July 24, 2014

Alex O'Loughlin inks deal with CBS...now if they could just create a show like Moonlight...

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 15th 2008 10:39AM
Alex O'Loughlin stays with CBSI can't decide if this is good news or bad news. Moonlight star Alex O'Loughlin is staying at CBS.

Unless you've been in another galaxy for the past year, you know that the Aussie actor cultivated an enormous fan base with his role as vampire P.I. Mick St. John on CBS' Moonlight. The uproar caused by the cancellation of the show in May can still be heard, well, in another galaxy.

At the Television Critics Association press tour in July, CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler said the popularity of Moonlight was due in large part to O'Loughlin's fan base. So I can appreciate the fact that CBS wants to keep him around. But it's what they'll do with him that has me worried.

Under the one-year talent holding deal, O'Loughlin will star in a new series project for CBS to be developed by producer Mark Gordon, whose ABC Studio-based company is behind such series as ABC's Grey's Anatomy, Lifetime's Army Wives, and CBS' Criminal Minds.

It'll make my blood curl if they saddle him with some wimpy Grey's Anatomy-type show. I'm not dissing the show - I'm a huge fan, even during its crummiest seasons. But I'd hate to see O'Loughlin land in some milquetoast ensemble show when he clearly has the chops to headline a unique, fresh series.

You know, like Moonlight. Now if they could just create a show like that for him to star in...

Lisa Falcone Mirabel

I hate to tell you but aside from AO's popularity, people now a days have an an affinity for Vampires, ie Twightlight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries. He was the sexiest Vampire though. If CBS knows what is good for them, they will keep him around forever and think about bringing back Moonlight.

April 09 2011 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fanofmoonlight

I agree. I started to watch Moonlight because of the fantasy/romance element. They would probable look to stick AO in procedural drama and I stopped watching those CSI shows because they were really depressing. Moonlight is an uplifting show. And leaves you with a feel good feeling at the end of every episode. That is why it did so well, even if AO started to act in another drama, without the fantasy element, his regular fans would desert the show in the end. Besides, I believe it is the current economic crisis that is fueling the popularity of the show, as it did during the summer with fantasy related movies. It is a great form of escapism, especially on a weekend or a Friday night marking the end of stressful week. I bet the same people who watched Moonlight weren't all the same ones that switched over to 20/20 unless it was something positive in the programming.

I feel sorry that the show left off at a cliffhanger ending, no doubt Twilight will bring in big numbers just like Harry Potter had, and CBS will be writhing in agony over their loss because when all those Twilight fans turn towards the small screen for their fantasy/romance/drama fix, it will be towards HBO's true blood and not CBS' Moonlight. I am sure that is what HBO realizes and is banking on for in the near future.

October 13 2008 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janie

I agree with most of the posts, I had not heard of alex until I watched moonlight, I started watching it for the entertainment value, not for the actors/actresses.
On another note there is a worldwide fan base of the show, As I live in England, And its getting very popular over here, or so germany has a big fanbase.
So why cancel, when they had a great programme. it baffles me.

October 11 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cj

I LOVED THE SHOW MOONLIGHT. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO CANCEL IT. I WATCHED SHOW EX'S LIST TONIGHT AND IT WAS HORRIBLE. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PUT SUCH TRASH ON WHEN THEY HAD A GREAT THING GOING WITH MOONLIGHT. DUMB NETWORK. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST LET SHOWS ON THAT PEOPLE LIKE. I LOVED THE RELATIONSHIP OF MICK AND BETH. IF YOUR GOING TO KEEP ALEX PUT HIM IN ANOTHER VAMPIRE SHOW HE'S HOT...HE HAS A GREAT FAN BASE. COME ON PEOPLE HELP LET'S WRITE THE NETWORK. IF THEY LISTEN THAT IS..........

October 04 2008 at 4:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JANE ELON

mick and beth brought the screen alight,t.v. chemistry is hard to find.not since the days of moolighting or remmington steele.

September 25 2008 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary_czak

JUST BRING MOONLIGHT BACK - realize CBS you screwed up!!!! Correct your mistake - save face & maybe some of the unhappy former viewers of your station will return...............maybe. Enough "crap" has been coming out of the mouth of Nina Tassler to last two lifetimes - she is an idiot (get rid of her)!!!! Bring Moonlight back & all the cast members for that matter - let them show you what they can offer CBS & you will get a show that will shine above all others. But you have to bring MOONLIGHT back for a Second Season first!!!!

August 28 2008 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nanajudes

Ms Tessler took a hit show and cancelled it beause of personal reasons and an inflated ego .... she didn't get what she wanted so she a peoples choice award winner and through it away for no other reason than her personal pride .. isn't that supposed to go away when you become a head of a network and when you are to listen to the viewers and the viewers wanted moonlight with its entire cast .... she thought the fans of moonlight would go with Alex but she just can't get it and that makes her so unqualified for her position ... if she thinks that Alex made moonlight .. moonlight made Alex .. and we want our moonlight back .... Mick St John was the perfect vehicle for Alex ... We loved the characters that the entire cast gave us .. and that is a big reason for the success of moonlight .. sorry Alex but we need you back in moonlight .. you are a beautiful man with a great deal of talent and I will always be a fan ... I look foreward to all your movies and mini series but not on CBS until they wake up and give the fans back their moonlight ..

August 27 2008 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Great news about Alex O'Loughlin but trying to create another project "like" Moonlight? It's time for Nina Tassler and TPTB at CBS to wake up and realize that they already have a project "like" Moonlight and it is Moonlight itself. Bring it back and give it the proper promotion and backing that it should have had instead of being cancelled on one of Nina's whims. She is too busy insulting the Moonlight fan base to realize that she screwed up. If Nina and TPTB at CBS TRULY want to see
Alex O'Loughlin succeed, then bring back the show that introduced him to us and allowed us to become fans - MOONLIGHT - It's time for Nina Tassler to put aside her arrogance, stop insulting the intelligence of the viewers/fans of Moonlight and listen to what is being said here. Start respecting the viewer and stop feeding your ego, Nina.

August 27 2008 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene K

Don't expect much from Nina Tassler, she seems like a person who could care less about what the viewing public wants. I think she needs to get knocked down her high pedestal. Do you know what a snob is? Sorry folks for being a little sarcastic here, but it just irritates me to no end when someone can lie to cover their own %$@ with the media and come up with excuses for why she let go of a terrific show like Moonlight.

August 20 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fanofvamps

Jane I have to totally agree with you! I don't know if it is good news or bad? I just hope that CBS and Nina does'nt screw over Alex again! I loved the whole chemistry and cast of Moonlight and it will be missed. They had so many stories that could have gone on and so many things left unexplained.

August 19 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply