April 23, 2014

No more hiatuses: The Shield will be over in three months

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 20th 2008 10:03AM
The ShieldAlready announced was that the seventh and final season of the amazing The Shield will premiere on September 2nd, but now comes word that it will The Shield finale will air November 25th. I know that gives us the full thirteen episodes promised but as it's been more than a year since we've had a new episode to chew on, forgive me if this suddenly feels like a really short-lived reunion. There is something so magically beautiful about what Shawn Ryan has created here; I'll go ahead and dub it the best cop show I've ever seen on television.

The thing you have to wonder about is how it's all going to end, and I do believe Ryan will give us a definitive ending here. Vic Mackey has been the "hero" of the series, but still ... should the Strike Team get away with all the shit they've pulled over the past six seasons? Shane's treatment of Lemansky deserves retribution, but is Shane necessarily a worse guy than Mackey? Remember how the first episode wrapped. There is a line of victims behind these guys, and each one is in it as deep as the guy next to him.

It's interesting because I don't think we've had a lot of television series quite like The Shield. Clearly this is a dark urban story about some pretty bad guys who, while we might feel sympathy for them as human beings, we certainly don't think they're worthy of praise or acclaim. And now we'll get to see this story reach it's rightful conclusion, still under the stewardship of its creator. I'd like to think Claudette, and even Dutchboy, can get theirs in the end.

Claudette is a great character and a brilliant detective and one of the few genuinely decent people on the whole show, and she's been smelling shit from The Strike Team from day one. I think she deserves this one. But then, I'm not sure if Ryan is into happy endings. He certainly didn't give one to the closest thing to a moral compass The Strike Team had.

Do you think Vic and the boys will get their just desserts in the end, or will they somehow ride off into the sunset scot-free. Or maybe Shane will take the fall for all of them; he's certainly gone down a path that would seem beyond redemption at this point. How do you think things will wind up for the gang? As much as I'd hate to think of a television landscape without The Shield (at least I'll still have Breaking Bad and Rescue Me), man, I can't wait for September ... and then November. It better be awesome!

lab2king

he's definitely not going to pull a chase on us...(although over time i grew to appreciate the sopranos finale)...however ryan definitely realizes the impact and scope of this show, i'm no matter what happens, this will easily be the most memorable season. it feels too soon to say goodbye.

August 22 2008 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

A show that has you routing for the worst cop on tv - ever. Hoping they get away with the money train but knowing that the writing gods will not let that happen. Shocking even Mackey when he sends two guys into a container with instructions to fight it out and only one comes out. Don't forget Armadillo. What an awesome story line. Who ordered the grilled cheese? I already miss this show. I am sure that Ryan will gives us his creative all and not go Chase on us. I can't wait, but as soon as it starts I will be mourning its end.

August 21 2008 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

Hey pal, I've never watched a single episode of Idol and I never will. Sorry I don't love your show, but don't lump me in with the reality crowd. The Wire is a slow, mopey show that loves itself way too much. it's the Six Feet Under of Cop Shows.

August 21 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pvarine

The Shield is a better cop show than The Wire; but The Wire is a better show than The Shield.

Short of Crowley's brother capping Vic, though, I don't think there's any way Terry is going get justice. Kavanaugh pretty much sunk that ship.

I've also got to say that, ever since Dutch strangled that cat back in the day, I've had a feeling that he's going to slip over the edge. It would be crazy if he somehow found out what Shane had done to Lem, by all accounts the one member of the Strike Team that Dutch would have considered a decent person. That might be enough to push him to perhaps pull a Dexter and get inside the criminal mind even further... I'm probably reaching there, though.

You have to wonder, though, with the writers' penchant for bringing so much older stuff back, what might rear its ugly head in the final season.

I think the ultimate ending for the series would be for Mackey to lose it all, yet still have his freedom: Shane and Ronnie dead (I'm thinking Armenian mob for Shane and an accident that Mackey's responsible for when it comes to Ronnie; another body he's left in his dangerous, bloody wake a la O'Brien, Connie and Diegur), his family having left him for good, his job done for after he wraps up this case with Aceveda... that would be a great final image to go out on: Mackey alone in the street, gun in hand and no one to kill, no longer protected by the shield.

And to the guy that said the Wire is 'all but unwatchable'... I'm sure there's an episode of American Idol on for your dopey ass.

August 20 2008 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Woohoo! More free time for Chicklets to make new Fantastic Four films! Awesomes!

August 20 2008 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Dutchboy and Claudette go on a murder rampage and wipe out the strike team!

August 20 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

The Wire is all but unwatchable. It's terrible. There... I said it. It feels good to get that off my chest.

August 20 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheldon McGee

Yeah, The Wire is good too but for me it's just too freaking depressing. The Shield isn't exactly a feel good show but maybe since the storylines are not as "real" (the Money Train robbery . . . come on!) even if it doesn't end on a positive note you don't feel disappointed/depressed/etc about society in general.

August 20 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

The only reason the Shield wasn't far and away better then the Wire was cable vs. HBO. Imagine the things that could have been said/done/shown had this show been on HBO

August 20 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KJ

While I would never say The Shield trumps The Wire, I love the show. And although it might be too much in the way of wish fulfillment to be dramatically satisfying, I want to see Shane go down hard. I still get chills thinking about the grenade scene.

August 20 2008 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply