November 23, 2014

Swingtown: Get Down Tonight

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 16th 2008 10:01AM
Josh Hopkins -Swingtown(S01E11) Roger and Susan finally had that moment. After eleven episodes, when he showed up in her kitchen and said what we've been waiting to hear him say -- "I love you, Susan" -- it was cathartic. Done to the tune of Carole King singing, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" Swingtown grabbed me by the throat, leaving me dying to see what would happen next. Only that was the end of the show.

I guess that's a good thing, being on the edge of my seat, hungry for more. Of course the next episode is two weeks away and probably the last of the show unless CBS deigns to bring it back in 2009. Based on the level of interest I have and I've seen from readers, Swingtown has earned a second season.

But I digress, let's get back to "Get Down Tonight." There was an awful lot of getting down, including the kids. BJ and Ricky had a hot game of strip poker with Sam and her very mature cousin Lisa. Not surprisingly, Ricky was all bluff and ran for the hills when things got too advanced, while BJ showed again that he's a real mensch (Yiddish for a quality person).

The driving lesson with Doug and Julie reminded me of a similar scene early this summer on Army Wives, only on that show it was between a mother and a daughter and involved hands. This one had sponges, a plunger, a frisbee and lead to sex. But the sex was the least important development of the lesson. It was a prelude to the scene in the car when Laurie was with her dad and Bruce -- at last -- expressed his pride in her. Sometimes Bruce is the slowest character.

I'm having a real problem with Susan. I get that she's sublimating her feelings for Roger by having sex with Bruce -- and faking an orgasm -- then going dancing with the Deckers and asking Trina for Quaaludes before initiating the swapping in the pool. I get it, but I don't like it. Maybe I'm getting too Janet here, but I've lost respect for Susan. I thought her character had more principle than this.

My heart, though, really goes out to Roger. It took guts to go back to Dr. Gardiner for therapy. When she said to him, "The only way to tackle a problem is to give it a name," and he answered, "Susan," it was a perfect moment. Really well-written. They should make Dr. Gardiner a regular.

The previews gave away a really big plot twist in the next episode -- Trina's pregnant? -- and it looks like Bruce is determined to push Susan away. I can't wait.

Other points of interest

-- That scene of Susan faking an orgasm reminded me of When Harry Met Sally? Bruce claimed that he knew she faked it. Hmm, I don't know about that. If she hadn't 'fessed up...

-- I loved Tom's Saturday Night Fever outfit, white polyester vest and bell bottoms. Also, wasn't that dance scene great? The dance was called The New Yorker. I'd love to see them do more of that, even though it's not really a show that lends itself to musical scenes.

-- Interesting...Tina's the one with the money in the Decker house. That explains the luxurious lifestyle. I thought they said previously that she was an airline hostess. Her having money was news to me. The way the discussed the investment in the club was a great example of why I love the Deckers. They talk.

-- Exactly how anal retentive is Janet? That schedule she showed Roger was too much. However, she's going to be running the newspaper office if she gets the chance. However, what a sad commentary on her as a woman that she can only think of happiness in terms of Roger getting a new job and everything reverting to the way it was. I'd like to see her get some ambition for herself. She is woman, hear her roar!

-- The disco -- Jet -- seemed like a Studio 54 wannabe, especially with the RollerRena character and the gays mixing with the straights. Bruce wasn't very cool with other men ogling Susan, not to mention men dancing with men.

-- Good touch in the grocery store, Stove Top Stuffing. That was a new product in 1972.

-- Have you noticed how Laurie's eyebrows are very Ali MacGraw in Love Story.
How likely is it that Susan and Roger will make love?
Very very likely69 (40.6%)
Probably48 (28.2%)
No, they won't go that far53 (31.2%)

nattyff

Actually, we already knew that trina was loaded, when she run with her ex (who was loaded too, and trina's parents wanted them married)

August 19 2008 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jic

This show is just amazing and I really hope they renew for a second season. I keep checking Google all the time to see if there is talk of a second season.
I have fallen in love with all of the characters. This was a time that was so interesting and complicated. There is just so much they can do with this show. Please, please, please bring it back!!! Or like HD guy said maybe HBO or Showtime will pick it up. It would probably be better...even more racy!

August 18 2008 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

I agree this was a great episode. And I'm so thankful that CBS does havr the whole episodes online, since I was too involved with BB10 live feeds & the Olympics, when I realized Swingtown was almost over.
I really hope CBS gives Swingtown a second season, it has so many directions it can go & needs a chance to explore. Why do they keep crappy shows...Ahem....NCIS? Does anyone really watch that? The only time I ever hear about that show, is when Entertainment Tonight does a promo & that's only because they are the same network.
But back to Swingtown....Does anyone else have a problem with the actress that plays Laurie? I do not like her one bit.
And Trina pg with Doug's baby? Oh my! They can't cancel this now?!?!?

August 18 2008 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Hey Zkam....can't reply to you or me, sooo...

I think they have been showing he is trying too hard to be a tough guy, talking a big game, and if I recall, there was an episode where he seemed upset that BJ was with Sam to begin with....I could be totally wrong, but it's just a feeling I get. We may never know! I'm also guessing his anger at Roger wearing an apron and Janet going to work is playing into this and his confusion about gender roles. Again...I may be completely wrong. But I still love to chat about it!

August 17 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The whole time I was watching this amazing, delicious episode, I felt sad that this show might not be coming back. It's SO GOOD. How can people not be glued to the TV for this hour????? It's pure candy, and so well done. I'll be so sad if it gets the ax. :(

August 16 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HD Guy

I wish HBO or Showtime would pick up this show. CBS is gonna axe it - moving the show to Fridays is the kiss of death. HBO could sure use a decent show - they've lost several greats (Rome, Deadwood, etc) and replaced it with crap (John from Cincinnati, Tell me you love Me).

Not getting my hopes up. Save Swingtown!

August 16 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

What a great episode. I loved the dance scenes, too. I can remember those dances, and we actually had to do them in gym class! LOL - times sure have changed.

The final scene, when Roger went to Susan...gawd...their kiss tore right into me. So well acted. I could feel what they were feeling, that moment when you know its so wrong and yet there is nothing more right in the world.

I think I figured out my problem with the kids in the show. Their storylines never seem to "fit" with the theme of the show. They just cut to them at odd moments and ruin what I'm into with the adults. It seems like two different shows. Other shows can mesh these types of scenes better, but I am not sure exactly what it is that is off.

I know they are pointing in the direction of Rick being gay, but I am having a hard time with the storyline. The kid isn't believable in the role. Maybe it's just me.

So Trina may be pregnant with Bruce's child. Good God - what tangled webs we weave! When this show goes away, I am really going to miss the Deckers. They are so damned cool. But, I was surprised that Grant Show wasn't a better dancer.

Thanks, TV squad. I know I can ramble about this show, but I don't know anyone who watches it and I do love to chat about this program! Here's hoping "Life On Mars" has enough 70s to fortify me this fall.

August 16 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Carissa's comment
tv.squad.zkam

Has there been anything pointing in the direction of Ricky being gay, other than him not wanting Sam to take her clothes off?

August 17 2008 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Whether or not Ricky is gay, he clearly has a crush on BJ. He's extremely possessive and always trying to get between BJ and Sam. When BJ and Ricky had to clean the basement as punishment and BJ recalled making forts when younger, Ricky scoffed, then decided to join in the reverie. When Ricky forcibly kissed Sam and she socked him during the Spin the Bottle game, just before he kissed her she was saying, "I know how you feel about BJ..." Basically, BJ is oblivious, Ricky is confused and acts out as though he's a big player with the ladies--classic denial--and Sam knows exactly what's going on.

I actually think the actor who plays Ricky is doing a fairly good job with a difficult role--you can imagine the uproar from the usual suspects who already hate the idea of this show if there were a more unequivocal storyline where a 14-yr old boy might be attracted to his best friend. So everything has to be subtle, and you just have to observe how Ricky lights up when he's with BJ vs. how he acts at other times, how he's always dismissive of Sam while bragging about how he'd like to get down with the chick with big hooters in Bruce's Playboy, and read between the lines.

Given how little screen time BJ, Ricky, and Sam get, I wasn't sure this was actually going on either, but after the episode where they break into the Deckers' pool followed the thing about playing forts, I was getting really suspicious, and after the Spin the Bottle game I was convinced.

August 17 2008 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I absolutely loved this episode. The dancing was so amazing. I loved that Roger just went for it instead of chickening out. I can't wait for the next episode. :)

August 16 2008 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply