October 23, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld will be selling us Vista

by Brad Trechak, posted Aug 21st 2008 2:25PM
Jerry SeinfeldIn an attempt to appeal to the hip, mod audience, Microsoft is hiring Jerry Seinfeld to be its pitchman for the Vista operating system. This is being considered as a counter to Apple's successful "Mac vs. PC" commercials. It is expected that he'll use a variation of the new "Windows, not walls" slogan.

There are two problems with this strategy. First off, while he was an icon of the 90's, Jerry Seinfeld hasn't been relevant for a few years now (Bee Movie didn't do so well, despite his major attempts at promotion). American Express got him when he was a big deal and I'm sure more people used their production as a result, but I'm not so sure that would work now. Plus, it's not like he needs the money.

Second, the Vista operating system has gotten bad press. I mean baaaaaad press. Much of it deserved. Microsoft would be better served by having Jerry pitch whatever operating system came next rather than Vista, because there is a lot of negative publicity there to counteract.

Max

With huge criticism of Vista around the world I don't think even Seinfeld can sell Vista. Honestly I find Vista very good and don't understand why people hate it so much. http://www.easydestination.net

October 01 2008 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

And I'm not a Mac fan btw. I love Windows but Vista is crap.

August 22 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

And I'm not a Mac fan btw. I love Windows but Vista is crap.

August 22 2008 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Robin must work for Microsoft. I don't care how you spin it, waaaaaay to many people have complained about Vista for it not to be a major problem. Waaaaaaa to many have gone out their way to get it off their machines and or have it uninstalled from new machine for it not to be a piece-o-crap. And waaaaaa to many companies have refused to upgrade to it for it not to be a piece-o-crap. And yes, that's my opinion, op-ed, what-ev-er!

August 22 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Vista isn't perfect, but the majority of its problems can be attributed to poorly written third-party drivers and software, combined with an effective marketing smear campaign. This is what happens when an industry driven by constant change and evolution meets the mass market.

As for the Mojave Experiment presenting users with a perfectly controlled environment running Vista... ever tried running OSX on non-Apple hardware?

August 22 2008 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

2 things. seinfeld is always relevant seinfeld has to be the show that get replayed the most throughout the day aside from news.

second ur very own site said he was going to be coming back with another show so it makes perfect sense

August 22 2008 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

Jerry, I love ya, but you don't know what the $&@# you're talking about. Vista sucks.

August 21 2008 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

August 21 2008 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I've been using Vista since Jan 2007, and I love it completely. Using Windows XP is hard now because I'm so much more productive with Vista.

August 21 2008 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

So....I guess these are going to be "Commerical's about NOTHING".

August 21 2008 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply