November 25, 2014

Stupid non-controversy "controversy" of the day: Boston Market ads - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 19th 2008 1:01PM
Boston MarketIf there's one thing we can all hate the Internet for is that it has given an amazing array of people the ability to just sit back and complain about everything in the world, even if it doesn't warrant complaining or insults (especially if it doesn't). Today's example: the new commercials for Boston Market (video after the jump).

The ad shows those twins that have been doing the most recent ads for the chain talking about the new meals they offer that cost only $4.99. Only the brother on the left in the video is clearly saying something else, "$5.99," and they dubbed a "4" over the "5" when the price dropped. For some reason, this is causing controversy on blogs from Gawker to Mediabistro's AgencySpy. Oooooo, they caught them in a "lie."

First of all, this is probably the 10,000 time I've seen this done. Companies are always dubbing new (or corrected) words over ad copy that is said on TV commercials, either with the on camera talent or in the narration that is said off-screen. Second, what are they supposed to do, get the actors and crew back together to re-film the entire ad just for one word? (Yeah, that would go over well with people who already hate the waste in corporate America). And third, who gives a f**k?

Joel

"They just happen to focus attention on the advertising agency..."

Sorry, I meant to say "they just happen to focus attention on the advertising INDUSTRY..." My bad.

August 19 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joel's comment
bcarter3

Jussup--

Your correction would have been more effective if you'd simply reposted your original comment with no explanation, but overdubbed the word "agency" with "industry".

August 19 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't show up for some reason. I just wanted to say you made me laugh, carter.

August 19 2008 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Having read the articles at Gawker and AgencySpy, I don't think they were really making that big of a deal out of it. They just happen to focus attention on the advertising agency and they pointed out something in an advertisement. I don't think they were complaining, just observing. I agree with you that it isn't a big deal, why spend tens of thousands of dollars to reshoot one word? By the time you do it, you'd have to up the price of the meal by a dollar nullifying the entire point.

August 19 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joel's comment
Franklin

"I guess I just find it ironic that you spent the time to complain on the internet about people who complain on the internet."

It was to give us an opportunity to complain on the internet about people who complain on the internet about people who complain on the internet!

August 19 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Hey, that was a really good dub! I'd think people would be more upset if they had changed the price to $6.99 and dubbed that in! In this day and age, isn't it odd to complain about a price reduction?!?! Even if they had to redub the ad?? Like Larry King once said, "Whadda you care?"

August 19 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I say, if people want to give them the extra buck, they should knock themselves out. Otherwise, who gives a rat's booty.

August 19 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

If you don't give a fuck then why are you posting about it?

August 19 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
RI_red

I would imagine to point out how ridiculous it is to give a fuck.

August 19 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Come on Oreo, let Lasagna do his shtick.

Lasagna with Carrot Top. hmmm...

August 19 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply