April 23, 2014

Is a Veronica Mars movie in the works?

by Kona Gallagher, posted Aug 19th 2008 3:21PM
Veronica MarsI'm hesitant to get my hopes up, because there's always talk of TV shows making a leap to the big screen. Whether it's a great idea, as with Arrested Development, or a horrific one like Friends: The Movie, it seems that as soon as a show ends, the silver-screen talks begin. Regardless, I just about peed my pants when I read that a Veronica Mars movie may actually become a reality.

Even though Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas has two pilots in the works (Cupid and Outrageous Fortune), he still hasn't forgotten the little detective show that is singlehandedly responsible for people no longer asking him if he's the dude from Matchbox Twenty. Apparently, Thomas's production office is located on the same lot where VM star Kristen Bell is currently shooting Heroes and the two sat down for a little chat.

Thomas confirms that "Kristen and I ran into each other, and we did discuss a Veronica movie." He even said that he's had a few conversations with VM executive producer, Joel Silver. Lest you think these are just idle chats between old friends, Thomas assures us that "as soon as I have any free time, [the movie is] my top priority."

So really, all I have to say about this is "Holy. Crap." It actually sounds like serious talk. I'd love to see a Veronica Mars movie, despite the fact that the logical part of me isn't convinced that it would actually do much business. After all, fans clamored for a Firefly movie, and Serenity didn't exactly take the box office by storm.

However, a Veronica Mars movie would have something that Serenity didn't have: Kristen Bell. As awesome as Nathan Fillion is, he's not a known quantity. Bell, on the other hand, is a cute blond who got half-naked in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a movie that people actually saw. Plus, her return to Heroes is probably going to inspire another wave of geek love toward her.

If the movie is marketed right and tries to get a broader audience than the six or so people who watched it on The CW, I have a feeling it could actually work. However, I freely admit that I often reside in the land of delusion when it comes to Veronica Mars. Am I the only one, or do you think seeing Mars on the big screen is a good idea too?

L

Totally that would be soooooooo cool since they left us on a cliffhanger

November 02 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
db

Veronica rules!!! The best series of the last 10 years. That so many failed to see it is their loss and a movie is a great idea. Right star...right cast...right writer...can't go wrong!!!

September 07 2008 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa H

This was the best series since Gilmore Girls. Please, please, please make a movie to tie up the series. I was so depressed when Season 3 ended knowing that I wasn't going to see anymore. I'd see the movie and buy the DVD. Please do the fans a favor and finish the series for us.

August 30 2008 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rawnwolf

Serenity with all the special effects COST a lot to make...I'm sure that even if the Veronica Mars Movie featured a spaceship (hey! it could happen!) they'd still be making more money than a sci-fi film!!!

Veronica Mars is about the story, the language, the characters...and I love it like nothing else (outside of the Joss-verse that is!!!)

I hope this movie happens, it would really show that fans have a say in the crazy world of entertainment!

August 26 2008 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simon Wakefield

While Serenity struggled to make its money back at the US Box Office I do think alot of that was Universals fault. They thought to big, $40million isnt a huge budget but its still significant. With an Episode of Firefly costing between $1-2million thats between 20 and 40 episodes that that budget would have paid for. A more realistic budget (Look at what the Stargate DVD movies were able to do on $7mill) and it would have made its money back without relying on the DVD and international sales.

As for VM it would surely need an even smaller budget than a sci-fi movie so making its money back would be much easier.

August 22 2008 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S

Terrific news. I'd rather it back as a show on TV, but a movie is awesome too

August 21 2008 at 4:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanman101283

On one hand, I'd love to see more of Veronica Mars.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what sort of story could be made to make movie worthwhile. Serenity had revealed the answers to tons of questions that permeated the show Firefly. Veronica Mars has a few niggling threads hanging at the end of the third season, but nothing worthy of a feature film.

I guess I'd rather not have a movie at all, rather than have one that feels tacked on or simply an extended episode.

August 21 2008 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to beanman101283's comment
dedi

Did you miss the mention of Joel Silver? Rob is in contact with the star and producer and he could knock out the writing end. Sounds like a place to start to me.

August 24 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Thompson

I think it's great news and would love to at least get a movie, Neptune Rising and www.SaveVeronicaMars.tv has been working on trying to get more VM since the cancelation and we hope that this news will build momentum and make sure a movie happens.

August 20 2008 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

On the one hand, I'd like to see a wrapup to the show. On the other hand, "me and the actress were just throwing around the idea of a movie" does not mean that anyone with big fat cash is interested in MAKING said movie.

So, folks, don't get your hopes up until someone that isn't Rob or Kristen ponies up cash.

August 20 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawna

I loved VM. I didn't like the cliffhanger end to Season 3 since the show never returned. I always wondered what would become it if there were another season. They should just repitch the show and get everyone back. I would watch if it came back on. It was a great show.

August 20 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply