April 23, 2014

Michael finds poor rapport with tone of Prison Break

by Jason Hughes, posted Sep 3rd 2008 8:20AM
Prison Break
Don't get me wrong. I like Michael Rappaport. I've seen him in dramatic and comedic roles and he's equally impressive in both, but something just didn't work at all every moment he was on screen in Monday night's season premiere of Prison Break. Maybe it's because everyone from Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell to William Fichtner and even Robert Knepper talks in this sort of subdued menacing whisper. And then here comes Rappaport all filled with bluster and his thick New York accent and that quarter smile that's always on his face.

I don't know what it was, but every time he spoke it pulled me right out of the fiction. I know Prison Break isn't anywhere close to Shakespearean in quality or writing, but one thing it's always had going for it is the quality of the cast and their performances, making you believe all the ridiculous things that happen.

You find yourself completely accepting that it wasn't Sarah's head last season and that Bellick actually serves a purpose on this task force. No matter how ridiculous, you just roll right along, grab some more popcorn and enjoy the ride. But I just can't immerse myself in Rappaport's performance. I hope he finds the groove of the show soon or I'm going to have to write letters to NBC to make his enjoyable role on My Name is Earl a regular one just to pull him from this show the way Patricia Wettig was yanked after season one for Brothers & Sisters.

Will

Did I miss something? Weren't Sucre, Bellock & T-Bag still locked up at the end of last season? Was there some explanation I missed while trying to suspend my disbelief.

And for the record Rapport was an odd choice for this role. But hey I'm glad he is getting work.

September 03 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will's comment
CRVBOY

It was explained to Michael by Lincoln that Sona "burned down" in a prisoner riot at some point during the three weeks between the end of last season and the start of this season.

September 04 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

I was surprised to see him after he got eaten by that shark in Deep Blue Sea. But I guess if they can bring back Sarah after being beheaded without any ill effects, a small thing like being shark food would be nothing!

September 03 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I have no idea how he keeps getting work. Every role is the same schtick. I have never seen him display any amount of subtlety or even inflection in his voice.

Seriously, it always seems he is just reading/yelling his lines with no consideration of the context of the scene or the performances of the other actors.

September 03 2008 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

As soon as he started talking I was thinking "why is he acting like he's reading these lines for the first time?"

Michael Rappaport can't hide himself in his characters, so when he's doing something like an FBI agent it comes across incredibly phony.

September 03 2008 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I don't know, I'm not sure how well he fits here, but I think he's fine. This is Prison Break, its not like we are expecting much.

September 03 2008 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply