October 24, 2014

Eureka: Best In Faux

by Brett Love, posted Aug 13th 2008 9:23AM

Salli Richardson and Colin Ferguson - Eureka
(S03E03) We're still too early in the season to get too deep into the bigger picture mystery. In fact, the clues that were given this week where Eva's plans are concerned made the whole thing even more confusing. That's ok though, we've got lots of time for that story to grow. In the meantime, "Best In Faux" was another quirky stand-alone that got a lot of things right. The yearly dog show managed to dovetail with some crazy science, Zoey's homework, and some fantastic guest casting to deliver a very fun hour of television.

Let's kick it off with the puppies. It's easy to see what Eva sees in that project. Aside from the scientific gains to be had, who wouldn't want one of those robotic dogs? I'd never really put it together, but that's the thing that's kept me from getting a dog. None of the real ones can be shut off and tossed in the closet when I just don't have time to deal with them. The one drawback to the pups was that they did create a bit of a continuity error. How is it possible that this is such a hotly contested yearly contest and Carter has no idea about it?

Lexa Doig - EurekaThat's easily forgiven though, as the dogs lended themselves well to the story. The logic diamond was a bit of the crazy science, but I really liked the way it all came together. The dogs with homegrown logic diamonds, Zoey's acoustic physics homework being used to create the homegrown diamonds, and the diamonds causing the magma pocket. If that wasn't enough, it also provided the opportunity for the show to invite Lexa Doig (SG-1, Andromeda) back. We first saw her last season in "Maneater." And if they want to bring Dr. Young back again next week, I'm all for it. Much like pie, you can never have too much Lexa Doig.

As great as it was to see Doig return, she wasn't even the best guest star in the episode. How do you not like Alan Ruck as Dr. Wood? He was just nutty enough to make you wonder. Add to that the idea of a disgraced scientist trying to regain some notoriety, something we've seen before, and he was quickly on the short list of suspects. He also had more than a little in common with Carter. Everyone was so eager to dismiss his warnings, because they all know better. Something we've seen time and again where Carter is concerned. The tunneler was also very good as a gadget and an idea. The effects were a little iffy, but apparently MARTHA was very expensive.

The tunneler also set the stage for more of the Carter/Stark relationship. There's still some contention, but the two do seem to be warming up to each other. Something we see with Carter asking, "What do you want to do tomorrow?" And moreso with Stark pausing to actually offer Carter praise for a job well done. As the two becomes closer, it makes the Carter/Allison/Stark triangle all that much more interesting.

Regarding that, I'm still firmly in the camp that the wedding isn't going to happen. I felt like we got a little peek at that in the scene between Carter and Allison when she was stuck in the wedding dress. We heard once again how pressure makes you do crazy things, and it was followed by a look from Carter that said, "Like marrying the wrong guy."

As far as Eva, I'm as confused as ever. We all knew that Henry's pardon was coming so she could use him as she moved her plan forward, but I still don't have a bead on just what that plan is. The age, the vial, the film, and now the heretofore theoretical radiation all add up to... not sure. Going off of that evidence, perhaps the vile is the elixir of life and Eureka, with the rare radiation, is the one place where conditions exist to create it.

Overall, still waiting to get to the meat of the bigger story, but this was a fun episode.

Other fun bits:
-- Favorite crazy science of the night. Logic diamond processors connected with tantolin tantalum beams.

-- Fargo entering a real dog to win the contest was funny.

-- Carter's reaction to Stark asking for a favor. "That's how you ask? Who raised you!?"

-- "You're wearing my whole batch of misty green."

Should Carter trust that Henry is on his side where Eva is concerned?
Absolutely, that relationship has been repaired.105 (34.8%)
Benefit of the doubt maybe, but he needs to be cautious.190 (62.9%)
No, he should have learned his lesson.7 (2.3%)

leah

"My mother said that pressure creates diamonds. Don't you want to be a diamond?"

Lou, I think you're putting way too much thought into this. Don't sweat the details, just enjoy the show for what it is.

August 14 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lou

hey, like I said in my post. I thought Fargo had made the extra effort to MAKE the dog pee. (just like a REAL one).

really, was it a dog show, or a robot show?

Secondly, what ever happened to lab 27? you know, the big ass UNDERGROUND lab? do you suppose they escaped the lava? Or is it magma? or the big tunnel that they wanted to drop the bubble shielded Fargo into last season? was it filled too?

I think they need to start mapping Eureka's secret bunkers so they don't make these types of goofs again

August 14 2008 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

I did catch that preview, saying the show that changes everything, but I'll have to see it. It certainly seems that business will be picking up next week, but I've long since lost trust in the Sci Fi promotional department.

August 14 2008 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Brett, You say you want some meat..did you listen to previews.. doesn't it say someone will die.. or be gone... the show that changes everything

August 14 2008 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Another nit. that's tantalum beams not tantolin.

August 14 2008 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Brett Love

Mike, I did not know the word tantalum, but a quick search tells me yours is the better answer. I went with tantolin because, in an odd coincidence, I found a list of articles from Electronics Cooling Magazine with a Christian Tantolin listed as an author. Didn't seem a big stretch to have cooling beams for the logic diamond processor designed by Tantolin. Crazy the things you learn.

August 14 2008 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preach

Alan Ruck was fantastic, but i just couldn't help thinking of Taggart (Matt Frewer), the way Ruck's character was dressed and a bit "out there".

Why can't they just bring his character back?

August 13 2008 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Preach's comment
Carissa

What happened to Taggart, and what happened to that chick that ran the bed and breakfast? I just cannot remember how they were written off.

Fun episode, however. And I like Ruck more than Frewer, so go me. LOL

August 13 2008 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Taggart hasn't been written off, but according to the writer's blog there was a scheduling conflict so they weren't able to get him into the first eight episodes. They do say that he will return at some point and that they already have a story in mind for him.

Beverly wasn't really written out of the show. She escaped at the end of season two from what would have undoubtedly been some serious prosecution. She's still out there somewhere as a possibility to come back, but I haven't seen anything that says she will be.

August 13 2008 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmy stamp

It's usually too convenient, but I really like how all the plot lines-the dogs, the magma, the homework- tie together. The writers must have so much fun working out these stories. And Alan Ruck was fantastic. I'd love to see more shows with him and Carter pallin' around looking crazy in front of the rest of the town. The best part of this episode though? No egregious Degree product placement!

August 13 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

um... what was the deal with Stark essentially stealing a diamond for his new wife's wedding ring... and Carter allowing him?? it looked like embezzlement to me...

August 13 2008 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to david's comment
Argus

I thought that was odd too. Not that Carter allowed it, he's basically a doormatt, but that nobody else bothered to pipe up "Umm... is that really a good efficient use of resources?"

It might be so that her necklace can come in handy later though.

August 13 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I loved Alan Ruck in this. He was clearly having a great time.

I was amused in how the dogs actually tied into the "now we have earthquakes and lava" plot.

August 13 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

That "Who RAISED you?" was priceless. I was howling with laughter.

And yes, I think the dog was real. The way Fargo dashed out the door when Carter said, "But I thought you said these dogs couldn't...?" was pretty incriminating.

I like the way the Carter/Zoe relationship is developing, as well.

But, Brett, allow me one nit-pick? VIAL, not VILE. VILE means despicable. Think of it this way: VILE Eva holds the mysterious VIAL. Bless you.

August 13 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Karen's comment
Brett Love

Ack. You are completely right Karen. I've fixed it. Thanks.

August 13 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply