November 1, 2014

Project Runway: Welcome to the Jungle

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 14th 2008 8:23AM
Brooke Shields(S05E05) In this episode, Brooke Shields stopped by to have the designers make something for her character to wear in the new season of Lipstick Jungle. Two things surprised me. A) Lipstick Jungle hasn't been canceled yet and B) Brooke Shields still looks fantastic. Maybe it's because I wasn't watching in HD, but still.

For the first time this season, the designers were broken into teams for the challenge. Last season, it seemed like the majority of the season consisted of team challenges, so I was surprised that it took five episodes before they got around to it for this group. I guess I was surprised by a lot of things in this episode.

Winning Design

So, that's the winning outfit. Brooke Shields played guest judge. Check out the other designs here.

Blayne [ALMOST AUF'D] and Leanne: How dare they? How dare they?! Sure, Kelli deserved to be Auf'd this week, but how dare Bravo tease us the the possibility of Blayne's departure? I stupidly got my hopes up as he stood on that runway, looking anxious, and I couldn't help but topple out of my seat in defeat when Heidi told him that he was safe. Damn it. Anyway, I'm over it now, for I know his time will come soon. His outfit this week was kind of a mess, and he somehow managed to make model-boobs look droopy, which is a feat in itself. Bless Brooke Shields' heart for calling him out for being "a little bratty." Also, I counted one "-licious" and it was quite enough, thank you. Leanne didn't do much onscreen. I found myself weirdly drawn to that strange, handmade collar thingy she was wearing on the runway. I think it's because my current favorite jacket has a ridiculously high collar like that and I like to hide my face in it, the way Leanne was when the judges were bitching out Blayne.

Kelli [AUF'D] and Daniel: I absolutely adored the colors involved in this piece, but everything else was a mess. What was up with that top? They aren't designing for a flat-chested model, they're designing for Brooke Shields. She would have looked ridiculous in that. Kelli was ultimately Auf'd for her questionable tastes, which is kind of surprising because everyone was fawning over her creativity in the first challenge. That was only a few episodes ago, but I suppose poor usage of animal print counts heavily. Speaking of immediately damning qualities, Daniel's uppity attitude was definitely not cool, but my frustration with his tone was immediately distracted by Kenley's super-bitchy giggling. Just about everyone from this season could use an attitude adjustment. Really.

Jerell and Stella: This outfit definitely deserved to win! Jerell and Stella made a solid team. Jerell's work seems to be a little loose and soft and Stella does well with lot of hard lines. Their collaboration came up with something interesting and well-fitted. If they had switched out that zebra belt for a really simple, shiny black belt, it would have been impeccable.

Korto and Joe: I was so surprised that Joe wasn't panicking from the get-go. If someone with immunity picked me as their partner, I would have done everything in my power to make sure that everything was perfect. I agreed with Tim Gunn when he said that their orange top looked like a giant sweet potato, but I was impressed by how to they de-potatoed it with some strategic folds. The colors and trim were a bit reminiscent of that Eastern trend that hit stores, like, seven years ago, though.

Keith and Kenley: [WINNER] I didn't think this was quite as nice as Jerell and Stella's piece, but it was definitely worthy of the top two. Now, if only someone could get Kenley to know when to keep her mouth shut.

Terri and Suede: Suede referred to himself in the third person once, I think. Do these people need to see themselves on television before realizing how ridiculous they sound? This outfit was all right. I don't think it really worked for Brooke Shields specifically, but I believe they followed through with the slightly bohemian chic direction. Jerell had no right to pull faces and say that Terri and Suede had made a mess, not after that eyesore he sent down the runway last week.

Next week: Chris March and a whole lot of drag queens. Drag queens! I don't think I can fully express just how ridiculously excited I am. No lie. Actually, I think this is the first time I've been excited about anything this season.

Who should have gone home?
Kelli26 (11.5%)
Blayne130 (57.5%)
Daniel65 (28.8%)
Leanne1 (0.4%)
Other4 (1.8%)

La-Di-Dah

by the way, Terri's comments about balls, vi-jay-jay and tits cracked me up.

I wholly agreed with these statements:
Brooke to Blayne: "I'm a little scared...." Yes, honey, so are we, but insert "lot" where "little".
Blayne to audience: "I stuck out like a sore thumb." I believe you. TO-tally.

August 14 2008 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I agree that Daniel is a fool/tool, but Kenley is just hitting on my last nerve with her bitchiness/arrogance to the max, worse because it is on the sly and kinda sneaks up on you (after you take it for granted that she is a nice person; she is not). I really don't like to call anyone the b-word, but she just ... argh.

I really wanted Jerrell and Stella to win; as soon as he picked her last but sweetened the partnership with the promise of leather, I was rooting for them. He totally tuned out a fabulous design and she put the beat to the leather (without taking it over the top), and their creation was a-MA-zing. I hated that the potato, Keith, and that ghoul, Kenley, won.

August 14 2008 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Maybe I am going crazy, but I am actually finding Blayne entertaining. I didn't like him at first, but he is growing on me... slightly.

I was talking with my partner about Korto last night and we both agreed that she is the bitchiest person on the show.. HOWEVER when she bitches out it is for sound and logical reasons. Her chat with her team mate was completely right and I loved how she threw in the 'tude just to highlight the point. She is a great role-model for a black woman. Sensible and logical with attitude!

I am also very disappointed Jerelle and Leatha didn't win, they had the best outfit and it was a true collaboration. I think it just came down to the belt as you said.

August 14 2008 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I was hoping Daniel would go just because I am tired of his "high end fashion" spiel and then him throwing out cheap, poorly designed crap on the runway. But his days are numbered I'm sure.

Blayne's outfit looked like the model went and pulled 3 random things out of The Gap. This outfit would be cute for a 17 year old at a beach party... but definitely NOT appropriate for Brooke Shields or her character.

I'm surprised no one commented on how bad Korto's dress was fitted. She took off the jacket and the sides stuck out below the underarms- yikes.

I thought Jerell should have won. His look captured the Jungle theme and Brooke's character better than any of the other ones.

August 14 2008 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I am enjoying most of the designs and designers this season but I am once again dismayed at the choices being made by the judges/producers.

Daniel is a complete and utter tool. He should have been gone last night.

August 14 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

there were so many great bitchy comments last night! finally a good episode! I think I fell in love with Kenley and her bitchiness.

I didn't like ANY of the designs.

Unfortunately - for my sanity - I would actually wear Blayne's, but only on a weekend going shopping or something - never to work and certainly never to a cocktail party. I think it's Brooke's fault she picked it. And ENOUGH with the -licious and "holla at your boy" comments. Seriously you are not Christian Siriano!

How incredibly poorly made was Joe's dress that went under Korto's jacket (which except for the color I loved)!? Weird cuz I thought those two were the best designers of the bunch.

Jerrel maybe redeemed himself, we'll see. Daniel is a tool.

So excited for Marsh to come back next week! whoo hoo.

August 14 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i am really excited for next week too!

August 14 2008 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply