September 22, 2014

Weeds: Head Cheese

by Erin Martell, posted Aug 26th 2008 8:37AM
Julie Bowen
(S04E11)
The truth hurt almost everyone this week. The stress of having both a deflowered son and knowledge of the tunnel's other uses took its toll on Nancy. Harsh reality set in for the others as well. Doug's faults weren't lost on Maria, Celia's lack of insurance affected her recovery, and Bob Odenkirk made me lose confidence in commercial airline pilots. Where's Jimmy Jam when you need him?

Trust issues aside, Nancy has learned a thing or two from Esteban. I was glad that she spanked Shane for flaunting his sex life (gag, by the way) by bringing the goth girls to the kitchen in the morning. It's not much, but it's a start. She also took his advice--making up for one's crimes with positive acts--to heart, and took the idea more seriously than Esteban did. Black-tie charity functions and mobile medical units don't cancel out human trafficking and gun-running. Esteban's making more of an effort than the average drug kingpin, but it's a half-assed effort nonetheless. Nancy, on the other hand, will try to save Guillermo's "cousins" by snitching to Till. Again, it's a promising start.

The rehab scenes gave us the kind of Celia moments that we should have been getting all season. A bloody-nosed Celia offering herself to Mexican tunnel guards? No. A mid-detox Celia mixing it up with Bob Odenkirk? Yes. Celia getting a prison makeover against her will? Disturbing. Celia in group therapy with the dregs of society? Perfection. That crack addict had her hair in a side ponytail, for heaven's sake. Side ponytails are always funny, no matter what the context.

The rest of the Botwin gang dealt with the consequences of their poor relationship decisions. Shane is in over his head with Harmony and Simone. His only options of escape are if Isabelle destroys them or if the family leaves Ren Mar. I'm willing to forgive the painfully obvious Andy-Doug-Mermex love triangle if it ends in some sort of hilarious fight between the two guys. Did anyone else think of Arrested Development when Maria realized that Doug wasn't boyfriend material? Although they were never spoken, I could almost hear the words "I've made a huge mistake." I can't imagine any scenario that would redeem Silas' pot sandwich storyline. Perhaps Nancy can feed Till some bogus evidence linking Guillermo to Lisa, resulting in Lisa's imprisonment and death at the hands of Celia's former cellmate, Chita.

With only two episodes remaining, it's time to be realistic about what we can expect from the show this season. I'm not convinced that Ren Mar is an ideal permanent home for the Botwins. With the exception of Davenport and Marzipan (now long gone), the Ren Mar characters have not won me over. Would anyone be disappointed if the Botwins packed up and moved again? The writers moved the core characters once; they can move them again. What do you say, Weeds fans? Is it time to move on, or would you stick around for another Ren Mar season?

My favorite lines of the night:

• "It's your job to threaten to shoot me, not to actually shoot me." --Nancy, to Ignacio.
  • "Sweet, daddy issues. Age difference should work in my favor." --Doug
  • "What we pay our help in a year won't cover a week here." --the caring, sensitive rehab employee.

Two weeks from now--Nancy does some snitching and Maria makes a predictable pass at El Andy. Only two more episodes left!

Is this the beginning of the end for Nancy and the Mexican mafia?
Yes. Her snitching will bring down Esteban's organization. She'll move on.49 (17.0%)
No. Nancy will protect Esteban and only snitch on Guillermo.90 (31.3%)
Nancy doesn't even have a plan at this point.145 (50.3%)
Other (elaborate in comments).4 (1.4%)

GL

I love this season even as a bridge (except the sammich shop nonsense).

The writers are telling their story and though they have to grab ratings, I don't think it's off the mark for them to not follow the whims of the "fans" when writing their freakin' show. They have a lot more on the line after all.

August 28 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctunightfall

This season seemed like a bridge IMO. The snitch story is probably Nancy's exit strategy.

August 27 2008 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

With only 2 episodes left, I don't see what the purpose of this season was. It's just been hovering... floating... not going anywhere. There's no antagonist, nothing and nobody threatening Nancy. Nancy has no business anymore, so there's nothing for her to manage and build and look out for. Everyone is out of their element and the best character of the show - Agrestic - is dead.

The only good thing about this season, Albert Brooks' Lenny, is long gone. Unless they can get Nancy back home to Agrestic selling weed with Conrad in the next 2 episodes, this will be my least favorite season of Weeds by far.

August 26 2008 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
Akbar Fazil

To me, the fact that everything has been hovering has been the point of this whole season. I imagine things are going to fall into place at the end as setup for the next season (which if I recall correctly was ordered together with this season.)

August 26 2008 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

To waste an entire season only to setup the next one would be too much of a disappointment for any Weeds fan.

And it would p!ss me off more than I already am. Oh well...

And there is absolutely no way that Celia or Elizabeth Perkins should remain on this show. In any way, shape or form. I don't know what the reviewer has been smoking, but her opinions of Celia are pretty far off the mark. The character of Celia is a waste of film and paper.

This was indeed the absolute worst season of Weeds there ever has been. Jenji Kohan must've had a gun to her head with all of the drastic, unnecessary, unfunny and illogical storyline changes that were made.

I can't understand why writers/producers claim to know better than their fans, only to wonder why these same fans abandon them when stupid decisions like these are made. The producers of Lost learned the hard way two seasons ago that you can't get too full of yourself. I'm sure Jenji Kohan is due for a reality check real soon.

Weeds had two absolutely hilarious seasons, and then a mediocre third one. I hope to God this show is cancelled soon. And for the record, this season stunk from the first episode.

(And to all the lamers who like to say: "Well don't watch it then...", I love to be proven right every week. Weeds has consistently disappointed me with every episode for the past two seasons, and I'll watch it until the bitter end. Then I'll grumble right here to you. Don't you love the internet?)

Jeez, when is BSG starting up again? Or Dexter?

August 27 2008 at 5:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Yes strwbrryblnde, you're correct. That is what Doug said.

August 26 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
strwbrryblnde

My favorite line was also Doug's but I thought he said "cock-amole to her faceadilla".

August 26 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

Hello ... funniest line of the season goes to Doug: " 'guac'amole on her faceadilla.

August 26 2008 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to doug's comment
Jim Kata

Boston Legal is doing a crossover with Weeds?

August 26 2008 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kata

What's up with the pic of Jennifer Westhoven? Is Weeds doing a crossover with CNN?

August 26 2008 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim Kata's comment
Akbar Fazil

Are you trying to be funny or do you not realize that is Julie Bowen?

August 26 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply