September 20, 2014

The Daily Show: August 29, 2008 - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 30th 2008 12:24PM
Anderson Cooper and TDS
"The Heart of Hopeness": Barack Obama delivered his acceptance speech the other night, to a stadium full of insanely excited Democrats. John Oliver filed a report live from the site of Obama's speech. Man, John has really been putting himself on the line this week, being incredibly annoying in front of so many overexcited people. I mean, chanting "Osama!" at a massive crowd of Obama lovers is almost a sure to bring about a beating, but he totally lucked out with some relatively mild verbal confrontation. Other great moments included dancing to Jeremiah Wright's "white friends" song and making his move on hot strangers. As we would see later in the episode, it seems like the Democratic National Convention brought out the friskiness in the correspondents.

The other big news came from the other camp. John McCain announced his running mate and VP candidate, a woman by the name of Sarah Palin. She may look like Tina Fey, Megan Mullally and a naughty librarian, but, as one of my friends pointed out, she's also a dead ringer for Peggy Hill. Palin's been Alaska's governor for 20 months. Yup. But I won't get into it. That's Senior Female & Women's Issues Correspondent Samantha Bee's job. Unfortunately, she had played into the very idea of having a female in office. Damn that Vagina-American pride!

"The Best Fucking News Team Ever": In lieu of an interview, we got a face full of this awesomeness. Again, for the most part, the current correspondents team works best when they're teamed up, so this was a real treat. Seeing the correspondents be the bad boys of the media was hysterical, from picking on tiny little Anderson Cooper and making Jim Lehrer uncomfortable, it was all good. John Oliver's attempts to infiltrate the BBC was also amazing. "My voice is my credential. Listen to this... Al-you-minium." Plus, I think this is the first time we've seen Samantha Bee and Jason Jones suck face onscreen.

Moment of Zen: Democratic Tailgating. Jason Jones got even more sugar, this time from his non-wife. What a player. Actually, the only way that could have been better is if Samantha Bee was still sitting on his shoulders while that happened.

StillBash

I'd love to know what they said in the moment of Zen...

"So that's the CNN **** bus?"

What could that have been? Did it maybe start with a b?

This episode was extreme. So many good bits I started snorting while laughing *grin*

Aluminium *snicker* Priceless.

August 31 2008 at 6:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
YouFaceTheTick

He said "CNN F^cktruck". We tivo TDS and rewatched this episode.

August 31 2008 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

That was a crazy good episode.

August 31 2008 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Oh man, you're dead right about Peggy Hill. That's just scary. Quick, someone, check how big Palin's feet are!

August 30 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tozmervo

I'm going to take arugula to my next tailgate and see what happens.

Best TDS of the convention.

August 30 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
osumarko

I love the kid who Jason and Rob talked too about the bill that Obama introduced. He looked scared when Rob came over like he was gonna get beaten up.

August 30 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Wait I'm confused, why would Obama supporters mind someone chanting Osama? Wouldn't they just join in? Help with the flag burning and all?

If you want to enrage them start chanting George w. Bush or tax cuts or Jesus...

August 30 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richie

Great episode, although I kept waiting for the genuinely liberal Jon to come out and say something about the speech, because it was really damn good and usually he'll make a small serious comment about these kind of things. I think a while back after showing a clip of Obama speaking, Jon said something like, "And let it be known that on this day, a politician treated us like we were adults." It was nice.

August 30 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Was this the first DS ever without a guest?
I wish I knew how much the media buys into the reports where the correspondents just mess with them and how much it takes them by surprise. Some of those people were pissed.

August 30 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply