August 2, 2014

Weeds: The Love Circle Overlap

by Erin Martell, posted Aug 19th 2008 8:21AM
Demian Bichir and Mary-Louise Parker(S04E10) Season four of Weeds has been a season of breakthroughs. Ever since Nancy left Agrestic and started over, she's been re-examining her life and coming to terms with her personal failures. The big question is: Will she ever truly change her behavior?

Her self-awareness has yielded some positive results, like her dinner table apology and her throwdown with Lisa, but we've yet to see any significant changes. Will this week's discovery make a difference?

"No more hiding." Nancy's ayahuasca trip brought about the latest realization. The carefree days of bringing pot to the bored, suburban masses are over. She's part of an organization that is far more dangerous than she first thought. Nancy was able to justify drug dealing during season two's tomato talk with Shane, but human trafficking is another matter. It's harder for Nancy to delude herself when the victims are looking into her eyes. That young girl with the butterfly bag will haunt her thoughts for quite a while. No more lies; people are being hurt, and it's time for Nancy to accept her share of the responsibility.

Did Esteban help Nancy make this breakthrough, or is he part of the problem that she mentioned on the beach? She had a serious look on her face when Esteban asked if he'd made everything better. I doubt that Nancy will ever let another man take care of her and protect her the same way that Judah did. She wasn't equipped to be the head of the household when he died, and she's struggled with her role as a single mom. There's no way that she'd set herself up for that kind of a loss again. Nancy knows that she has to maintain control of her own life and family, whether Esteban's in the picture or not.

The Botwin boys had their own relationship challenges to deal with. Shane spent the night with his two groupies from last week, and may or may not have had sex with them. This show never holds back when it comes to mature content, so it's extremely likely that Shane went through with it. For the record, I hope he didn't. Shane is the last kid that I'd describe as innocent, but he should get to keep this last shred of childhood a bit longer. Silas went from dumped to doormat pretty fast. He's basically a nanny who accepts sex as payment instead of cash and refrigerator privileges. I'm so over Lisa and the whole MILF storyline. This relationship needs to end, or at least become funnier. Rad and his babysitter are definitely not the next great comedy duo.

Speaking of humor, Celia made me laugh for the first time in several episodes. I knew that she had that fork-wielding tirade in her. Isabelle spelled out the problems with Celia, both as a person and a character. She used to be mean-spirited and judgmental, the kind of woman who hid laxatives in her daughter's candy stash. Everyone wants that Celia back, and the show needs her back. The intervention was this episode's only funny moment, and it needed more. Here's hoping that Doug's budding relationship with Mermex can get things back on track.

My favorite lines of the night:

• "No one tries to get out of sex with me" --Esteban, speaking the truth
  • "Who could resist a little capsule-shaped escape?" --Celia
  • Anytime that Sanjay mentioned his baby's name: Jimmy Jam.

Next week--Nancy is curious about the new tunnel cargo, and Doug unsuccessfully woos Mermex.

Did Shane have sex with Simone and Harmony?
Yes.207 (52.5%)
No.96 (24.4%)
I have no idea.72 (18.3%)
Other.19 (4.8%)

Titus

The shaman said that Nancy wasn't ready that day, which leaves room for more mistakes. From what I've heard about Ayahuasca and Ibogaine, they sound like miracle experiences (Jesus is the vine). People quit drugs, sometimes even smoking and alcohol, they get their lives in order and become very spiritual.

Celia needs some Ayahuasca most of all. But Estaban's character can't take a dark turn, or my suspension of disbelief will be ruined. He now seems like a Marihunaros to me, not a drug lord.

August 21 2008 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deadsquirrel

You have to go back and watch again to see it, but Shane definetly got some. The opening sequence shows an open condom with random sparkly belts and other tossed aside clothing with the 'Weeds' and 'Jenji' as usual. I didn't get it when I watched it live, but when I watched it with the hubby, and exclamed "Ohhhhh!" I knew Shane was all set.

August 20 2008 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sean

I thought the episode was pretty good, but i love Weeds and think all the episodes are great. So with that said i agree that the Esteban thing is getting a little old hes boring and I'm kinda tired of his character. I wish Nancy would go back to hanging out with Andy an Doug and the rest of the main characters. I really like the Silas and Lisa thing though, she's so hot and as a teenage guy thats every guys dream to hook up with a hot mom ha but i think it will end after this season if not sooner. As for Doug i dont think this new love thing will last long at all he's way to much of a horn dog. As for Andy i would really like to see more of him in the upcoming episodes. i think ac is completely right on the Shane thing, i wouldnt be suprised, and Celia i really think her character is kinda stupid right now i completely agree with cdawg i wish we could get the old Celia back. I also think that chip saying that Nancys eyes moving fast meant that she was lying was kinda a strange thing to say considering its a tv show and not real life and that kind of body language that tiny wasnt probably meant to make people think she was lying. I agree that she was lying and im sure alot of other people did also, but thats probably because it showed her having a bad experience, or bad trip leading people to believe she wasnt telling the truth when Esteban asked if he had made everything better . But i really dont think it was the eye movement but who knows. I'm not trying to rain on your parade it was a good observation. As for everyone who keeps getting on these forums to tell everyone how they dont like weeds "Carissa". What is the point if you dont like the show thats fine but do you really have that much free time in your life to get on forums specifically for this show and critisize it? what are you trying to convince people not to like it cause you dont? Honestly we really dont care if you dont like it anymore or if you took it off you DVR.

August 20 2008 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

If anyone has seen the episode of Friends where in an alternate universe Ross has a 3-way with his wife and another woman. The 3-way turned out to be a 2-way and Ross was not a part of it. I think Shane got the Ross treatment.

August 20 2008 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Wow - this is only the second episode I haven't watched since I decided it just wasn't my show any longer, and I feel like I have absolutely no idea who you are talking about. How can it take only weeks for a show that I dearly loved to disappear? Once Albert Brooks left this season, all funny went with him.

I look forward to reading second hand about the show and the comments from users. So far, outside Vince, I'm not thinking I made a mistake in removing it from my DVR, as much as I hated to do it.

August 19 2008 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

The Esteban story is dragging for me. It's too sterile given that pair. Esteban is a huge problem for Nancy (and vice versa, really). It's annoying that her character isn't more openly struggling with it.

August 19 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

Worst. Episode. Ever. Worst. Season. Ever.

August 19 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to doug's comment
Vince

I don't think so. Sure they are not in suburbia anymore (little boxes etc) but Nancy was never happy there playing out her husband's expectations.

Now she is becoming what she would have been before trying to do the expected Suburban Mom. She's reckless and a danger junkie so more like real people that typical TV shows want to admit. Not a perfect Mother but have you ever met one?

I love this show and it surprises me all the time.

August 19 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Yeah I never watched season 1 so I never knew about another daughter! i liked Celia as hopped up on coke, but I liked her so much better as the judgemental bitch.

I am so confused about the girl inthe prom dress and the butterfly bag. So, they are using the tunnel for both drug trafficking and bringing Mexicans to the US??? What's so much worse about that? The only thing that made sense to me was that they were going to force her into prostitution or something. Can someone clear that up for me? I'm a little slow this morning I guess.

I'm annoyed with the Esteban storyline to tell you the truth. I liked it better when Nancy was hanging out with whatshisface and running to Mexico. The Coyote storyline is dragging as well, so I'm glad that's probably over.

Hmm, so the more I think about it, the more I don't like the direction this season is going.

More JIMMY JAM!

August 19 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdawg's comment
Erin Martell

cdawg--The girl with the butterfly bag didn't look too happy to be in America, which makes me think she wasn't brought over in the same way that Marzipan and Davenport were--as willing participants. It makes sense that Esteban's organization would have other ventures apart from drug trafficking. Prostitution is the most likely explanation.

I'm glad that someone else loves Jimmy Jam!

August 19 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Chip, yep caught that also. This this with Nancy and Esteban is going to come to a scratching halt here very soon, and I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

I also heard mention of Celia's other daughter, it confused me. Guess I missed that in season 1.

I see Nancy trying to get out of this Esteban thing alive, keeping Silas from getting caught, and Shane will be outed as in school, as a way to wrap up the season.

August 19 2008 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip

When Esteban asked Nancy if he made everything better, her eyes darted quickly to the right when she responded, so she's lying...

Unless I'm mistaken, Celia's other daughter gets mentioned for the first time since season 1.

August 19 2008 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chip's comment
Vinz

Nope ^^
In fact, Nancy talked about Quinn when Silas went out with Mary-Kate Olsen, during the third season.

September 03 2008 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply