July 31, 2014

You can already order NBC's Olympics DVDs

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 21st 2008 4:23PM
Olympics DVDThe Olympics aren't even over until this Sunday, but you can already order the DVDs.

NBC will release three different DVD sets for the 2008 Beijing Games. The first DVD is titled Michael Phelps: Greatest Olympic Champion - The Inside Story, and will show all of his gold medal-winning races and behind the scenes footage that hasn't been seen before. The second set is titled 2008 Beijing Opening Ceremonies, and will feature two DVDs packed with footage of the expensive, epic opening ceremonies. The last set has the rather uninspired title of 2008 Beijing General Highlight DVD (which I hope and pray gets a better title than that), which will be a recap of the entire Olympic Games. The opening ceremony DVD will be $29.99 and the others will sell for $19.99.

You can pre-order the DVDs now. Is this the fastest turnaround for a TV series or event? NBC will probably be working on these sets feverishly for the next few weeks, considering the Games end this Sunday and the DVDs will be released on September 15.

I've already mentioned here that I haven't watched much of the Olympics at all, but even if I did I can't imagine sitting around my apartment and taking out these DVDs in the future to see Phelps win his medals again or to see the CGI fireworks. I haven't even bought any of the Red Sox DVDs. Maybe there's an alternate ending included, where Phelps loses one of the races and actually gets the bronze.

[via TV Tattle]

Robyn Boyd-Jones

will there be a DVD available of the full Rhythmic gymnastics available? rbj

August 29 2008 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raymond

I will buy the opening ceremony DVDs. The show was one of a kind from any historical and artistic prospectives. It was simply stunning, splendid and astonishing. It was a ceremony of grandeur without equal. No one country on this world can single-handedly orchestrate such a grand event as masterfully as the Chinese. This the rest of the world has already given them very high respect. The love of the Olympics lives on. And I will be one of those ten of millions worldwide waiting for my own DVDs to come in the mail. Thanks NBC for doing that. Thanks. Go Sports! Go Olympics!

August 26 2008 at 4:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Albert

I'd buy the opening and closing ceremonies as package. It's not worth it just to see one part of the ceremonies.

August 22 2008 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I'm honestly surprised they aren't forcing us to buy all three as one disk at an outrageous price knowing that the only one the majority of people want is the Phelps one.

The opening ceremonies were good but after about an hour and half in it's like, "Okay, enough already. Get to the parade of nations." Then when they finally do get to that part the countries are in "Chinese alphabet" order so unless you're fluent in Manderin or Cantonese you don't know what the heck the order is. [Sigh]. And another gripe I had with the parade of nations is how slowly everyone was walking. It's the "parade" of nations not the crawl of nations. Geeze! I've seen people walk more efficiently and orderly behind a casket. When you've got 200+ countries needing to march in (to any where), speed it up a little.

August 22 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

Heck, they showed the first ad for the Phelps DVD mere minutes after he won the 8th medal. Really smacked of opportunism and blatant avarice.

BTW, get on the stick and get those Sox DVDs, they are worth it. You can never see that 0-3 comeback against the Yanks enough times.

August 22 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Schwartz

They are just milking Phelps' hype for all it's worth.
My question is why would anyone spend the money to buy dvds when you can find all the best highlights online anyway?

August 21 2008 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zelig2

If they were available on BluRay then I'd probably pick up the opening ceremonies disc. It looked great on the network but I'd enjoy it more without the compression artifacts.

August 21 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply