April 23, 2014

24 is stopping the clock for a little while

by Brad Trechak, posted Sep 6th 2008 3:01PM
24Fox's 24 is taking a break from filming so producers can rethink the storylines for the upcoming season. The two-hour special for November is still in the can and shouldn't be affected by this.

This could be an example of analysis paralysis. Due to the writers' strike, the show was not broadcast at all last season. They had a year's break to think it through. They're having second thoughts about the storyline this late in the game? Considering the wait that fans have already had to go through (though no fault of the producers), this better be a kick-ass season.

Of course, the show isn't being broadcast until January and they already have plenty of material ready that wasn't broadcast due to the aforementioned strike. There is ample time to make whatever changes they need and have it ready for broadcast.

I do wonder what sort of enemy Jack Bauer will be fighting in the next season. I'm hoping for Cobra Commander from the upcoming G.I. Joe movie.

Jennifer

I am very sick of 24. I don't like how the show has a fabulous first 4 hours, then it becomes a slog, has the occasional good moment, then it goes back to slog, then they end it with a kaboom. (And it's not a show you can miss a moment of if you want to understand anything later, either. I missed the first half hour of a show once and was lost.)

So, I say, YAY FOR THINKING THE SHOW OUT AHEAD OF TIME here. 24 really needs to be one of those shows that preplots their arcs all season, and so far it hasn't done that.

September 08 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Walker

I hope they have Jack Bauer uncover a sinister Canadian terrorist plot to import nationalized health care.

September 08 2008 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Season 7 has the potential to be the best season yet. They were already looking to make a brilliant season after the disappointing sixth season, now they're taking time out to get a complete season of excellent television, as opposed to a good season with some terrible hours. Also, I hear they're bringing Kim back for the last 6 hours or so, so this production pause will probably allow them to do just that!

September 08 2008 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I have always watched 24, although seasons 5 and 6 were only so-so. It really has to do with all the new people that get added to the cast each season (most of which I didn't like.) I will watch season 7, but if I see a bunch of people/characters I don't like, I will say good-bye to 24.

September 07 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty L. Sayers

I have obcessively been waiting on the new season & the movie. Is it not written already? Being one of the most popular shows on TV, with all the great writers, what is the problem with the schedule? Also, several months ago I found a clip about the new season. Couldn't believe what I saw. Tony Almetta is back (from the dead?). And boy is he back - for Jack, with a vengence!!! Has anyone else seen this? He is bald & he is BAD.

September 07 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Jack becomes Rusty Ventures new bodyguard for a day.

September 07 2008 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I'm glad they're taking a step-back to think the show through, but it's a little disappointing considering they promised us they wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the previous day/days, and it sounds like this has started to happen again. Do you remember how bodged-on the last few hours felt of Day 6? I hope they're not falling into the same trap again.
But again, I'm glad they're taking stock of this now, rather than when the first 10 eps have aired, and as long as the quality is above Day 6 I'll enjoy the ride.

September 06 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Ah, those 24 producers. What pranksters. They know what they're doing. This "shutdown" has to do with a potential SAG strike. Here's the deal: They've got about 18 of the 24 episodes for next season in the can. It's believed that SAG will likely go out on strike in late September or early October, after the Emmys. Rather than try to rush filming the last six episodes, they're going to wait and see what happens. No strike, they comeback in October and finish filming. If there's a strike, they'll be okay unless it stretches past next March.

September 06 2008 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLJ

I think they have really pushed the 24 hours time-line for the last few seasons. How many times can lightening strike the same place? With the title of the showing being "24", I would like to see something clever like a 24 day plot, 24 hours over various days, or something similar. I think that could be very cool.

September 06 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

The folks over at 24 have a really tall order to fill... Come back after an 18-month hiatus with a plot that will help fans forget Season 6. I'm not surprised they're rethinking their story at this point, since it really has to be absolutely top-notch. Plus, since they will likely have produced the entire season before the first hour is aired in January, they won't be able to leverage viewer reaction and tweak as they go.

As a fan, I'm really hoping the season maintains the suspense, action and drama of the amazing Season 5. If it means they need to reanalyze story lines and plot points, I'm all for it!

-MJT