September 19, 2014

CSI lands Laurence Fishburne

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 18th 2008 2:29PM
Larry FAs Jane wrote a couple of weeks ago, CBS was hot on the heels of landing a big name star to fill the void when William Petersen leaves CSI later this year. The names bandied about included Kurt Russell and John Malkovich, and one other major motion picture star, Laurence Fishburne. Today, the network announced Laurence Fishburne will indeed be the new addition to CSI.

His character is a forensic scientist, like Grissom, but don't expect him to have Gil's fascination with insects. No, Fishburne's man has other bugs: he's a former pathologist and college lecturer who's focused on why people commit acts of violence. It should be interesting to see how his preoccupation with the why integrates with the other CSI gang who are all Grissom-trained and generally obsessed with how a crime is done and who done it.

Fishburne will be introduced in the ninth episode when his character meets members of the CSI team during a murder investigation and ends up joining them.

There hasn't been much revealed about how the show is writing Grissom out. The character left last season for a few shows -- the Schreiber arc -- on what was called a sabbatical. Petersen will remain as one of the show's executive producers and is supposed to pop up now and then in a guest role, so wherever Gil goes, he'll still be connected to the Las Vegas crime lab.

The network was looking for an authoritative presence to fill Grissom's shoes, and that's what they got with Fishburne. Laurence carries that quality with him in nearly every role he's played, including Ike Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It. He's probably best known as Morpheus from the Matrix trilogy, which is probably a good thing if CBS is hoping to keep viewers glued to CSI.

You see, even though CSI is still one of the top rated TV shows on CBS, the network might be watching for slippage with Petersen exiting. However if Fishburne's character is as well-written and his storylines are as well-executed as Liev Schreiber's when he filled in for Petersen for a multi-episode arc last year, fans should stick with the show and be happy with some new energy.

Dianna

I remember when "Larry Fishburne" started on One Life To Live.

August 22 2008 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jack

I think he will be a good replacement,he has an even quality about him.My biggest fear is that this show will turn into the same piece of crap that CSI MIAMI,and CSI NY are.

August 21 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

The show will go down hill from now on. LF is not an A list actor. The only thing he's done deserving mention was the Matrix series.

August 21 2008 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trisha

I'm sorry that William Peterson is more or less leaving the show, and I'm not sure Fishbourne is really going to be able to carry the show. I know he's a good actor,in the movies, but TV series is different, we develope a relationship with the characters( in a sense)I will really miss Warrick, but I hope he gets his life back on track. I don't miss Sara at all, I didn't like her character or the script written for her..By the way, please come out with new video game.......I've mastered the others. Good luck to CSI Vegas, if you decide to get rid of Carouso on Miami, I will watch it then. I cannot stand his constant posing before he speaks..He doesn't have a good side. His John Wayne character is all wrong, there's only one DUKE...Get Tom Selleck, he doesn't have a bad side.

August 21 2008 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I guess every show has to come to an end, so's the same for CSI. First Sarah, then Warrick and now Grissom??? CSI is going to fall flat on it's face. It USED to be my favorite show...goodbye CSI.

August 21 2008 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heidi

csi was my favorite show and just the one with william peterson in it, i dont like any of the other csi's. you cant replace him it will never be the same. when he is off the show i can no longer watch it.this is a tragic mistake

August 21 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clark2019

this is the first time in many many years of tv that i am disappointed that a person is leaving. Petersen's leaving is not welcomed. producer is great, but not being in front of camera is not what we want.
I hope u dont say what Oprah said: TV IS A WASTE. sorry but why do all of u make big money making shows and dont want any people to watch. People do watch. I grew up when the tv was 40 inches wide with a 10 inch screen. since being born in 1953, tv is a part of life. guess I will have to go back to NASA TV for entertainment. on thusday nite i can go out and watch for the space station and maybe the space shuttle come over.
Dr McDreamy is looking better and beter for thrus nite at 9pm. will miss csi, 3 members of cast gone in 2 seasons, NOT GOOD.

August 21 2008 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynnhartin

There will never be anyone to replace Peterson, he makes the show. I love CSI Las Vagas because of him only. I do not even watch the Miami or the other one. Petersons will be removed but never replaced.

August 21 2008 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

OMFG! This is... awesome!

August 19 2008 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply