October 31, 2014

Could Swingtown move to cable?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 22nd 2008 3:01PM
SwingtownAttention fans of Swingtown: your ratings-challenged show might actually have a chance to see a second season.

Even though the 70s-set drama isn't getting a ton of viewers (in its current time slot Friday at 10 or in its old Thursday at 10 time slot), there are execs behind the scenes at the network who like the show and would like to see it continue. The network is shopping the show around to cable networks to see if one of them will pick it up.

I would actually like to see this happen. As I've mentioned on these pages before, I have trouble with some of Swingtown, but at the same time I really want to see what happens to these characters, and there are a lot of other shows where I can't say that. I wonder if they'll pull an NBC and put it on DirecTV like we're seeing with Friday Night Lights, or maybe put it on Showtime. CBS has shown Dexter on the network so maybe Showtime can take Swingtown. That would certainly open up more plot possibilities for the show. And by possibilities I mean nudity and swearing.

Francine

I really hope this happens :). This is a great show and deserves a second season.

September 01 2008 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Can't believe no one thought to move it to BBC where the actor who plays Bruce has to have some connections.

August 27 2008 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

This is great news!!! I dont care what network it's on as long as there is a 2nd season in the future!

August 25 2008 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Make it a "Swingtown"/"The Mole" double header and call it "Bob Sassone Super TV Fun Time".

*uber-yawn*

August 24 2008 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

This is great news and I hope that it actually happens. This show is so much more than I expected it to be and the characters are written so well that I really care what happens to them. My wife and I are both pleased that even though the show was sold as a swingers show (with lots of implied rather than on screen sex) the sex has taken a back seat to their every day lives - which is how it happens in real life! It lends more credibility to the tone of the show that people aren't necessarily "doing the bunny bump" or swapping partners with their neighbors 24/7. It also helps that all the characters are smartly written and portrayed by fresh new faces without any baggage from former roles. Great stuff!

Best of all, the writers have absolutely NAILED the '70s. The sets, props, clothes, hair, attitudes, cars, jobs, music, language - all of it are spot on perfect without hammering it into us that "this show is taking place in the '70s people." The last show that handled a time shift this well was "The Wonder Years" and that one ran a lot longer than one season. Lets hope the Swingtown group gets to stay a little bit longer!

Maybe they could get Harry Reems to do a PSA for them this time?

August 23 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

AWESOME News. Hope it happens. Would be a great fit on Showtime. Swingtown and Mad Men have been the only shows (beside Kathy Griffin D-List) that have become must see t.v. this summer! Love the show and cast.

August 23 2008 at 5:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

I never watched Moonlight, so I can't really say anything about that. Besides, I belive the Ex List is taking Moonlight's spot. Go complain to that show.

I adore this show! I hope this is coming true, this would be soooo awesome. I sure am finding myself missing my regular Friday staple today. Next week cannot come soon enough for me.

August 22 2008 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patti's comment
Mitch D

Hi everyone. This is great news. My wife and I love Swingtown, no we are not swingers. but the show is fun and entertaining.

a great period piece. actually I think the show would be even more perfect for Showtime. Pick up the show, it is high quality and great. Keep it alive please

August 23 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ProgGrrl

Oh, this is great, I'm crossing my fingers. It would do better on cable -- not necessarily a pay channel, just cable. Where a show can have 2-4 million viewers and be a hit.

Although it certainly would be nice to lift the network shackles on Showtime, SWINGTOWN is just fine as-is, without any more swearing, skin, etc...

I've really been enjoying the show, the writing, the cast...let's hope the network figures out a way to keep on keepin' on, man!

August 22 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gin

I really like it too...honestly, I don't think it "needs" swearing or extensive nudity to be enjoyable, but if that is what will keep it alive, I say by all means go for it. I just hope it keeps itself grounded if it does go to cable and doesn't do a total 180 and become Boogie Nights all of a sudden.

August 22 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

OMG - that would be incredibly awesome! I am bummed that its not on tonight. I'm going to miss it! I would love to see a Showtime version. Outside of Jericho, it's my favorite show in a long, long time. And my other favorites are on Showtime, so they would be smart to pick it up. It would play nicely with Californication.

August 22 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply