October 25, 2014

How I Met Your Bride? There's a wedding set for October

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 16th 2008 8:20AM
Sarah Chalke Josh RadnorAfter the season finale of How I Met Your Mother last May, Joel asked readers if they believed that Ted would marry Stella. Nearly 61% of you responded to that poll in the negative. Six out of ten answered: "Nah. I just don't think she's the mother."

So, then, what do we make of the fact that there is definitely going to be a wedding for Ted and Stella in an October episode. That proposal from Ted to Stella in that last episode receives a yes, and he and Stella would seem to be heading down the aisle.

I say seem because if television has taught us anything it's that just because he's in a tuxedo and she's in a wedding gown, that doesn't guarantee that both will say "I do."

Even if they do go through with the wedding, though, does that mean that Stella is actually "mother"? Is it possible that Ted and Stella get married and break up before Ted hooks up with the character who is destined to be the mother that he's talking to the kids about in the openings.

One thing about Mother co-creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, they keep us viewers on our toes.

As Joel pointed out in his season finale review, Ted is a very romantic guy. He's apt to get carried away with Stella, think that he's ready for marriage, go through the whole nine yards of planning a wedding, and then get cold feet.

I could definitely see that as the trajectory to get us to the brink of a big wedding, which, interestingly enough, is not planned for November sweeps, but October. If this wedding were the real thing, wouldn't they want it to be a major sweeps event?

I'm going to state right here and now that I don't believe the Sarah Chalke's character is the real mother. She's Stella, a woman who plays an important role in Ted's life, but I don't think she's going to be revealed as the mother to those kids.

[via TVTattle.com]

prangec

I would bet you that there will be a Stella wedding as a process, but no Stella wedding in terms of them saying I do. I bet someone will use the opportunity to "speak now and not remain silent forever", and I should think it would be Robin that speaks up, they decide to give it another shot with Ted and she moves in, which solves the problem with Robin living at Ted's on his 31st birthday (the goat notwithstandin)

September 14 2008 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to prangec's comment
Heather

My theory is that Robin moves into Ted's apartment after coming back from Tokyo, for whatever reason, after he moves to NJ, then he and Stella break up and he has to move back...thus Ted and Robin live together.

October 12 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

In the St. Patty's day episode Ted said that it turned out that the mother was at the same party that night, but they never met. If you look back at that episode there is a moment when Ted and this girl bump into eachother, apologize, and then walk away. The only purpose that could have served was for this girl to end up being the mother that was also at the party - they can then flashback to it or something.

September 02 2008 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

It doesn't matter. I'm fairly confident this entire season is one large buildup to a break-up in the end which will end with Ted on his knees crying "STELLA!". I mean, c'mon, there's no way it can happen any other way.

August 21 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Great. What about your spoiler policy? SPOILERS AFTER THE JUMP Allison.

Shame on you.

August 19 2008 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Umm... so that was a pretty big spoiler to put in a freaking headline...

August 19 2008 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

People are forgetting that in some families the label "aunt" and "uncle" are applied to friends of parents. It seems more like an older generation thing to me. My grandparents' friends are "aunt" and "uncle" but my own aunts and uncles are referred to simply by first name. It's a similar idea to not referring to adults as "Mr." and "Mrs.", but simply by first name.

In HIMYM it seems that older Ted sometimes uses titles and sometimes not, even when referring to the same people. For example, sometimes it's "aunt Lily" and sometimes it's just "Lily".

August 18 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Robin is "Aunt Robin" because Barney is Ted's "brother." Rob in and Barney clearly have a future together.

August 17 2008 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HD Guy

This is the classic Gilligan's Island problem here - if they get off the island...there's no show. If they just say...yup here's Mom, it kills things and they know it. We'll find out in who, how and why in the final season...maybe not even till the last episode(s).

HIMYM is smart and funny - they are not gonna screw it up now.

-and just for the record I was one of the people who saw that Robin-Barney thing coming from the first season...just sayin'.

August 16 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rljones

In the very first show, when Ted met Robin, the narrative was that was when he met their Aunt Robin. And Robins sister was in the corner crying. Robin's sister is the mother.

August 16 2008 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I don't think she's the mother because the whole premise of the show is old Ted telling the story to his kids-- they were fooled initially when they thought Robin was the mother, but if Stella is the mother, they'd know about the older half-sibling that the mother already had before they met.

August 16 2008 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply