September 19, 2014

New Iconoclasts include Bill Maher, Venus Williams, Tony Hawk

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 18th 2008 2:03PM
Bill MaherIconoclasts is one of those shows where I always say, "hey, that sounds kinda cool, I gotta watch that...when is it on again?" and then I promptly forget to watch it or even set my TiVo. But this year's lineup sounds like something that will make me remember.

The Sundance Channel show returns in October with these episodes: Bill Maher and Clive Davis; Jon Favreau and Tony Hawk; Venus Williams and Wyclef Jean; Stella McCartney and artist Edward Ruscha; Cameron Diaz and architect Cameron Sinclair; and Richard Branson and Desmond Tutu.

I'm most interested in seeing Maher and Favreau, but the Diaz/Sinclair pairing seems rather intriguing. Are these two people friends or did producers choose them because they're both named Cameron? That could be an interesting precedent to set, getting people together just because they have the same name, first or last. Vice President Dick Cheney can get together with Andy Dick. Former Senator John Edwards can sit down with medium John Edward. How about Robert Downey Jr. and a bottle of Downy fabric softener?

The third season premieres October 25.

RobynM

I'll probably watch the Bill Maher ep. I'm interested in the Jon Favreau ep, but I don't know if I'm willing to put up with Tony Hawk for that long.

August 18 2008 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Iconoclasts is one of the best shows ever. This 3rd season line-up looks like it may trump season 1 in bringing together interesting leaders.

And I will watch Bill Maher. Say what you will about him, and his douchebag-ness, he is a true iconoclast.

Now if Sundance would just get all seasons up on iTunes, that would be great.

August 18 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tool's comment
Tool

Oops, I mean 4th season.

August 18 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Is the point that the two people in each episode share something in common? I guess then Maher should be paired with the guy who drove the tank over the protesters in Tiananmen.

August 19 2008 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Iconoclasts is a brilliant show, but I will not watch the Bill Maher episode. The guy is a douchebag.

Since we're on the subject ... the Lorne Michaels/Paul Simon episode was a major letdown. Probably the least revealing of all the episodes I've seen.

August 18 2008 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply