October 30, 2014

Mdchen Amick joins My Own Worst Enemy - VIDEO

by Brett Love, posted Aug 15th 2008 8:38AM

Mdchen Amick - My Own Worst EnemySome day I should probably type up an official list of the actresses who, by their mere presence, will guarantee I'll watch a series. The fact that I saw every episode of Freddie should serve as proof that Mädchen Amick is on that list. After following that up with Viva Laughlin, I think we can all agree that this latest role has her career moving in the generally upwards direction.

My Own Worst Enemy was already on my short list of new shows to keep an eye on in the fall. It's an interesting premise, has Christian Slater, and the previews look great. The addition of Amick just makes it that much more intriguing. She'll be taking over the role of Henry's wife that was originally played by Yara Martinez (The Unit). It's a bit of rough luck for Martinez. Before this she was set to appear in that ill-fated Spaced remake.

This all comes on the heels of other changes for Enemy. The show's creator, Jason Smilovic (Kidnapped), has made way for John Eisendrath (Alias) to take over as showrunner. The show will premiere in the cushy post-Heroes slot beginning on October 13th. Have a look at the preview, complete with some Yara Martinez footage that isn't long for this world.

StillBash

I love Mädchen Amick because of two reasons:

1) Dawson's Creek
2) Her first name is german and mens "girl" :-)

August 19 2008 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon thomas

Worst show ever .... I feel bad because they are trowing away millions in advertisements during Olympics for that trash

Journeyman would have filled that time slot nicely

August 17 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jon thomas's comment
eric f

Um, I saw the advance preview of the pilot on Unbox, and it is great. I was pleasantly surprised.

October 10 2008 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thatguyizzy

That's kind of weird. Her first name is actually the German word for 'girl'. At least it reminds me of a scene from 30 Rock where Cerie is deciding on a name for a baby she wants to have.

"I already have all the names picked out. If it's a girl, Bookcase or Sandstorm or maybe Hat, but that's more of a boys name."

August 15 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ducdebrabant

That's interesting. I was planning to watch the show for Yara Martinez. "Tough luck" for the show that they just lost me as a potential viewer. Martinez might be better off in the long run, since this show has flop sweat all over it. They replaced the show-runner ten days ago, the idea seems stupid (one of those vanity challenges they use to entice name stars like Slater) and much too weak to hang a series on, and Amick's presence adds little for me. Plus, there's something that doesn't smell right about replacing a Latina with a nice Waspy girl next door right after they've gotten enough of the show in the can to test with focus groups.

August 15 2008 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Somebody saw BBC's JEKYLL and didn't want to pay for the rights. Which is a shame, as it would have saved us from the horror that is this title. Why not just call it "Perfect Strangers"?

August 15 2008 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to David's comment
ducdebrabant

Why not call it "Their Own Worst Enemies." That would apply to the creative team, it seems to me.

August 16 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Oh good, it's not just me. I took one look at the commercial for this and it just screamed "Jekyll".

August 17 2008 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply