October 31, 2014

Sci Fi has their most watched summer ever

by Brett Love, posted Sep 4th 2008 9:03AM

Colin Ferguson - EurekaNBC Universal has issued a press release touting the successes of the Sci Fi Channel over the summer. According to the numbers, the lineup of original programming led to the most watched summer the network has ever enjoyed. Among the highlights are Eureka, with 3.4 million viewers, which is the best performance for the show since it premiered in 2006. Ghost Hunters International checked in with 2.4 million. Scare Tactics and the Saturday original movies both impressed with averages of 2 million viewers.

That's good news, but the more interesting bit might be two shows that are missing from the list. In a PR age where any show can have its numbers spun in a positive way, even if it means being the number one show on Wednesday nights among diabetic albinos with anger management issues, there is always a way to spin it. Yet, there is oddly no mention of either Stargate Atlantis or The ECW in this release. Curious. I suspect Atlantis was left out so as not to fan the flames of the cancellation controversy. Why hand your most ardent critics ammunition? The ECW? I take that as a nod that everyone, even those at the network, realizes just how ridiculous it is to program that show on that channel.

[via Morjana]

Wayne

Most of the shows on SciFi are generic and cliche ridden in my view. The only real "viewing" they get from me (with the exception of a few episodes of Eureka) would be Twilight Zone or Star Trek TNG reruns. What galls me is ECW and that crap SCARE TACTICS - SPARE ME!

September 05 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xboxbydegrees

What about Ghost Hunters? It is a lot better than GHI.

September 05 2008 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

SGA and Battlestar are the only thing I watch on SciFi. As soon as that ends I'll probably stop watching that network. I may or may not give Stargate Universe a try, I'm pretty upset at SciFi so I'm willing to ignore another spinoff for it.

September 05 2008 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I love Eureka so this is fantastic news. I'm your typical SciFi watcher but I like shows like Northern Exposure and Gilmore Girls... meaning I love quirky town shows with lots of odd characters that's got alot of humor to them. So thankfully when TVS kept telling me how good Eureka was, I watched it. :)

September 04 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I watch Sci-Fi Channel more because I now receive it in HD on DirecTV.

September 04 2008 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

The Middleman is shit. Sorry for the language, but there is no other word to describe the ridiculously low level of quality. It is embarrassingly bad for ABC Family, and it would be even worse on Scifi.

Eureka news is good, I guess. The show's last two seasons are so much worse than the first stellar season.

September 04 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Joey Geraci's comment
Morjana Coffman

Just for info, the ratings for Stargate Atlantis' season five on the SciFi Channel, through 'The Shrine.':

Search and Rescue - 1.7 (2.4 Million viewers)
The Seed - 1.5 (2.1 Million viewers)
Broken Ties - 1.6 (2.1 Million viewers)
The Daedalus Variations - 1.6 (2.2 Million viewers)
Ghost in the Machine - 1.5 (1.9 Million viewers)

*All above are Live + 7*

The Shrine - 1.2 HH rating for Live + Same day.

September 04 2008 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

Maybe they can use some of that success and confidence to find something that would pair really well with Eureka. Something like... The Middleman?

September 04 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric J.'s comment
nattyff

That's such a good idea!!! i love the show and i really don't whant to see it cancelled.

September 05 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

First, thank you for the link! Woo-hoo!

Secondly...I was also curious as to why no mention of Stargate Atlantis. SGA's ratings are UP this year compared to last season.

I would hope by this time the SciFi Channel is sufficiently embarrassed they have ECW on their channel.

September 04 2008 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply