October 30, 2014

Stargate Universe gets a green light

by Brett Love, posted Aug 22nd 2008 10:03AM
Sci Fi LogoWith that pesky business of putting the kibosh on season six of Atlantis out of the way, Sci Fi is now ready to announce that they are giving the Stargate Universe project a green light. The show will kick off with a two hour movie early next year and transition to a regular series for the summer. Creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper will be the executive producers.

Universe will follow a new cast of characters on the adventure that comes after they explore a ship launched by the Ancients, Destiny. The reconnaissance mission takes a dramatic turn when they discover that the ship can never return to Earth. They are along for the ride as the ship carries on with it's pre-programmed navigational schedule. The adventure comes during periodic stops at stargates. The danger is that if anyone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them.

There are no names attached for the cast as of yet, but most of us probably won't recognize many of them when the roles are filled. The word is that the network is looking for a recognizable actor for one lead role, and fresh faces for the rest of the crew. That's obviously a budget thing, but I don't think it's necessarily a mark against the show. While not ideal, a good cast can be built that way.

Personally, I already know I'm going to watch it no matter what. I'd have to hear some really crazy stuff to get me to not give another version of Stargate a chance. That's not to say I'm completely sold on the idea either. The references from Sci Fi president Dave Howe about targeting a younger audience, and the show having a younger vibe, give me pause.

Does Stargate really need to get younger? The core of the Stargate fan base has now been watching for over a decade. Given that most of them probably didn't start watching at eight, I'm not sure I understand the obsession with getting younger. It's possible I'm just too old and square to get it.

More concerns come in the form of this quote from Wright and Cooper: "In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home." Yeeeee. I just don't know. Something about "relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers" throws up a red flag. I like a good Degrassi marathon as much as anyone, but I'm just not sure I that I want to get my space adventure chocolate bar stuck in that particular brand of peanut butter.

On the plus side, I'm already curious to get a look at Destiny. The ship opens the door for exploring more Ancient tech, and the pre-programmed itinerary, while forcing deadlines on adventure, also should offer up new and interesting aliens. And, if I can just throw it out there, it's the perfect opportunity for Larrin to make a return to the franchise. Let's get Jill Wagner out of Wipeout and back on a proper series, even if it is just a short stint.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Does the idea of a younger, relationship focused, Stargate get the wheels turning? Or do you have visions of Gossip Girl in space, complete with your own mental caption, WTF? I do still want more Atlantis, but I'll certainly give this one a fair shot.

scifidude

Please Brett, no more of this lust for Jill Wagner. She is a beautiful woman who might have been a decent model, but her acting in Blade and SGA was awful. She needs to stop making excuses for her acting ability because she didn't go to acting school but got a business degree instead. She has been in LA for more than 6 years and she looks like she has never taking acting seriously enough to enroll in a good acting school or get a good acting coach and work on her (lack of) skill.

I have seen interviews with her and it seems she is more worried about music, musicians, and partying than putting in the time and effort to get better as an actress. I don't know why you would want Larrin on SGU except to stare at her. She was so unbelievable as a ship captain or a leader of her people. She looked more like a lost swimsuit model and she might as well as phoned in her laid back performance in SGA' BAMSR episode for as involved as she seemed to be in the episode.

Let her stay on that god-awful excuse of a TV show Wipeout and not bring down anymore science fiction shows.

September 05 2008 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Same crap, different network.
The lame lame excuse that the salaries of the people in Stargate Atlantis is getting too high is a cheap, cheap, cheap copout. Sci-fi is taking the lamest, cheapest, crappiest route possible by human kind. They are going to turn Stargate in to LostShip 90210. With lots of pretty young things sleeping with each other every week, a different partner every week, might as well put in on Cinemax Latenight. Might as well we're on a trip to NO where! Hey let's screw! It's Voyager with no helm control. Lame Lame Lame. This is the worst of all worlds. This is the same short sighted miopic thinking that cancelled Moonlight and Jericho. Way to go CBS! Now Sci-fi is copying you! Why is Ghostwhisper on the air still?!??!?

Real Science Fiction is long dead on TV in any channel. He's hoping the Star Wars Live Action Series can save sci-fi in 2010. We need a dark, gritty, dirty sci-fi series again! My dissapointment in the "you can never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator" mentality is confirmed once again.

August 31 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Well as far as the age thing, Im with you, i really dont understand why they feel they need to get a younger audience. Im only 24, so i wasnt 8 when SG-1 started but not too far off (and yes ive watched from the beginning). But i dont really get how SG-1 and Atlantis were even geared to an older audience versus a younger ones. I loved both shows and apparently im the audience they are now looking for? What was wrong w/the old format? Either way, its disappointing news that we are losing Atlantis, but luckily we have something new to look forward to once it ends.

August 25 2008 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I, for one, am done.

Loved SG1. Though IMHO it went downhill after RDA's departure, I just about croaked when it was cancelled.

Watched Atlantis from the beginning, initially for the crossovers! Love Atlantis, and NOT HAPPY it's also cancelled.

Movies once in a while do not satisfy the SG1 itch, and I'm sure they won't satisfy the Atlantis itch, either.

So, I'm done. I'm tired of being toyed with by Wright/Cooper/Whoever. In ending this second great series to draw in 'younger' viewers with what sounds like Soap Opera 90210 in Space, they've alienated exactly what they are allegedly looking for- a loyal viewer.

August 25 2008 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kael

I'll be tuning in, but the press release makes me a little nervous with a couple of things.

First, what do they mean by "younger"? Star Wars Clone Wars comes to mind; you can chart the decline of Star Wars' target audience's age from Episode 4 to Clone Wars as a fearfully steep fall, which is weird because the older a franchise, the older its fans. Hey, I'm 23 and I feel Stargate is made for me as it is. How much younger can they go? Is Universe going to feel like a Nickelodeon sitcom?

The other thing that has me worried is twofold: The Ancients and fantasy technology. I know I'm not alone in believing the essence of Stargate is that it's modern day in real life with relatable people in crazy sci-fi circumstances. SG-1 ballooned from that into space and magic powers, and Atlantis diverged from it a lot, too, but I hope Universe doesn't take it any further. As much as I like Star Trek, I don't think it would be right to see the new Stargate team use phasers. I'd add starships and transporters, but they're already in there. :)

Lastly, the Ancients. They don't have to keep drinking from the Ancient well. Ancient this, Ancient that, too much of the time. It's a new series; the perfect time to say "here's a mysterious ship from a race of people we DON'T know everything about" and make some new lore. The world's best storytelling device, a portal that takes you anywhere in the universe, and what they come up with is another Ancient ship. It's getting pretty boring, and they can do better.

The show could realize all my worst fears, but I'll still tune in because I don't think they can mess it up to the point I would stop watching.

August 24 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kael's comment
Kael

Hah, first time that happened to me. Sorry about that.

August 24 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kael

August 24 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simon Wakefield

When you read them saying that they want it to be about more character driven plots and the basic premise I have to say it sound like they are looking to tap into the BSG fanbase. After all BSG is largely about character driven plots about people stuck on a ship far away from home (Then again guess its also simerlar in premise as others have said to Voyager which in itself ripped off Lost In Space)

August 23 2008 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

So let me get this straight: A series where the main characters go through wormholes, visit strange places and are on a set time line before they are forced to travel again in fear of being left behind? Will one of the characters be a singer? How about a professor?

Come on people.... This is Stargate Sliders!

It will be interesting if they can put any twists on the concept, but I fear they will quickly change it like they did Atlantis because creating new fresh stories will be difficult and a life-line to Earth allows for other (easier) stories.

One of the things that made Atlantis so appealing was that the original concept was a team of explorers that are stranded away from Earth. When this was dropped and traveling between Earth and Atlantis was like taking a train from NY to Boston, it lost alot of it's potential.

But I agree with others here and Stargate is becoming pretty stale. I think the only way SG:U (lol) can get it's own legs and be fresh is if the show has no connections back to Earth and greatly reduces "technology solution to resolve the plot" that SG (and Star Trek) suffers from.

August 23 2008 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meghan

I hear "breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers", but the only thing I can envision is the Teenage!SG-1 team in the episode 200.

No thank you.

August 23 2008 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

If I want to watch a ship show I'll watch reruns of Star Trek TNG or Voyager. Heck even DS9. Stargate was supposed to be rooted in the 21st century, but like other posters have said, this new Universe concept is anything but Stargate. I guarantee you'll see the same plots and stories you have on late SG-1 and Atlantis, because these writers have run out of ideas. Replicators are sure to show up, as are a bad guy they introduce and then neglect for the remainder of the series (just like Atlantis did with the Wraith). Then we'll be treated to great space battles with the enemy, because of course, the show is named Starship... er Stargate.

And Oreo, yes Atlantis is a ship, but they aren't flying to a new planet every week.

August 22 2008 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply