September 19, 2014

More America's Got Talent coming our way

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Aug 28th 2008 11:20AM
America's Got TalentIn one of the most unsurprising news of the day, NBC announces that it is renewing America's Got Talent for a fourth season. The "greatest show in the world," as host Jerry Springer says, is the most-watched summer show so it's no wonder the network wants to continue the adventure and make more money in the process.

Even if millions of viewers watch America's Got Talent weekly, it doesn't mean they are not tired of of some aspects of the show. Some changes are needed if the producers and the network want to score the same ratings next season and maybe bring on new viewers. Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Change the host. Jerry Springer reads the teleprompter way too much. Also, his interactions with the contestants are sometimes painful to watch because Springer doesn't know what to tell them or how to act around them.
  • Change at least one of the judges or add a fourth one. The show already changed one of the judges in the past so we know they can do it. Adding a fourth judge wouldn't be original since American Idol is doing it next season. However, both options offer some needed freshness to the judges panel. Aren't you tired of hearing the same comments over and over again?
  • Stop having the acts you (aka the producers) want us to vote for perform last. We get it, they have touching stories and amazing voices but can't you let us come to the conclusion that they should move on further in the competition on our own?
  • Cut down the number of audition episodes. I, for one, love the audition process. It's the only part of shows like American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance I watch. But there were way too many episodes spent on auditions this summer. If producers want to have the same number of episodes, how about showing us a little bit more of Vegas Week?
  • Live shows are not your friends unless you actually know how to produce a live show. The last two live shows were painful to watch because of the poor editing/lighting/audio and cuts between the shots, just to name a few flaws. If producers can't find the proper staff to produce live shows, maybe it's time to turn to pre-recorder "live" shows. We will still watch AGT and vote even if the performance shows are taped the day before (or earlier the morning the episodes air).
Do you agree with my suggestions to improve the show? If you were one of AGT's producers, what would you do to improve the show and ensure that it stays the "greatest show in the world"? Let your voice be heard in comments below.

Maria Mauro

I think there should be an age limit as that adorable girl broke my heart when she was let go and I think to young to work in Vegas.
Neil is perfect he is a true winner and im sure will put together a great show. I wished he had song Granada he would of know there socks off I live in Vegas and had him from the beginning a winner.

October 02 2008 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susan

I think that Sharon Osbourne/Piers Morgan are much better at the judging than David Hasselhoff, but he is encourging to each act, Piers Morgan being the most honest and probably the best for the talent as he helps them to realize what the show is really about, which is talent. Sharon I think balances out both of the men. She brings a sweet balance to the show. I think you have one realist/one sweet but can be real/and who well he just seems to like everyone. Piers Morgan very intellengent about his comments. Sharon very well thought out and david well what can you say?

September 04 2008 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

One of the things I found annoying this season was the fake studio audience. Please take away the studio audience in the audition rounds. The fake applause, chanting, booing, and over enthusiasm detracted from the acts themselves.

August 28 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loveli1025r

i think they need to get rid of hasselhoff. he judges with his lower boody part which is why they have those burlesque acts. also why sahronh osborne? does she acutally know about talent? what dopes she do when she is not on the osbornes?
i do not know why they put that ridicuous zoopersstars on the show. that is a halftime act. that is not a million doolar act and the judges said so last night. i don not tknow hwat they were thinking at the audition.
i agree about have talen fro m age 16 and up.

August 28 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

I agree with pretty much all of your suggestions... I've got a few in addition to those.

I noticed this year they mixed up auditions from around the country... (i.e., there were some from NYC in pretty much every audition episode). If they want to do this, I'd like to see them group similar kinds of acts for each audition episode... so we can, for example, see all the magicians in the same episode, so we can compare and contrast them.

Cut down on the singers... especially those in the same age group that should already be getting their chance on American Idol! That's too much crossover.

Encourage more musical groups to audition. There's got to be some bands out there deserving of a shot!

Remind performers who are going to audition that their act needs to be able to fill out an hour to two hours. Many of the acts auditioning would be fine as one segment of a show with multiple acts, but I can't see a complete show featuring them.

Stop putting through the acts that are just ridiculous. I, for one, am tired of seeing the "impersonators" who just lip-synch being lumped in with those who actually do the voices as well as look the part!

Don't let anyone audition who's not of a certain age... it's insane to have four, five and six year olds competing with the grown-ups! I'd say nobody under, say, 12 is allowed to audition (or perhaps create a spin-off show for the kids to be part of... "Young America's Got Talent," with judges who are younger, too.

Do we even need a "host" like Jerry Springer at all? Wouldn't it be even better if the host rotated from season to season, and actually had a host who, say, was close to winning the last season, so they can actually offer better condolences to acts that miss, and advice for those who are moving on?

Automatic pie in the face to every judge who says some variation of "You're what this show is all about."

Jon