April 23, 2014

Palin speech nearly equals Obama's -- in ratings

by Allison Waldman, posted Sep 4th 2008 7:01PM
Palin speechThe Republicans have been crying foul about how the media has been unfairly going after vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin. Right or wrong, all that media attention, plus the curiosity about who this little known Alaska governor is, fueled last night's broadcast of her acceptance speech. The results were predictable. The Palin speech was a Nielsen ratings hit, drawing 37.2 million viewers. That's nearly as many viewers as Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama scored a week ago at his Denver stadium event.

As I said, the big number was hardly a surprise, especially if you are at all media savvy. On the net, the name Sarah Palin has become the top draw on every search engine. She's presently a bigger celebrity -- yes, sorry, but that's the word that fits -- than Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, Madonna or Barack Obama. She's on the cover of every supermarket magazine this week, as well as the news magazines.

What's really interesting now is to see if the top of the ticket, Senator John McCain, can draw as many viewers as his running mate or his opponent. Tonight marks the end of the Republican National Convention and after his speech, the official final sprint to the election. My bet is that while many people will tune in, McCain will have a hard time surpassing the 37 million threshold. He's simply too well known and familiar. Both Palin and Obama benefitted from being perceived as new and fresh.

joyce

I have to say I do not want 4 more years of Bush! And I am voting for McCain / Palin! That is the change we need to turn this mess around! Strong woman and a man we can all trush with the red button! I will sleep at peace when they are in the white house!

Go Sarah GO

Casper

October 06 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

Hey VP - maybe if you didn't get all your news from a snarky fake tv news show then you'd know that she negotiated contracts with both Russian and Canada for oil pipelines that bring the united states 20 percent of it's energy. That is foreign policy experience. What has Obama done? Other then promise a divided Jerusalem and tell us that he will talk to the Holocaust denier Iranian PM with out any pre conditions.

September 05 2008 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Sara Palin must have a lot of liberals scared. I think it's funny as hell.

September 05 2008 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

I thought I was tuning in to a new episode of 30 Rock. oh well!

September 05 2008 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

"So what are they saying with their slogans of change, country first, and service? That they didn't do that before or that their party was the problem to begin with?"

LOL!

September 05 2008 at 6:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

I researched her background, voting record, political experience and beliefs before she gave her speech. That's what reflects who somebody really is and what they stand for - not some professionally written speech delivered to the raucous support of adoring supporters. As a result of my research, I chose to not watch the speech and instead, I scared myself silly picturing this scenario: McCain gets elected; McCain drops dead of a heart attack; America has a new president named Sarah Palin. Heaven help us.

September 05 2008 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Who knew there were so many socialists reading TV Squad?

September 05 2008 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Change what? 08 Republicans have latched onto that it seems but last I checked they've been in control the past 8 years now executive and 12 yrs legislative prior to the 06 elections. So what are they saying with their slogans of change, country first, and service? That they didn't do that before or that their party was the problem to begin with? Why did the R's put this country second? That they didn't serve?

6 billion + people on this planet and all I saw from this is me, me, me screw everyone else and be afraid. Too bad the moderates and real conservatives have to stomach these 2 who will bow down to the moral rightest that push them to get elected and drive this country further down the hole just for their mythical rapture to come. Funny God created this planet so why are they in such a hurry to get off of it? Seriously the clear minded people of this planet need to round up the zealots of all strains and stick them in one area then just nuke them. Then maybe this world can advance and be what the creator wanted it to be. Consider them a cancer on this world and treat them as such with agressive chemotherapy to purge the body of what is trying to kill it overall.

September 05 2008 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

I think her speech rocked! I have been so turned off by this whole election. But Palin has gotten me pumped & ready to vote! I believe in change & she is the one who will usher it in.

September 05 2008 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Crystal's comment
Viv

What change is she going to usher in? She doesn't even know what a VP does!!! It's like the idiots at the GOP saying she has foreign policy experience because she is close to Russia.

To paraphrase John Stewart does she close relations with Santa Clause too??

September 05 2008 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

I wish Cynthia McKinney really had a chance.

September 04 2008 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply