December 20, 2014

The new Burger King commercial really baffles me - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 21st 2008 4:42PM
Burger KingFor once I'm not talking about any of the Burger King spots that have that creepy King guy, with his terrifying blank stare and equally scary son. No, I'm talking about the commercial with the guy hiding in a motel late at night, eating one of the new Cheesy Bacon Tender Crisp chicken sandwiches. A cow shows up at the door to confront him ... because the guy isn't eating burgers.

Huh? Why would a cow -- which is made of burgers -- be upset that a customer isn't eating him or his friends? Does he own stock in the company and wants customers to eat burgers instead of chicken? That wouldn't even make sense because even if the cow did hold some BK stock* selling chicken would be just as good as selling meat. Or maybe this is an example of the "death wish" type of advertising that Pete Campbell talked about in the Sterling Cooper pitch to Lucky Strike?

Even those cute M&M guys don't go around saying "eat me."

*This will probably be the only time in my life that I write about cows owning stock in a corporation.

Joe

This commercial is funny, it's not hard to understand, stop overthinking it.

September 01 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wayne

It is TRULY a dumb commercial. I've been down on BK since that creepy king first showed up in SOME GUY'S BED one morning offering breakfast!

The t-shirt idea is great - I'd buy one!

Also loved the comment about Rosie O'Donnell, a true cow. Will she be in the next BK commercial installment?

August 26 2008 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Psst....Nathaniel....and anyone else interested in a t-shirt,

August 22 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

I hadn't seen this one, but there is the other BK ad where a guy is parked at "Make out point" eating a chicken sandwich and a cow starts attacking the car. I think it's Ted Raimi actually. Could this be the start of a new Evil Dead movie perhaps? heh.

August 22 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DavidMac

I get the commercial, the guy is cheating on Beef. It is a funny commercial and you are probably just one of those people who over analyze things so much that you miss the big picture staring you in the face.

August 22 2008 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChrisG

This reminds me of Douglas Adams' "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", where Arthur & companions are served a talking cow/pig/thing that encourages them to eat it:

So, it's all been done before...

August 22 2008 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FiannaLord

My theory is that, in the world commercials take place in, being consumed by humans is considered the good version of the afterlife. Maybe they have lots of wonderful myths about the pleasures that await them inside of humanity's digestive systems.

August 22 2008 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

anyone see the email thats going around:
where michelangelo's David comes to america for a couple years touring.
but when they send it back to italy / france, it arrives 100lbs heavier, and there is a sticker on the crate "sponsored by Burger King"

the before and after pics are hilarious!

u fat assed americans, u guys crack me up!

August 22 2008 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

A guy usually eats cows, but he goes to a motel room to eat a chicken. Cow finds out, is angry.

Now replace cow with 'his wife' and chicken with 'prostitute'. You can replace 'eat' with whatever you like, but the point is still the same. I think it's a pretty good commercial.

August 21 2008 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
Argus

You don't need to replace eat.... Heyooooh!

August 22 2008 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Do you know they do free refills? IT'S A WONDERFUL RESTAURANT!!!!

[anyone get the reference?]