August 21, 2014

The chances for a Flashpoint pickup are good

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 26th 2008 10:22AM
FlashpointAll right, let me say this up front and without equivocation: if CBS picks up Flashpoint and cancels Swingtown, I'm going to be ticked off. I'm not down on Flashpoint. As Jane wrote, Flashpoint is a good show. No 24, but solid procedural entertainment. However, when I read that Canada's CTV has renewed up north and sources say that CBS is close to doing the same, I immediately got my back up.

Why should Flashpoint get a break while an interesting, quirky and outside-the-box drama like Swingtown may not? It's disheartening to me that CBS is searching for a cable network to take Swingtown, while a "safe" crime show like Flashpoint doesn't have that concern.

To me, it's an easy choice. Flashpoint may be consistent, but it'll never be exceptional. Swingtown, on the other hand, already has a loyal and vocal fan base. I've read the emails and comments. Like Jericho and Moonlight, two other CBS products that engendered viewer loyalty but low ratings, Swingtown is fighting for its existence.

How ironic that if Swingtown were on cable, it wouldn't have these ratings worries. The expectations are so different off-network that I can see a future where more producers will be drawn away from the big three + Fox. If Mad Men were on a network now, the low ratings would be a serious concern.

However, I think if Nina Tassler, CBS president who has been a champion for Swingtown, wants to grow the network and prove that they're more than CSI and CSI-like shows, renew Swingtown. Let it come back in early 2009 and commit to it. And as for Flashpoint, you can still find room for it, no doubt...just not at the expense of Swingtown.

By the way, I know that advertising for Swingtown has been an issue. However, some shows are worth the risk. CBS has done really well and played it safe for too long. A Swingtown pick up would show me that they're willing to go out on a limb for a change.

Julie

Swingtown is a great show, and I don't care what anyone else has to say about it. It's by far the best show this summer, and it deserves a second season no matter how bad ratings are.

Flashpoint is a consistent ratings-winner (sad when it only gets 7 million an episode), yet it has no buzz whatsoever. Seriously, no one talks about this show. The critics don't care, and I don't think the audience that watches really does, either. On the other hand, Swingtown has had a tough 11 episodes - it moved to Fridays at 10pm, probably at this point the worst slot on television in the summer, and it hasn't gotten the best ratings (lately, 3-4 million an episode, and huge spikes when DVR-viewers are added in), yet it continues to get a lot of buzz. Lately, most of it has been positive, and the fan base is a vocal one. They're already staritng petitions and sending letters and emails to CBS, because they know they have to fight to get it back. I see nothing of the sort for Flashpoint.

Basically, I agree that Swingtown should come back because it's new and different than any other CBS show. CBS is known for their cop and procedural dramas, and Swingtown could change that. It deserves a second season.

August 28 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xerxes

I see Moonlight lover Angel(crest) has made her way over here too with her inspiring comments. I'll ignore this one. Whatever the future holds for 'Swingtown' a lot of people will remember what fun they had watching it this summer. 'Flashpoint'? A year from now. "What was the name of that cop show again?' Okay, sorry. Didn't mean to bash it -- just slamming the genre in general because there is too much of it. I think of how lucky the Gunsmoke fans were considering that show ran for 26 years. I'd just settle for another season or two of 'Swingtown'.

August 27 2008 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
June

SWINGTOWN is trash....I don't like their world at all....what a show to show to the younger generation.

If you like it...YOUR SICK, SICK, SICK

August 27 2008 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

More of the same...

The more interesting shows never last because the masses don't get it...and that is who major networks are for.

I still miss Journeyman.

August 26 2008 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marm

I agree with you. Flashpoint is a good show, and certainly deserves a chance, but if I had to choose between Swingtown and Flashpoint, Swingtown would win hands down.

The world needs more shows that portray a wider variety of lifestyles and this show does that with both humour and emotion. Go Swingtown!

August 26 2008 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I've never seen Flashpoint, so I can't make an objective assessment. But for @Argus to say it's "one of the most successful shows this summer" seems disingenuous. I mean, I've never even HEARD of Flashpoint, and I read a lot of TV news and blogs. As far as I know, no one is even talking about it. I'm not quite sure what the measure of success here is.

Swingtown may not have great ratings, and even its critical reception has been mixed. But it's looking at the 70s from a wholly new angle, and in many ways it's an excellent complement to [the actually successful summer hit] Mad Men. Swingtown looks at the fallout of the events that the folks on Mad Men are just starting to get inklings of.

I'll be very sad if Swingtown is cancelled--especially at the expense of another show. It was nice to see the networks taking an ACTUAL risk, instead of just talking about it.

August 26 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Swingtown is a more interesting show. Flashpoint seems like 20 other shows on Network TV. It's ok but I've see many of these plot lines before.

August 26 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I wanted to like Flashpoint, but ultimately I couldn't get around the fact that I didn't buy for a second that they were supposedly highly trained specialists. Not that they were incompetent but I never bought them as anything more than actors and there were only two who I even enjoy(ed) watching: Amy Jo Johnson and Enrico Colantoni.

August 26 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

So basically your argument is "Swingtown is different, Flashpoint is not, so Swingtown should get picked up." This kind of overlooks the whole "Swingtown is tanking, Flashpoint is one of the most successful shows this summer" dynamics of the thing. Its not like they're in competition either, if they both got good ratings then they both would be renewed, making your anger weird and displaced.

August 26 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Finally a mention of Flashpoint on TV Squad. The thing that seperates Flashpoint and Swingtown is heart. It's ultimately nothing like any other "cop show" on TV because it makes you empathize with the criminals, and understand their motivation for resorting to criminal behavior. That combined with strong acting and excellent guest stars is why the show is getting renewed.

August 26 2008 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Adam's comment
snowy2004

I agree. While it's nearly a shame that it's the case (for the cast), Flashpoint revolves around the crime, not the police. This makes it stand out from... well, pretty much every single police drama on TV.

August 26 2008 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply