September 20, 2014

Project Runway: Fashion that Drives You

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 28th 2008 8:22AM
Project Runway(S05E07) Wow, this season's designers are an emotional little bunch, aren't they? There's a lot of whining, a lot of complaining, a lot of talking behind each others' backs. These kids make me feel like I'm in high school all over again, except everyone is somehow even more poorly dressed and misinformed about aesthetics. The designers also seem increasingly insecure about their own work and this challenge did their fragile states no favors. Charged with the mission to grab materials from cars and make something wearable, you'd probably get a little grumpy too.

Season Three's Laura Bennett stopped by to fill in for Nina Garcia. Yes, one week without Nina! The designers must have been relieved. Rachel Zoe also played guest judge. Follow along by checking out the designs on Bravo's site.

Blayne: Will it ever end? I had my fingers crossed when I saw his model walk out in an outfit holding phantom boobies. Alas, he was a the top of the bottom three and he stayed. Damn. Also, was Heidi right about the broken mirror meaning seven years of no sex? I thought it just meant general bad luck. Perhaps Heidi's idea of bad luck is just no sex.

Jerell: In this episode, Jerell threw out one of a rare quotable comment. "She's got two faces and four patterns." Boom! Burn! Sass! It's lines like that and Terri's out-of-nowhere "I ain't got no babies, ain't nobody sucking on my titties" from a few episodes ago that truly shine. Blayne and Suede's desperate attempts to creating a new "fierce" just look extra-sad in comparison. Anyway, Jerell did a surprisingly good job. I think most of the effect was carried by his solid choices in make-up and hair styling, though.

Joe: Joe really lucked out by having immunity this week. He had the opportunity to get really crazy with such a difficult material, and I felt like he didn't take advantage of this.

Keith: [AUF'D] His outfit was pretty boring, but it didn't deserve sending him home. I think he just sealed his fate by mouthing off on the runway, though. Has he learned nothing? There's no point in mouthing off to the judges. They don't care. When has a designer ever changed the minds of the judges by complaining? Doing so just wastes time that could have been spent pointing out the solid, well-considered parts of one's garment. But I guess Keith was too caught up in his own frustration to think clearly. His clean-up farewell was a bit heartbreaking though, I'll give him that.

Kenley: I really don't care for Kenley. At least she didn't bust out her attitude this week. I applaud her for doing what most designers haven't done, which is customize fabrics/materials with her own images, but the overall silhouette and design wasn't so exciting. I hope that one day Project Runway will get a really amazing illustrator-type who will customize their own materials. Just think, like, James Jean's Prada goods.

Korto: This was a beautiful use of the seatbelt texture. Korto always delivers interesting work. Now, if only we could get her to stop looking like she's about deliver a final death stare all the time, she'd be fine.

Leanne: [WINNER] This was just an all-around great outfit. I can't imagine anyone ever wearing it, but it was definitely a great visual piece and a beautiful use of materials. I especially liked the ruffly seatbelt bits along the top. It was also refreshing to see something without a crazy high collar from Leanne.

Stella: [ALMOST AUF'D] Poor Stella suffered from the same situation as Keith. She tried to stray from her usual style and it almost cost her. I hope she doesn't get discouraged, because blending a hard, metal look with soft femininity is a really tough thing to do. If she manages to pull that off, she'll be an incredibly hot designer.

Suede: I heard him use "Suede" once. God, I we're so close to him kicking that habit, I can feel it. Or maybe that's just my desperation translating to optimism. His creation this week was okay. It was super-shiny, but pretty boring in terms of shape and originality.

Terri: This was pretty interesting. It carried the "hard" look of working with car parts, but it didn't look like it had been ripped out of a Saturn.

Who should have been Auf'd?
Stella22 (10.4%)
Keith109 (51.7%)
Blayne50 (23.7%)
The next person that whines.30 (14.2%)

deebopalula

Keith's outfit was dull, poorly made, weird at the back and his attitude sucked. I applaud Stella for stepping out of her comfort zone but the top did not go with the skirt. Why did Blayne not do something about the fit of his top? He would have been in good shape otherwise.

Overall, with the exception of Keith, the designers performed the best on this challenge. A few outfits - Korto's, Jerrel's and Leanne's in particular - came out really fabulous.

August 29 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I actually applauded when Keith was Auf'd. Soooooo sick of that guy, and his bad attitude. His designs were tired, and he was definitely a "one note."
Next...

August 29 2008 at 3:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

They did this challenge on Project Runway Australia a few weeks ago with a Fiat- the designers on that show are much more genuine and flexible with their style. It's a nice break from this season of PR.

I want to throttle Suede.

August 28 2008 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brin

What's with all the hating on Kenley? I adore her. She's very talented, and not even the barest fraction of annoying as Blayne or Suede. Or Stella or Jerell. In fact the only remaining designer who could be considered less offensive is Leanne.

August 28 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brin's comment
Joel

Kenley seems like a huge beeotch to me.

August 31 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Jerell's outfit was cool and innovative but his model's posture almost ruins the effect. I kept wanting to yell at her, "Stand up straight!" The outfit looked better on the mannequin!

Leanne's outfit was really nice but I think Koto should have won. Like the judges were saying, I wanted to just put Koto's on and wear it right now. If I saw it in a store and it came in my size I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And, yeah, Koto really does needs to adjust that "death stare" type vibe she's giving off - especially in front of the judges. I know coming in second with such a great outfit is disappointing but even when she won she had that same sort of stare, and pretty much all the rest of the time too. Cheer up 'jirl.'

This was a really good challenge, IMO, even with the blatant product placement. Gheeeze. Think how much more interesting it would have been if there had been different brands of cars and not just all Saturns which brings me to my next point. I fear that if this challenge is used again it will become like the supermarket challenge - just substitute seatbelts for tablecloths. Everybody will go for the seatbelts because they are the "easiest" thing to manipulate into something wearable. I'm actually surprised Tim, or the judges, didn't say something to the designers about it when so many of them were using them. I'll bet Nina would have said something.

August 28 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Keith had it coming for a long time, just as Daniel did. Both of them were at the bottom of the talent pool. I think next to go will be Suede.

August 28 2008 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cara

If I have to hear Suede use the word "wacki-doodle" one more time, I might snap. And someone tell him we don't want to hear about his dead relatives or their visits to him.

August 28 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

Yeah, I could care less about Keith. He said so many selfish and bitchy comments in the episode, I was relieved when he was eliminated. His attitude was awful.

I am really rooting for Jerrell. Even though everyone has their insecurity on the show, he seems to be a little more sincere.

I, personally, was counting the times Suede said "whackadoodle." That seems to be a favorite word of his. I like Suede though.

Kenley annoys me more than Blayne does.

August 28 2008 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply