Simon Cowell to shake up American Idol - I've got some ideas for him

by Jane Boursaw, posted Aug 25th 2008 10:20AM
Simon Cowell Wants to Shake up American IdolIt's sad when you can't remember who won the last American Idol. Oh yeah, David Cook. And we're avid fans around this house, too.

Simon Cowell probably remembers, but, apparently, he's as bored as the rest of us. In a TVGuide.com story, he says of Season 7, "I was a little bored ... I think [last season] the talent was great, and the ratings were great, I just think it could be more interesting and controversial."

That's why he plans to mix it up a little come January 2009, when he'll be taking a larger role in the show, perhaps compensating for executive producer Nigel Lythgoe stepping back to focus on his other show, So You Think You Can Dance.

Simon's not saying how he'll shake things up, but I have a few ideas:

1. Cut back on the auditions.
Once you've seen one plump woman in a Big Bird costume, you've seen them all.

2. Skip the hokey group songs and choreography. So embarrassing. Even the singers look embarrassed.

3. Get some guests who can sing.
I love Bette Midler as much as the next guy, but she was either way off her game that night or she's been away from the stage too long. I suggest more contemporary singers, like Duffy or Feist or Weezer.

4. Drop the tragedies.
Hey, I feel bad for kids who've lost their parents or are struggling with a chronic illness. I just don't want to be bombarded with it on American Idol. I don't even know these people, and I'm grieving for them.

5. Get some writers. Maybe they could hammer out some different things for the judges to say. You know, other than "'It's jes awright for me, dawg" and "You sound like a third-rate wedding singer."

6. Consider hiring new judges.
I'm tired of Paula, Randy and Simon. Hmmm, let's think about this. Maybe someone like Bono or Cher or Jessica Simpson. Hey, Simon said he wants controversy.

How would you change American Idol?

AeaeA

how to make American idol more interesting, stop it being a kareoke show, if these people are trying to become pop stars lets see what they have talent wise, get them to write their own material, thats right, their own songs, then you would start to see where the talent was.

November 03 2008 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

I love AI; but I must admit the judging is off a bit. I think AI should have a guest judge that is not a professional musician, singer, etc. to sit at the table w/these three judges each week. This person can relate what they like, what they don't like, and give their take on what they believe America is looking for in it's idol. Get someone who has a great sense of humor who can be critical, but not demeaning, or cruel. I think the show is great anyway; but I don't think this is a bad idea.

September 20 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mt

By the way Ryan Seacrest is very annoying.

September 13 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mt

they could change AI by cancelling it. I know this wont happen because of the massive ratings, but to me its really boring and stupid. By now i hate all the judges, they all are so predictable. Most of the kids that win never come to big fame. Rueben Studdard, Kelly Clarkson, Fantaisa, and some of the others i dont remember? Where are they??? People should know by now only a couple of the "stars" get big fame. I cant stand realty shows. Today there's too many of them on tv. AI's had a "good" LONG run, cancel it and move on to something better, FOX!!!

September 13 2008 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Great show! Love the auditions minus the ugly people with no talent that Simon makes fun of and I have to feel sorry for......teaches young people to laugh at the disadvantaged. People should be allowed only one vote to make it real. Randy's comments are boring.......can't stand the dawg comment, and lets keep it real means you were bad. Too predictable. With 4 judges how the heck will the tie be broken??

September 02 2008 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
viewdrix

Shorten the auditions? I understand some people don't like them, but you could, you know, not watch them. I'm not making blogs telling the producers to shorten the main competition. I just don't watch.

August 25 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenny

I think the most interesting and controversial thing to do would be to cancel the show. Great idea, no?

August 25 2008 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

MERVE-THE-PERVE said...
"Didn't Sonny Bono die?"

Um, I'm thinking he means Bono from U2. Although a dead Sonny Bono couldn't be any worse of a judge than Randy Jackson.

I would also like them to let the singers perform an entire song instead of shortened versions of everything. They learn the short version for the show and the full version for recording for iTunes, so it's no wonder there were so many lyric flubs this past season.

I agree with showing less of the audition rounds and annoying backstories.

I also think they need to stop dividing the numbers along gender lines. When they pick the top 24, it should be the 24 best performers, regardless of gender, and the bottom 2 should be voted off each week, again, regardless of gender.

August 25 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

My wife and I fell in love with American Idol in Season Five. There was SOO much talent that year! Then, Season six, came and went and we couldn't have cared less. Season seven was full of talent, and it was a wonderful idea to allow instruments, but there was something missing.

I like the idea of shorter auditions and a lengthier exploration of Hollywood Week. As to changing the judges, I'm not so sure. Seeing Paula make a fool of herself is one of the best things about the show!

August 25 2008 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply