October 25, 2014

Eureka: Show Me The Mummy

by Brett Love, posted Aug 27th 2008 9:02AM
Colin Ferguson - Eureka
(S03E05) This week in Eureka wasn't quite what I expected. After the dramatics from "I Do Over" I assumed most of that would be swept to the side and we would be treated to one of the more comedic episodes. The fact that the episode was based on a mummy, and that goofy title, kind of hinted at that as well. It wasn't all yuks and Egyptian mysticism though. Weaved in with that weekly story we had the fallout from those major events from last week.

I was on board with the mummy story from jump street, for the simple fact that it was a mummy story. I've lost count of the hours I've lost to Egyptian marathons on the Discovery, History, and Science channels. Even fictional mummies and tombs fascinate me.

The mummy part of the story started out well. The setup, from Carter's "Eureka had a queen?" to Wilding's warning of a curse, right on through to Sebastian Marx (or Paco Lopez if you prefer) being a giant tool, was all very entertaining. It started to get a little convenient when the swarm left the hazmat tent at the B&B and stayed together to the point that every last one of them was lured into the Cafe Diem freezer by Lexi's yoga hits. I forgive the convenience though, because I always like it when Carter's common sense and reasoning trumps the big brains at GD.

While it was a little by the numbers as a main story, it's worth pointing out that the whole thing looked great. The tomb set, the hieroglyphs, and even the swarm were all very well done. I also liked that they continued with the new, self aware Carter. I was unsure about the addition of Lexi when I heard she was coming, but it's working out rather nicely. The opening scene was very cute. It's still obvious that Carter is working at being a better brother to her, but it also shows that he's starting to get what the benefits of that are.

Colin Ferguson - Eureka

The Allison story leaves me a little torn. I never really felt like they sold the Allison/Stark romance, which is a big part of why I was so sure that the marriage would never happen. Because of that, I have trouble getting too drawn in by the aftermath. It was ok. The newly complicated Allison/Carter dynamic is intriguing, but the logic diamond hologram didn't do a lot for me. I was disturbed by the loss of Stark, but not from that angle. I'm actually going to miss the Carter/Stark relationship much more than Allison/Stark.

Eva's big plan remains a mystery, but there was some more incremental development. Apparently Henry has had time to look over that pardon and realize that he's not beholden to her, so he's not so game to be involved if he's going to be left in the dark. That came as something of a surprise. I assumed he'd stay as involved as he could in order to gain information. By stepping back from the mysterious "hotel" he left the door open for Zane. The way he is falling in with her scheme tracks well with what we saw earlier in the season.

My best guess is that it also points to what will eventually be Eva's downfall. Zane has certainly been shown to be one with questionable ethics and morals on occasion, but Eureka has given him a chance to straighten things out. When the dust settles, he'll be on the Carter side of the inevitable showdown, much to Eva's detriment. I'm not sure how the cryptex combination lock fits in with the other clues, but the description on the page Eva had ends with "...successful entry of all the coordinates...deactivating the security system." Perhaps this is what gets her into the underground areas we saw earlier? Here's a screencap of the page. Click it for a bigger version.

Eureka Cryptex lock

Other bits:

My favorite nutty science of the night: "Had to use a superconductor to generate a massive anti-gravitational field. It's protected by a thermoplastic multifilament polymer." "Air bags."

The title of Marx's book was the same as the episode, "Show Me The Mummy." Nice touch.

A memorial hallway? Even with a koi pond, it's still a hallway. I expected more for Stark.

Stark is dead... for now.

We have a couple hours of Lexi under our belts, what do you think?
Thumbs up. I like where this is going.74 (33.9%)
Eh, I'm reserving judgment until we see more.117 (53.7%)
Thumbs down. She should have stayed with Dr. WHO.27 (12.4%)

MrWeen

Did nobody hear the Heroes reference? I loved it!

Save Fargo, save the town!

September 06 2008 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vermillion

Hello, been reading for a while, decided to post now.

Did anyone else notice that not a single person treated Carter like an idiot and/or crazy person? While there was the requisite science talk explanation (I liked the air bags line as well), nobody gave that condescending look or acted like the ideas Carter came up with were nigh-impossible and silly to even consider. They actually treated him with some respect.

The fact that this is the first episode with no Stark (not counting the hologram) isn't lost on me.

August 28 2008 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Regarding the swarm, only part of it was hanging around outside Cafe Diem. Carter installed (or more likely, had Henry install) the giant speakers in his Jeep and drove around the town playing Lexi's CD to attract the rest of the insects to join them. I believe they only show him running inside, so it may have been confusing, but we're definitely meant to suppose he drove there.

August 28 2008 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

ok, here's my quibble or two from last night's episode: so these folks can just take a MASSIVE ancient tomb from egypt - but no mention of working with the egyptian govt. after being routinely pillaged by archaeologists in the early 20th century (my gr.father, who worked on several digs in the 20s, took his fair share out) they're very protective of their heritage. plus the hieroglyphics were so poorly done it wasn't believable at all.

August 27 2008 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

"Is there any mummy home?" LOL!!! My kids and I had to rewind that line a few times and we laughed out butts off every time.

August 27 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lou

#3 they do that every week. I'll have to check the tape to see what this weeks was.

The one I remeber was something like "don't try this at home, we're professionals"

August 27 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

Eugene, what does "GA" stand for? I'm having a senior moment when it comes to current shows. All I can come up with is "Green Acres"!

August 27 2008 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Toby O\'B's comment
Eugene

grey's anatomy

August 27 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Lawson

Wow. Another recycled britcom. Since HBO seems to be completely bereft of series ideas these days, I wonder why they didn't just license airing the original ITV series and call it a day?

August 27 2008 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.V.C

It was late last night for a couple of minutes becuase of MSNBC's Kieth Oberman giving a rundown of the DNC. Why is this on Sci-Fi ?? Who knows.

August 27 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to K.V.C's comment
Piper

SciFi channel is owned by the NBC/Universal, which owns, Brao, USA, MSNBC, CNBC, and NBC, so you get cross promotions on the networks.

August 27 2008 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

My favorite bit of business was seeing Vincent dressed to resemble Victor Buono as King Tut on 'Batman'. The perfect choice for him!

August 27 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply