least ABC family picks this up for a few more seasons!

August 12 2008 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

Mark had me confused in the end, but one of my first picks was Craig. the only clue that i picked up on was the fact that Craig was never called during the eliminations. i thought i saw the clue where an arrow was pointing to him in the opening credits, but no one really pays attention to the opening credits, and a lot of times i would FF through them. good game though!

August 12 2008 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Good season but I miss Anderson Cooper. I'm just glad Nicole lost. She was obnoxious, arrogant and felt that the rules didn't apply to her--more than once she either ignored them or tried to get around them. I hate people like that. If Nicole won, she would've been rewarded for her bad behavior--which I feel is wrong. Mark played the game, and played it well, without alienating everyone and acting like a total jerk. That being said...I got to hand it to Nicole. Her antics confused enough people to suspect her of being the Mole and by doing so she was able to pick off the weaker players which got her to the finals. She's a good player but I wouldn't want to know her because I don't think that her attitude was all for show.

August 12 2008 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

After the episode that Paul got eliminated, I posted that if I was betting, the end result would be Mole: Craig & winner, Mark. But up until that point, I was really suspecting Nicole might actually be The Mole. I just really wasn't that sure & I commend those posters who have been pointing at Craig all along.

I really hope we get another season, I've so enjoyed this one. It's so different from anything else on tv & it's fun trying to figure out who the saboteur is (although, I agree, some of the clues were really ridiculous, lattitude & longitude numbers?? Come on!) But other than that, it was a really enjoyable show.

August 12 2008 at 4:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply