September 17, 2014

Stargate Atlantis canceled, kind of

by Brett Love, posted Aug 21st 2008 9:22AM
David Hewlett, Robert Picardo, Joe Flanigan - Stargate AtlantisWell, this is just all kinds of disappointing, and a little surprising. Season five of Stargate Atlantis will be the end of its run on Sci Fi. That's a surprising bit of news considering that ratings are actually up for season five, compared to season four. Unfortunately, the economics of making the show are catching up with it. As the show goes beyond season five, salaries go up, and the exchange rate bonus of shooting in Canada isn't what it once was.

It might mark the end of the series, but we will hear more from our friends in Atlantis. The network has ordered a two hour movie and says the show will live on as a network franchise. I'm not sure if that means they hope to do more movies, or they are just confirming that they will continue to fill out the schedule with copious SG-1 and Atlantis reruns. The movie will be written by Atlantis showrunners, Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. As you would expect, there are no details about casting or the story at this point.

While the end of the series is a surprise, the movie deal isn't. Given the success of the SG-1 movies, it seems a logical step for the Atlantis team to take. It just seems a little bit too soon. With Stargate Universe still in the offing, I suspected we would see something like the changeover from SG-1 to Atlantis, where the pair ran together before Atlantis moved into the number one spot.

Those involved are saying the expected things. A statement from Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, co-creators of SG-1 and Atlantis, said, "The successes of the two original Stargate movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum have shown us the opportunities that the movie format offers. We have plans for both SG-1 and Atlantis to remain vital as we expand the franchise."

Over at Sci Fi, Thomas Vitale, VP of Programming and Original Movies, adds, "We share in the producers' enthusiasm to move forward in this direction and we look forward to a strong and continued relationship on Stargate Atlantis in this new format." He neglected to add, "But make sure to tune in to wrestling on Tuesday night!" Off topic, maybe, but seriously, what the hell? Why is that show there?

There have been a couple bumps along the way, but I think Atlantis is going to go down as a great success. The show will hit 100 episodes before it's all said and done, and that's a pretty big accomplishment. I'll look forward to the movie, and with any luck it will be successful enough to make way for a couple more.

Ed

That sucks that they cancelled Atlantis. And another thing, Sanctuary is WEAK! All the effort goes to the special effects and not the acting. Story lines are weak also. It just has that "been there seen that feeling." Its just another rehashed x-men, heroes wannabe.

November 15 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tempest4479

Sci-Fi is nuts!! It's bad anof they took SG1 off the air and now they are taking Atlantis? What is it with those people over there do they want to lose all of their fans. Ever since I saw the first SG1 tv show I would tune in to watch it on Sci-Fi and if they take away Stargate all together I am gone as well. I always looked forward to my Friday night viewing. I think this is the 2nd biggest mistake Sci-fi has made. Good bye Sci-Fi!!!

November 14 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grndzro

Someone should be fired for doing this.
Stargate Atlantis is an awesome show.

Sci-Fi has nothing I wan't to watch now.

October 11 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrew

This sucks! I don't know if I will boycott SciFI, but if enough people do, I'll be with them. Sad to see SciFI & MGM pull a quality show off the air. Perhaps we should send them some kind of medication, as they are not thinking straight! Just sad...!!!!!!!!

September 08 2008 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith

I'll tell you this much: I really will miss Rodney McKay. I can't remember when I've ever seen a character that was annoying and yet so likable and funny at the same time. His dialogue was definitely unique. (And the actor deserves a serious nod for his performance in "The Shrine".)

August 29 2008 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

Stargate Atlantis is a great show - something our whole family can watch together. And now it's getting cancelled! The show's too expensive to produce? How about using a little of that creativity to produce a product that's quality (unlike the rest of TV land) and still affordable?

August 27 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Beaumont

Too sad for words.

August 27 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HAL

Sounds like to me that Sci Fi and MGM have found it more profitable to do 2hour movies rather than do continuous 20+ episodes. Which means its not cancelled in the traditional sense. Becuz if it was then be less noise bout the movies. It does sound like that all parties have decided to do movies rather than TV series. PLus it means that they can focus on the SG Galaxies or Universe series. This is very interesting

August 24 2008 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HAL

August 24 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Discosis

Sci-fi has now greenlit Stargate Universe.

August 22 2008 at 2:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply