December 21, 2014

The Middleman: The Clotharian Contamination Protocol

by Jason Hughes, posted Aug 26th 2008 12:42PM
Mary Pat Gleason(S01E11) "We have vents large enough to crawl in through with accessible registers everywhere. Was this building designed by TV writers, or what?" --Wendy Watson

Well, well, Wendy Watson. Wow! Natalie Morales was possibly looking hotter than ever in the opening scene of tonight's episode. it's amazing the depth of cleavage they are able to create with what assets she has. The power of Hollywood brassieres, I guess. My wife would kill for that magical ability. I wouldn't be displeased either.

Then they upped the ante by giving us a full-on panties and bra scene. Or boxers and t-shirt for the Middleman if that's more your flavor. I guess for next week, she'll spend the entire episode in a string bikini. Maybe that'll help the ratings. It's sad to think that next week is the season, and possibly series, finale of what has become a charmingly delightful little show.

Slowly, as the series has progressed, the characters of Lacey and Noser have evolved into more rounded personalities. Lacey used to be an ethereal protesting speed-talker, while Noser was little more than a slow talking song quoter. I wonder if this is a move to try and appeal to a wider audience? They've even added emotional depth to the Middleman himself. It changes the dynamics of the show to have a more well-rounded cast, so that's not a bad thing.

And then there's Tyler, who's become such a significant character in the show that he now gets scenes of his own featuring none of the other cast members. I do like his personality, and he's a good fit for the show. I wonder if he's being set to join the Middleman organization sometime down the road. Otherwise, why spend so much time giving him his own B-plot in this episode?

Fatboy Industries seems to be another Middleman organization, or as far as we know it could be the organization behind the Middlemen. Lke the Tyler storyline itself, they're going somewhere with this Fatboy gig he picks up in this episode. Considering we might be closing in on the end of The Middleman, I hope they don't leave us on one of those cliffhanger endings that we may never get resolution for.

SO MUCH FUN, SO LITTLE TIME
  • It was a fun trip down memory lane with the Code 47 messages the Middleman recorded for Wendy.
  • Loved Wendy's Die Hard reference in the ventilation shafts, complete with lighter. And all the other ones; can you name them all?
  • So the inside of Ida looks like a run-down old building complete with rusted valves and steam everywhere.
  • The scene setting captions were out of control this week, particularly when Wendy was in Ida.
  • Ida looked positively normal inside her own brain. And she was so much more subdued. She was actually ... pleasant. I know she's polarizing to some, but I love Ida.
**SPOILER ALERT!**

If you've not read the ending of the original graphic novel, then you should stop reading now...

... no seriously, why are you still reading this?

...okay, I warned you!

...So do we really think the Middleman might die and be replaced in next week's finale? And will it feature the return of Wendy Watson's father? The show has already expanded beyond its source material, and I'd much rather the Middleman remain a part of the show. I find his quaint and charming ass-kickery a great lead and a perfect foil for Wendy's smart-assery. Maybe Tyler won't survive the finale? Or maybe they all will. The whole Tyler-Wendy thing just seems too perfect to last.

**END SPOILER ALERT!**

Who's your least favorite character?
The Middleman11 (5.7%)
Wendy13 (6.7%)
Lacey26 (13.5%)
Noser56 (29.0%)
Ida25 (13.0%)
Tyler62 (32.1%)

nattyff

love it!!!

August 28 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I never read the graphic novel, but there was no way that Fatboy and Badger/Romo Lampkin were on the side of good. I suspected that they were a dark side to O2STK's light, but when we saw Tyler at the end in a tailored suit with a Bluetooth? That iced it for me.

My own favorite line was:
"I'll be shredded!"
"Like a White House phone log."

And I loved Wendy's live Code 47--Keeslar's reactions while listening to it were some fine acting, too. I got all teary. And then creeped out that the Middleman is daddy to Dubbie and loverboy to Lacey. That's....wrong.

August 27 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

It appears you've read the graphic novel before -- then Fatboy should be pretty obvious.

Federated Agents of Tyranny, Betrayal, and Oppression's Yoke, anyone?

August 26 2008 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David's comment
nickmagoo

nope, never read it. just an educated guess...but i guess i might take a look at the graphic novel now.

August 27 2008 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

yes, the bra and panties were sigh worthy, and Middleman was not just in boxers, but stripped down all the way (though all that was seen was the torso).

for BSG fans, slick and possibly sinister Manservant Neville (head of fatboy) is the canny lawyer from Baltar's trial. Frankly, I think Fatboy is going to turn out to be the yang to Middleman's yin - similar but potentially conflicting organizations.

btw, no mention of the youcube or whatever it was called? what the heck was the 'youcube's' function?? possibly made from alien technologies taken by fatboy for capitalistic purposes? will the boyfriend turn from 'i'm a songwriter with high falutin and insanely improbable ethics' to becoming Manservant's, uh, man servant...

hope it makes it to season 2...

August 26 2008 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Great ep. I loved the covert Die Hard references including Yippy-Cay-ay mother*** - it's the first time I laughed at the bleeped cursing. Side note: Brain Ida is really pretty. However, I always thought 2 things about Tyler:
1) He'd make a better Middleman than WW (I love her, but he's the one that saved her in the Booty Chest & the one who noticed the car accident)
2) He would be recruited by an evil version of the middleman (which I believe will happen next week) -

August 26 2008 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

I couldn't even pick a least favorite character, they all bring something to the table. This is also a must see for me, I really hope it stays on, I look forward to seeing where it takes the viewers!

August 26 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

This show started out for me as a fun distraction when nothing else was available to watch, but its grown into some must-see-tv for me now. It would be a real tragedy if ABC Fam didn't give this a second season especially as the series seems to get better with each passing episode.

August 26 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

See The Middleblog for a complete list of references from last night's episode: http://themiddleblog.livejournal.com/37477.html

August 26 2008 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miriam

Loved the HHGttG reference with the pan galactic gargle blaster.

August 26 2008 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

Great episode last night. The die hard references were great.

Hopefully ABC Family will give this show another season to find an audience.

August 26 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply