July 28, 2014

Good thing 90210 is saving The CW, because Top Model sure isn't

by Kona Gallagher, posted Sep 4th 2008 5:21PM
antmI feel as though I've done nothing the entire week except watch The CW. When I close my eyes, I just see images of highlights, dangerously low BMIs and huge, blinding teeth. Apparently, I'm not alone. When Gossip Girl's second season premiered on Monday night, it grabbed record ratings for the show that, up until then, has never been quite popular enough to live up to its buzz. On Wednesday night, even more people tuned into the premiere of 90210, which garnered huge ratings for The CW, with 4.9 million viewers. It seemed as though people were finally flocking to the fledgling network. However, Wednesday's premiere of America's Next Top Model didn't exactly keep the streak alive.

Top Model, which began its 11th cycle, but not, as Tyra said, it's "second decade," didn't have viewers glued to their TVs. The two-hour premiere only nabbed 3.5 million viewers, with 1.7 million of those in the coveted 18-49 demographic. This is down 11% from cycle 10, which premiered in February of this year, and down 32% from last September's cycle 9.

This marks the lowest premiere ever for what is usually the CW's highest-rated show. The poor ratings could be attributed to a couple of things: the fact that Gossip Girl and 90210 both received heavy advertising, or even the fact that the second hour of Top Model was up against a new episode of Project Runway. However, I think the answer is much simpler: nobody cares.

Since its debut in 2003, Top Model has run two cycles a year. I've watched nearly all of them, and I can barely tell these girls apart anymore. They all seem to have the same hair, issues and attitudes, all of which are just ... tired. Watching this show must be like watching The Bachelor; it's difficult to care when you already know how it's going to turn out. Even though someone gets a final rose and maybe even a ring, you know they're going to break up. With Top Model, you know that at best the winner is going to become America's Next Top Macy's Catalog Model. When the stakes are low, the interest wanes.

This year is critical for the CW. If they don't find the formula for ratings success, they may not have another year to search for it. Right now, they're banking on rich skinny girls. Luckily for them, it's working so far. Hopefully it continues to, because it doesn't seem as though their old warhorse is going to give them much help.

Susan

I don't agree with any of you. I think the show is enjoyable and I loved the futuristic approach. If you don't like it, don't watch it!

September 06 2008 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherri

Uhm isn't supernatural a decent hit show for the CW....I know I love it...and I like Gossip girl too....didn't catch 90210 but plan to.....and I don't what tyra shows because she gets on my nerves...no offence just my opinion.

September 05 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

This cycle's premiere was particularly awkward and embarrassing, what with all that Tyrabot crap. The Jays were clearly embarrassed -- just not quite embarrassed enough to refuse to participate. I imagine that working with Tyra Banks must be sort of like a real-life version of "The Emperor's New Clothes", except that Tyra has unbreakable faith in her own illusions.

Meanwhile, some of the international versions of Top Model have eclipsed the original. Australia's Next Top Model leaves Tyra's idiocy in the dust.

September 05 2008 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I have to agree, I wish Tyra really was leaving the show - not because I don't like her but because some fresh blood choosing girls might be a good thing. It's like everyone fits into their little cast mold. There is the "Villian" there is the "weirdo", the "Tootie" and so on. The show has become a parody of itself and they really have to inject something new and interesting into the mix.

September 05 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

If the CW Drops 90210 and keeps garbage like Next Top Model they might as well fold as a network!

September 04 2008 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I watched all previous cycles, untill this one. I couldnt stomach another set of these girls, and worse Tyra. Ever since i figured out the show was rigged by her.

September 04 2008 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Grey

You're joking, right? You've watched nearly 10 seasons of America's Next Top Model. I thought that was more than the safe limit. I was pretty sure I read in my biology class that if someone watches that much Tyra, they're body will forcibly blind itself. Come on. You were joking, right?

Right?