October 23, 2014

Food Network cooks up competitive eating show

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 18th 2008 12:01PM
Hot dog eating Perhaps it's unfair to prejudge, but I am really, really disappointed in the Food Network. The announcement that they are planning a new series that involves competitive eating called Eat the Clock sounds like a sell-out.

It sounds like Food Network is following in the footsteps of classy shows like Hurl and Fear Factor. I expect better from the network that espouses to be about the best in food and cooking, not how fast you can jam it down your throat.

The same company that's behind Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels, Pie Town Productions, has cooked up Eat the Clock. They're comparing it to The Amazing Race, but with eating contests thrown up -- I mean, in. There will be travel involved, which relates to Rachael's travel show. Maybe they'll have Rachael try her gullet at consuming mass quantities. (Oh wait, that's the Coneheads.)

It's interesting that the network mentions The Amazing Race in the description of the show. Occasionally TAR will put an eating challenge in the show, like one year when contestants had to eat a Chicago deep dish pizza completely before proceeding to the pit stop. But that was just one challenge. TAR has at the most two eating challenges per race. Eat the Clock purports to be all about the eating.

Eat has yet to shoot a pilot, but Food Network is hoping for an early 2009 debut. Like I said, maybe I should wait to see the show before writing it off. However, on paper, Eat the Clock is antithetical to the enjoyment and celebration of food. What TV chef will want to be attached to this project?

It seems all wrong for Food Network. Competition is one thing -- I can appreciate Iron Chef America and Food Network Challenges -- but speed eating or volume eating doesn't fit the Food Network recipe. What do you think?

Mike Davis

Eh? Why not? It's not like they've been innovating too much new food programming.

Ace of Cakes? A reality show about making mostly inedible food sculptures.

FN Challenges? A competition show about making mostly inedible...er...

Next FN Star? Reality show.

Food Detectives? Mythbusters knock-off.

Restaurant Revamp? Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares knock-off.

I was once a dedicated FN fan. I am obviously no longer their target audience. I shall take my advertising dollars and go elsewhere.

Great. Now I'm hungry...

August 19 2008 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwight

Eh, lighten up.

August 18 2008 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Classy. Isn't the whole point of taking the time to cook and follow a recipe to enjoy what you took the time to make? A show that involves cramming junk food down your pie hole doesn't seem to fit. But the Food Network has been going downhill for years. I'm surprised they don't have a show devoted only to making dinner out of items you can purchase at a gas station.

August 18 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jack's comment
erroneous_nick

"I'm surprised they don't have a show devoted only to making dinner out of items you can purchase at a gas station."

Heh, I'd watch that over this Food Network junk. At least your show might be interesting.

August 18 2008 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The Food Network is off. The contestants the last season of Next food Network Star was trash. They add random new chefs no one has heard of, keep making more travel shows that never show you anything new. Plus I'm still pissed about Alton Brown's Feasting on Waves.

August 18 2008 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I want to see a competitive eating show where they're competing to see who can eat the most inedible stuff in a set time limit. Like who can swallow the most quarters in 5 minutes.

August 18 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I really don't think this network knows what it's doing half the time--clearly that shows during The Next Food Network Waste o' Time.

August 18 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply