September 2, 2014

Fans unite to save Swingtown

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 2nd 2008 4:20PM
bar swingtownThis Friday CBS will air the last episode of Swingtown, but the question of the future for the show still remains unanswered. Is this the series finale or just the season finale? Fans are concerned and I've been contacted by one who has started a petition online to present to CBS, beseeching the network to give Swingtown a second season. If you want to sign up, click here.

I've been reviewing Swingtown since it premiered earlier this summer and I've liked the show. In fact, it's grown on me and if I were in a position to make the call, I'd give Swingtown an order for 13 more episodes. Yes, the series has not been a ratings hit, I'll give you that. However, it has created a lot of buzz and media coverage.

To me, Swingtown is the kind of show that given time could develop a strong following. It's worth noting that not every hit show is a hit out of the gate. Seinfeld was nearly canceled in the first season. The Office had terrible reviews and was looking like a pale imitation of the BBC version. If you want an example of a primetime drama, rather than a sitcom, Dynasty didn't take off till Joan Collins showed up.

These Swingtown fans aren't asking for blood, peanuts or trees like the Moonlight, Jericho and October Road folks, respectively. I don't know what would tie in with Swingtown... Any suggestions, or do you think signatures on a petition will do?

One final thought, CBS president Nina Tassler has championed Swingtown from the start. She seems to be fighting for the show, and recently, there's been some talk that the network is looking for a home for Swingtown on cable. I hope it stays on CBS, but cable might be a better outlet for Swingtown. The rating's expectations wouldn't be as high and the censorship wouldn't be as tough.

Wendy

Each fan should mail CBS a pair of handcuffs or a martini glass (the fridge magnet kind). :-)

November 03 2008 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tinacrook

I just dont understand why so many people hate this show?? Yes I agree it was slow to start, but after about the 2 or 3 episode it was terrific! I so hope they dont cancel it and at least give it one more season. And for all those haters out there, my bet is you havent even watched the show. You judge it based simpley on how it was advertised in the beginning, how "racy" it was hyped up to be....but in reality it isnt at ALL as racy as they made it out to be. But then again this is CBS so just how *racy* did anyone expect it to be lol? Its about alot more than sex and swinging....those of us that love this show love the characters, the families and the story lines and want to see how this chapter in their lives ends.....and hopefully it doesnt end with just one season!

BTW....who in the HELL cast that girl to play lori??????I cannot STAND HER! She's way too damn skinny and has a TERRIBLE bite to her mouth! Ugh.....

September 14 2008 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dnique729

Just don't go to ACE Hardware! They ran with their tail tucked firmly between their legs when the American Decency Association got a hold of them. The ADA is a dictatorship run by religious compound-like zealots wanting to change the amendment and pass certain bills which do not bode well to freedom in America. A very, very scary organization. Their proclamations on behalf of God are appalling. There is NO decency when it comes to intolerance.

Swingtown is a great show that does not insult the intelligence of viewers. It's not mindless like fake reality shows. It actually makes you aware just how important communication truly is. Something disposable by today's standards.

September 09 2008 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mak

The problem is that they can't get a sponsor for the show. all of the ads have been pulled by every major advertiser. the only ads shown now are network related. I know my company pulled after we were bombarded with over 30,000 emails to the CEO from an organization called the american family association...jerks!

September 09 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Save Swingtown

Hi, all come on over and help us in the efforts to save Swingtown starting Monday we are shipping out key chains

September 07 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rrtthatsme

BACK to the ORIGINAL question. If we are looking for something to send to the network and demonstrate support for SWINGTOWN...I suggest KEYS. They are easy and cheap to send, and everyone has a couple of old keys around. And, if you have privacy concerns, just run to the hardward store and pick up a few blanks. Keys are a great symbol for the show, and swingers in general.

September 06 2008 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rrtthatsme's comment
rrtthatsme

Send Keys to
Nina Tassler
CBS Entertainment President
7800 Beverly Blvd.,
Los Angeles CA 90036

September 06 2008 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I love Swingtown.

This post inspired me to create a blog just about the latest updates to whether Swingtown will be renewed and where!

September 06 2008 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary S

I wonder why some people naturally assume that all negative feedback is from a fan of Moonlight?

I saw enough of Swingtown to last me a lifetime. It's just plain awful. Having lived through the 70's I have no desire to revisit it again.

September 04 2008 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
auriana

Are you kidding me?! This show was awful when it began and just got worse as it went on. CBS does need to get out of the CSI rut but please, not by keeping this on the air.

September 03 2008 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rechercher

Also the only prime-time CBS viewing at our HUT. Based on the first few episodes, we had low-to-no expectations for this show (frankly, thought it would be off by now)--and it's still not *great* television--but it is pretty good, and we are invested enough in the characters to wonder what might happen in a second season.

September 03 2008 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply