September 21, 2014

90210 premiere makes record ratings

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 3rd 2008 7:02PM
90210Whatever the critics say, 90210 did score a ratings win for the CW. It was the highest-rated scripted series premiere in the network's two year history.

It didn't do overwhelming numbers for a network show (it was watched by 4.9 million viewers and had a 2.6 ratings among adults 18 to 40), but it is better than the CW has done before. If the show can continue to do well in the ratings, the CW may actually cancel that "going out of business" sale.

I have to agree with Joel's analysis about the reasoning behind not sending the screeners to critics: it wasn't made for them. Bad reviews from the myriad of old male critics would have only hurt the ratings. Gossip Girl also got a boost in the ratings, so don't count the CW out of the race yet. Now I'm waiting to see if the major changes on Smallville pay off.

VC

I never watched the original 90210. A show about a bunch of rich White kids just never appealed to me. However, I accidently tuned in to the new 90210 (I was doing something so the show started before I had a chance to change the channel). I was immediately hooked and couldn't stop laughing for the next 2 hrs. I thought the show was a real hoot. However, I'm not sure about the addition of Shannen Doherty. Jennie Garth is okay. But, Lori Loughlin's part could have gone to a prettier actress. The jury is still out on the Black kid being adopted by a White family. It makes it seem like the only way a Black kid could live in 90210 is to be adopted by rich White people because he couldn't naturally be born into a family that could afford such an affluent address. Still, I'll keep watching to see how the writers handle the story.

September 11 2008 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Lets hope the viewers stay so we don't lose another show to a useless Singing or dancing show.

September 04 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Only would The CW think that less than 5 million viewers would be a huge hit. Even NBC has higher standards than that.

September 03 2008 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
ac

Give NBC a few years and they will.

September 03 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

Maybe the reason for the good numbers was the resurretion of corby from gostfacers!!! will he be a standard of gay love in these show too??? :) lol.

September 03 2008 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to nattyff's comment
Derek

What's a "corby" and or "gostfacer"? Good post, but inquiring minds want to know.

90210 blows, but everyone was tuning in 'coz curiosity is powerful stuff. And Hawtness.

September 03 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christina

Derek-
I didn't watch the 90210 premiere, but "Corby" is Corbett from Supernatural's episode "Ghostfacers." He proved that gay love could pierce through the veil and save the day.

Deep stuff, man, deep stuff.

September 04 2008 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply