October 25, 2014

Anthony Edwards returning to ER (!)

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 4th 2008 2:24PM
Anthony EdwardsRemember a while back when we talked about this being the last season of ER and producers were trying to get old cast members to come back for an episode of the show and we joked that they should find a way to get Anthony Edwards back on the show for an episode even though his character died?

The producers have Anthony Edwards coming back to the show for an episode even though his character died.

You can probably guess how Dr. Mark Greene will be coming back. He hasn't been kept alive by some mysterious millionaire in a mountain hideout all these years (though I would happily swallow such a soap opera-ish plot because I never thought they should have killed off Mark in the first place), the character will actually be seen in new flashbacks that have something to do with a new character played by Angela Bassett (this won't be footage from past episodes, they're new flashbacks to events we didn't see on the show before).

That's all well and good, but a big part of me wants to see Mark as a ghost. I know, I know, that's cheesy and it's been done a gazillion times, but at least as a ghost he could interact in the present time with characters, maybe even Noah Wyle when he returns for four episodes this season. Wouldn't it be great to see Wyle (or Julianna Marguiles or George Clooney or Eric LaSalle or Sherry Stringfield) come back to the show, have a crisis, and be guided by Mark's ghost, so they could actually interact again? Either way, I'll be watching this season.

The episode airs on November 13.

Maria

Ha! I like the foul play idea--and I really think we should spoof it, and bring 'em ALL back--every single dead cast member--and USE THE SAME STORY OF FOUL PLAY for all of them...Romano, Lucy, Gallant, and even "the one who left us tonight"...ALL of 'em!! Make it transparently unbelievable and it just might work. Sort of like, "hey, we know it's hokey and we don't care." This season should be for those of us die hards who stuck with it for 15 years, and we're willing to make believe if we have to. And I also think they should give Barnett his legs back when he returns. So there. (All right, all right--I guess I'm just excited after watching the premiere....)

September 26 2008 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

They just picked up on the Zombie Season idea of the "Lost" producers.

Also expect to see a shark on the show named Ezra.

Seriously, I cried like a baby during the show where he died and this is just morbid.

September 06 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

I am still hoping for Zombie Green.

September 04 2008 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

I really like Tom's suggestion. It would even explain why Mark looks older, because Carter has aged him in his mind. Plus, it'd have added pathos if Mark interacts with someone who knew him, a someone we already know!

September 04 2008 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Even Yet Another Option --

They could do an episode where Carter, having returned to County, finds himself 'a stranger in a strange land' -- old friends long gone, new ones he's unfamiliar with.

He could find comfort in a subconcious representation of Doctor Greene who offers encouragement, anecdotes, memories, etc. in order for Carter to get back up to speed.

That way you escape the potential cheesiness of the 'ghost angle' while still have Mark wandering around (visible only to Carter) in present day.

September 04 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

You are forgetting the other option.

We didn't really see him die. Foul play is now suspected.

Yes, they will need to exhume and re-autopsy Dr Green!

But something goes horrible wrong!

"Next on an extra very super special Halloween ER..."

September 04 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply