October 25, 2014

The Daily Show: August 14, 2008 - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 15th 2008 12:39PM
Jon Stewart and Rob Riggle"All the Gori Details": Russia and Georgia's conflict rages on, even though everyone else is playing pool games at the Olympics. President Bush and company seem to think that this sort of conflict is, like, so old. The show managed to perfectly nail Condoleezza Rice's disapproval of overthrowing government. This was kind of depressing, actually. I would have liked to see more cartoon clips of Michael Phelps swimming against Black Manta.

"Chasing the Dragon": Senior Olympics Correspondent Rob Riggle wrapped up his week of reporting from Beijing, China. I thought his segments were going to be more about the Olympics than China itself, but it was still fantastic. Probably Rob's best work in the history of the show. That Chinese newsman he talked to, Rui Chenggang, either is a total douche or has a fantastic deadpan face. His verbal smack in the face over Rob's bootleg DVD was hilarious. Rob's video resume was also wonderful, in all its horrible Comic Sans-y glory. And finally, I don't feel like such a horrible Chinese-American! I could recognize the two characters for "Exit" at the Wal-Mart. Boom, Rob Riggle walked into the Exit. Huge success.

The night's guest was Ben Stiller, promoting Tropic Thunder. Hey! Jon and Mr. Stiller are the same height! Adorable. That entire discussion about their kids' obsessions was also wonderful. However, I got super-antsy when Jon started talking about Tom Cruise. Most people don't even know he's even in the movie. I was planning on seeing the film over the weekend and, even though I already knew about the surprise appearance, I had my hands hovering over my ears for potential major spoilers. I suppose Jon didn't spoil much, because it seems like the biggest part of Tom Cruise's role involves some ridiculous costume and make-up.

Jon/Stephen: Stephen Colbert's a little jealous that Jon and the gang are heading out to Denver to cover the Democratic National Convention on the 26th. Moment of Zen: Rob Riggle vs. tiny white mouse.

Don't forget, both TDS and The Colbert Report will be gone next week! When Jon and company return, it'll be a new set at the DNC.

Dan Sarazen

Actually Annie,

It's a week and a day. How sad, Nothing new until tonight.

August 26 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Sarazen

Why was the 8/18/08 a rerun? The rest of the week are all new shows...I think.

August 19 2008 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Sarazen

Why wasn't the 8/18/08 show new? All the others for the week seem to be. Another vacation Jon "G.W. Bush" Stewart?

August 19 2008 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan Sarazen's comment
Annie W.

As I mentioned in the review, the show is taking this week off to prepare for their special Democratic National Convention reports in Denver. New episodes will return on Tuesday the 26th.

August 19 2008 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jam

everyone took friday+weekend off from reading/replying comments?

aww shucks

anyway, here it is(was).

"Fly-day"

(It's much better in person with the accent)

August 18 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladi

I love the Daily Show and John Stewart, that being said, I was offended at the off handed way he through in "my son thinks that is so gay" during the interview with Ben Stiller. Does he let his kid use the word "gay" as a put down? John Stewart should know that he has a gay following and while I understand that truly no one is off limits in the show, he was talking about his home life and his child. He shouldn't let me think that in his house it is okay to belittle and discriminate against people that are different in general, and gay in particular.

August 16 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I'm always a little suprised when I see the words like exit and entrance use the exact same Chinese characters in both Japanese and Chinese. Its like I'm learning 1.1 languages at once! Thanks Daily Show for informing me!

August 15 2008 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jam

I'm gonna need to go through this week's episodes with a fine tooth comb if I dont catch a good chinese 'punny' today after work from the Thursday show.

I was lmao the first time I saw Stephen do Ching Chong Ding Dong. I tried it a few times, but couldnt nail it. I did however did manage to imitate Jackie Chan's "Whose calling?" outttake from rushhour2 pretty well, according to my highschool friends.

I'll share my chinese-joke-of-the-'week'.

did anyone know that today is "Chinese Aviation Day"?
(please respond if you do)

August 15 2008 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply