December 22, 2014

And the newest cast member of SNL is ...

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 21st 2008 11:02AM
Bobby MoynihanHave you been watching The Line, the online summer series from Saturday Night Live cast members Seth Meyers, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis? Well, then you might already be familiar with the newest addition to the NBC late night show.

The new guy is Bobby Moynihan, who costars in the online series (about two obsessed science fiction fans waiting in line to see a popular space movie). Others might know Moynihan from his years with the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater, including his improv work on ASSSSCAT (recently with this guy).

This is good news, as a show like Saturday Night Live needs new blood every year or so, just to make sure it's still fresh. Of course, there are fans who believe that the show hasn't been fresh since 2002 (or 1997 or 1991 or 1976, take your pick) and no new hire will be exciting. While I don't pretend to think that the show is as good as it was during my favorite seasons (the Phil Hartman/Dana Carvey years), when it's on target it's really good, and they have some really talented people (Hader, Kristen Wiig). Amy Poehler is leaving the show this season to star in an NBC sitcom, so they need some new people.

Moynihan had his final audition in front of SNL Executive Producer and all-around head honcho Lorne Michaels himself last weekend. That must have been, um, nerve-wracking.

[via PopCandy]

mike

I watched the premier SNL tonite,, I can only say how embarrased I felt for Michael Phelps... who writes there scripts ?? I live in Chicago and go to alot of Second City , they blow SNL away... its just stupid.. not funny at all.. and enough with the Palin jokes,, your not going for laughs anymore,, just how much you can shock us..

September 14 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

well, the token FAT guy role has been filled now , i guess.
wonder if he will be as big a success as john belushi, or chris farley before him.

who's the token black guy again? they should get dave chapelle. that kenan guy sucks balls!

August 25 2008 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The problem with SNL isn't the cast; it's Lorne. The guy needs to hand-off the show to someone who will hold the comedy to a higher standard. Laser Cats? Give me a break.

August 22 2008 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
goldie

I enjoy Laser Cats. I also enjoy The Stepfathers. SNL keeps getting stronger and stronger. I'm excited for the upcoming season.

August 24 2008 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glancy

This guys was ABSOLUTELY hilarious way back when we did Bro-rape.... SO FUNNY

Check out "BRO-RAPE" on youtube for his early work...

August 22 2008 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kona Gallagher

I've also seen this guy at UCB a bunch of times. There's also a chance I may have slow-danced with him during one of the Del Close marathons, but it could have been someone completely different. It was a long night.

In any case, he's hilarious and should be a great addition to the cast.

August 21 2008 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don-Don

I've seen the Stepfathers multiple times, not only because they are one of the funniest groups, but also because Bobby is hilarious and one of our favorites of the group.

August 21 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I wish Lorne would take a chill pill and let these guys do at least a couple of sketches a show improv. Their improv backgrounds are what got them on the show, except for maybe Samburg. Lorne bans or fires anyone who doesn't stick to the script. He's not using the actors greatest strengths, which is a shame.

August 21 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
adhonus

I agree. That would make it worthy of watching at night. As I get older, I'm much less inclined to watch it live, and even less inclined to watch it on tape. But, live? Live would be worth watching if there was improv. Some of the most memorable moments are when it all goes wrong, and they recover anyway.

August 21 2008 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RR

I don't know anything about him, but maybe he'll be the spark that triggers a change. Being the newbie in the team though I doubt he'll manage to have a major influence. Someone really needs to come in and throw away whatever rulebook they're working from now because it so isn't resulting in anything like comedy.

August 21 2008 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I met Moynihan earlier this year, and apparently this had been lined up right before the writer's strike was announced, much to his annoyance (the writer's strike, not the SNL gig).

August 21 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

I saw Moynihan live at UCB with his improv group the Stepfathers, and he was by far the best talent out of all of them. He's also in an ESPN commercial here in New York. Glad to see he's finally broken through.

August 21 2008 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply