October 1, 2014

The Daily Show: August 26, 2008 - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 27th 2008 12:43PM
TDS"Guess Who's Coming to Denver?": The Daily Show is back! They'll be in Denver for the whole Democratic National Convention, workin' their shiny new set. It's pretty much just Jon's "j" desk and a whole lot of big screens hanging in the back. The gang was in full form, and I believe this was the most I've laughed at the show in a while. Perhaps it only feels that way because the show has been gone for a week and a Monday. Thank goodness they returned, because I was starting to get the shakes.

It was fantastic to see all the correspondents together again. Even Samantha Bee was there, with her and Jason Jones' new baby! Sam looked fantastic. She's bounced back rather quickly, even after the first pregnancy. Anyway, I think this is the first time since the original commercial airings that I've laughed at "Wazzap!" but the same cannot be said for "... and twins!" because, really, America does love the Coors twins.

"Indecision 2008": Michelle Obama was one of the big guests from the first night of DNC action. The part with the real Obama girls, his and Michelle's daughters was hilarious. Jon perfectly echoed my thoughts. "Ha! Isn't that delight -- that little girl... won't. Shut. Up." Those kids should have taken a cue from Samantha Bee's new baby to stay quiet and just look cute.

"Healing Clinton Supporters": John Oliver filed a report about Hillary Clinton supporters that aren't so hot on supporting Barack Obama. This was really beautifully done. Everything was perfect, from bringing in the child psychologist to having Jason Jones in he naughty corner to showing the anti-Obama Hillary supporters what for in that simple racism/sexism cutting. Also, I knew that Clintons for McCain chick looked familiar! Earlier, she pissed off Chris Matthews (and just about everyone watching Chris Matthews) outside the convention. If you really want to watch, prepare to feel an overwhelming need to throttle the computer.

Lower your blood pressure and watch this totally irrelevant video of a Wilford Brimley kitty eating dinner.

The night's guest was Virginia governor Tim Kaine. This whole interview went really smoothly and Governor Kaine did a perfect job of answering the questions without making everything too super-serious. He talked about the vetting process, which ultimately resulted in Joe Biden standing by Obama as his runningmate. Did his eyebrow really come up in the vetting process as a negative? I honestly didn't even notice until some blogs pointed it out. I mean, that button could double as something for Stephen Colbert fans, which can only be a positive thing.

Moment of Zen: Fox News doesn't quite know how to feel about Michelle Obama's speech.

jam

did anyone else get a "spiritual successor" feeling from John's beginning of the segment with the "United Democrats"? I'm almost too lazy to check the site for which show it was, well no, I am too lazy to check, but I'm gonna make blanket assumption that Stephen's interview with the "gay guy, tree hugger, ... (umm, was there a token black guy?) etc etc." was during or around the 2004 DNC.

I can only remember the line when Stephen asks one of the people "Are you against gay marriage? [No] Kiss the gay guy"

Oh - just remembered, there was an 'indian'. "Ghandi" indian, not "Sitting Bull" indian

August 28 2008 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Discosis

Annie, could you please not embed Hulu videos? They only work for people in the US... the ones from the Daily Show site should work for the rest of us :)

August 28 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Discosis's comment
Annie W.

Skipping to the end of a very long explanation: Sorry, but I've been asked to use these Hulu clips when I can. Occasionally the TDS site ones will be used instead, but the majority will most likely be Hulu.

But thanks for asking nicely. Honestly.

August 28 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Weeeee! Look at teh kitteeeeeh!

^^;

August 27 2008 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The blonde Clinton supporter for McCain looks like Ann Coltour.

August 27 2008 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I wonder what the chances are that the blonde "Clintons for McCain" chick is a McCain campaign plant. She looks stereotypically republican, is aggressively seeking out media opportunities, and has fake testimonies. I know the McCain campaign has been really aggressive so it wouldn't put it past them.

I remember when McCain only referred to french fries...

On a side note, why is the Conservative Canadian Health Minister, Tony Clement, at the DNC? We have 12 people dead because of a tainted food outbreak, it really seems that he should be back here. I swear if the Harper Admin intends to screw with Obama again I'll be pissed.

August 27 2008 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Argus's comment
B

Most of the Clinton supporters for McCain group are really McCain supporters who are trying to screw up with the Democratic party. They're a continuation of Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos.

August 27 2008 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Best line of the night: "Republicans love America, they just hate half the people in it."

I heard about Kaine's eyebrows on "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me" two weeks ago. People were saying they were too feminine. The producers at Wait Wait brought on a cosmetic expert to describe how to fix them. She also said what was wrong with McCain's eyebrows.

August 27 2008 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zachary's comment
Brett

Best line of the night? That's one of their best lines *ever*

August 27 2008 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply