September 16, 2014

NBC gets behind Chuck in a big way

by Allison Waldman, posted Aug 28th 2008 9:04AM
Chuck trioIf you're of the belief that actions speak louder than words, than this move by NBC is proof positive that the network has great faith in Chuck. NBC has given Chuck an early full-season pickup.

The term is called a "back-nine" order, which means that the adventures of a geek-turned-reluctant super spy, will be on NBC for all of 2008-09. The vagaries of the demographics and Nielsens notwithstanding, NBC is betting on Chuck.

The comedy-adventure is entering its sophomore season, returning on Monday, September 29, at 8 E.T. Apparently, the powers-that-be at NBC -- Ben Silverman -- have liked the shows that are currently in the can.

Assuming they're right, Chuck will pick up right where it left off last year with sharp characters, funny stories and the right blend of action and laughs. It's not an easy mix, although when it works -- like Chuck and Burn Notice -- it makes for terrific TV.

The scuttlebutt for the new NBC line up has not engendered great confidence from the media. Most of the reaction to clips of the new product we'll be seeing this fall has been underwhelming in fact. Chuck, which showed so much promise in the Writers' strike-abbreviated 2007 season, is clearly an hour that the network is hoping will grow in popularity and ratings.

This order is not only a pat on the back to the actors, writers, directors and producers of the show, it's a sign of confidence and based on what aired, it's deserved. My only complaint with NBC is that they should have been showing Chuck over the summer. The last episodes aired last January. Instead of Celebrity Circus, why not reruns of Chuck?

Yeah, I know, reruns supposedly don't do well in the ratings. However, if new fans are supposed to get into a show like Chuck, NBC should give them a chance to see it. One of the things that's so great about the cable networks -- including NBC Universal channels Bravo and USA -- is that they repeat shows often. They'll run marathons on the weekends to give you a chance to catch up. Hey, that's an idea -- Ben Silverman, Jeff Zucker -- why not give us a Chuck marathon on USA or Bravo before the September 29th premiere?

Monic

Good for Chuck! I hope they do the same for Life!

August 28 2008 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

I don't get it. I can't suspend my disbelief watching this show. It's just too faux-nerd.

But congrats to the actors (which are doing a good job). I guess everybody can now go and buy that new house/car/yacht they want :-)

August 28 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
Karen

"Faux-nerd"? But Zachary Levi and Joshua Gomez (Chuck and Morgan, respectively) are ACTUAL nerds, who often give the writers suggestions and make corrections. So I'm not sure what you're basing that on.

Me, I love this show, and couldn't be happier to hear it's coming back for a full season.

August 28 2008 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seth

I find that strange because didn't it get the back nine before the writers strike and I thought they were gonna make this a full season anyway instead of airing those back nine from the first season. Am I wrong?

August 28 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael 8-)

They're running some repeats on NBC on Saturday nights at 8:00pm. Check your listings...

August 28 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zkam

Fox rebroadcast the entire first season of Terminator over the past few weeks. NBC should have done the same with this show.

August 28 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Awesome. Chuck rocks. What's her name is hot!

August 28 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chadwick hansford's comment
jaerisk

I agree with what that guy said

August 28 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Great news!! I love this show. I, too, wish they'd run a Chuck marathon before the season 2 premiere. I'm off to NBC's website to send them this suggestion via e-mail.

August 28 2008 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

I love Chuck. It's a feel good show and I think they pull off the romantic tension really well. And really dorky.

The thing that annoyed me was their delay of releasing the DVD's in September. I wanted to try to get more peopled hooked on the show before it started. But they're probably trying to bolster viewership/sales by releasing it really close to it's air date?

Eh. still wish I could be watching it.

August 28 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to driftwood's comment
Kirk Staley

I will like to reply to that. Same thing is happening with ABC Family. They're releasing Kyle XY S2 DVD in January, before S3 premieres. And I went to Chuck Panel. The special features will be closed captioned.

August 28 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Good luck to Chuck.

I wish Arrested Development had started/continued on Fox. I like how NBC nurtures it's shows, altho sadly I only really like Heroes (and to an extent The Office).

August 28 2008 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply