July 31, 2014

Palin comparison ... GOP VP choice looks like a bunch of TV characters

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 1st 2008 5:25PM
Sarah PLast Friday, Senator John McCain shocked the world by announcing that little-known Alaska Governor Sarah Palin was his choice as vice presidential candidate for the Republican party. If you were like me, you couldn't help but notice that Sarah Palin -- a very attractive, 44-year-old mother of five -- looked an awful lot like some familiar TV faces, like 30 Rock's Liz Lemon.

In fact, at least one Hollywood writer recognized in Sarah Palin's being plucked from virtual obscurity was like one of his creations. Rod Lurie, the writer/producer of Commander in Chief, joked that he and Gena Davis should be asking for royalties if Palin emerges as McCain's VEEP, especially if she becomes president like Davis's character did on that ABC drama series.

Here are the main TV characters that come to mind when you think about Palin:

Liz Lemon, 30 Rock
On first glance, a lot of people thought McCain had chosen Tina Fey as his running mate. Really, look fast. Of course, Tina's politics are a little more left than McCain, but her 30 Rock character is another story. She could be lured to the dark side, especially with Jack Donaghy egging her on. The main difference between Liz and Sarah, though, is the kiddie situation. Liz can't keep a plant alive, never mind a baby. Palin, by comparison, is not just a hockey mom. She's just revealed that she's now soon to be a grandmother; her 17-year-old daughter is preggers.

Maggie O'Connell, Northern Exposure
Okay, imagine Palin with a short, pixie cut and she's a dead ringer for Maggie O'Connell, Janine Turner's character on Northern Exposure. It's that whole Alaska vibe, the self-reliant woman, the no-nonsense style. On Northern Exposure, Maggie was a pilot, a landlady and eventually became the mayor of Cicely, a city not much smaller that Wasilla, Palin's town when she was a mayor. If Northern Exposure were still on the air, Maggie would be the governor!

Julia and Suzanne Sugarbaker, Designing Women
Politically, Julia Sugarbaker was a lefty. The complete antithesis of Sarah Palin on a plethora of issues, which was a reflection of actress Dixie Carter as well as the creators of Designing Women, Linda Bloodworth Thomason and her husband Harry Thomason. They latter two were -- and still are -- tight with the Clintons. They put together the Hillary Clinton biography shown at last week's Democratic National Convention. On the other hand, Delta Burke's character, Julia's sister Suzanne, could be a Palin twin. Both are beauty queens and love firearms. Suzanne actually wound up in Congress in a Designing Women spinoff called Women of the House. So blend the two Sugarbakers into one and you have a liberal Sarah Palin.

Karen Walker, Will & Grace
Megan Mullally's character on Will & Grace was not very political; she was too busy drinking, having sex, spending money and popping pills. Still, something about her look is present in Ms. Palin. And with all the rumors swirling about Palin's personal life -- the investigation into the firing of the state trooper and the possible misuse of power -- sounds like Karen's antics. Hmm...do you think Palin's has a Spanish maid?

Laura Roslin, Battlestar Galactica
Well, she was the president on Battlestar Galactica. Mary McDonnell's chief executive has the hair, the glasses, the stature, just like Sarah Palin. Hopefully, Palin won't ever face the tough, life and death wartime challenges President Roslin faces on BSG.

Mackenzie Allen, Commander in Chief
Rod Lurie was right about this one. Gena Davis's character on Commander in Chief is more than a little similar to Sarah Palin. Allen rose to office as an unlikely choice for the VEEP role by Teddy Bridges. The series opened with the president dying of a cerebral aneurysm and his VP taking over. She's consider unqualified -- like many are saying about Palin -- because she's only been president of a college. The Speaker of the House, Nathan Templeton, played by Donald Sutherland, spent much of the series trying to convince her to resign from office because she was never supposed to be anything other than a stunt to win votes. Much like Palin is, if you believe the pundits who claim she was chosen to lure disaffected Hillary Clinton voters to the Republican choice.

Mindy

I am SO with Pat - I can't even watch Big Love without making the Goodwin/Palin connection! I think this photo may make the point clearer:

Just swap the sunglasses for Palin's "schoolmarm" specs...

September 16 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Ginnifer Goodwin, Margene from Big Love is Sarah Palin.

September 13 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pat's comment
Mindy

I'm with you, Pat. I've been saying this for weeks - my husband disagrees. I added a comment with photo - I see it so clearly!

September 16 2008 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Ginnifer Goodwin - Marge of HBO's Big Love looks exactly her!!! I can't believe no one else can see it. Pat

September 13 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacqueline Harrington

Where's Hank and Ladybird?

September 05 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

am i the only one who thought immediately of Lorraine Braco?

September 02 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

She's smart, tough and got the hot for teacher look. Go Palin go!

September 02 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex K.

I think she looks like Elaine from "Seinfeld".

September 02 2008 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orimental

I think it's hilarious that more people don't realize the similarities between Palin and Peggy Hill. More importantly, John McCain bears a resemblance to Cotton Hill.

September 02 2008 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meghan

For the doubters on the Roslin/Mary McDonnell resemblence, check out this comparision:

September 02 2008 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Smith

I've checked out the choices on here so far and there is three that I can agree on so far. Liz Lemon (dead ringer; maybe they'll do something about it on the show IF she gets in; I don't know if there is time for a quick rewrite before Election Day.); Karen Walker (Megan Mullally has really got her smile); and Elizabeth Lochley (Tracy Scoggins is normally made to look like this, but would buy the selection of this character). I would have to see Mary McDonnell in a similar hairstyle (or vica-versa) before I could decide on her. The others I just don't buy.

Now for something that is on the border of ON SUBJECT (you brought up Tina Fey), it looks to me like an SNL curse will be broken. I talking about the curse of a presidental candidate (not impersonators) appearing on SNL BEFORE THEY WERE ELECTED (check the exact wording; I'm not talking AFTER ELECTED) which started with Gerald Ford (remember; he was not ELECTED) and kept going with the likes of Ralph Nader, George McGovern, etc. Both candidates appeared on SNL this year, so unless the person who get voted in this year is NONE OF THE ABOVE, the curse is over. So it seems to me the one that has the advantage is Obama, because he was on there the least amount of minutes (the curse will try for every second it can get). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just a thought.

September 01 2008 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Danny Smith's comment
The Pepto Pimp

Danny, I didn't even know SNL was still on the air, let alone know that they'd both hosted.

Are you Danny Smith from Family Guy, Yes, Dear and 3rd Rock? If so, great work.

September 03 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply