October 23, 2014

Michael Cera doesn't want to do an Arrested Development movie

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 9th 2008 3:07PM
CeraWarning: the following may cause dizziness, headaches, dry mouth, and severe pain to fans of Arrested Development. Ask your doctor before reading it.

So everyone seems to be on board for a big screen version of the already-classic FOX comedy. Everyone except Michael Cera, that is. While doing press for his new indie comedy Nick and Norah's Ultimate Playlist, Cera told The National Post that he hasn't heard anything about a movie version of the show, and that "I don't think I would want to see a movie of the series if I was a fan, anyway." He also doesn't understand why people would want a movie if they can watch the three seasons of the show on DVD.

Ouch.

So, is this just a case of an actor not quite thinking something through and something that he will eventually change his mind about once he thinks about it more (or is talked into it by other cast members of the show)? Or does it sound like he's really not interested in doing the show because they had a good three seasons and now he wants to move on and do other things before he's typecast?

If the people behind Arrested Development really want to do a movie they better get on it quickly. Like anything else, the more time goes by the less likely it is we'll see it happen. I'm still not convinced a big screen movie is the way to go. Maybe a TV movie is what they should focus on.

[via TV Tattle]

AT

It could just be his Canadian humility talking.

Typecast? He only plays one type of character.

September 13 2008 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thaddeus Collins

Maybe I'd take his statement as gospel if all his characters weren't various incarnations of George Michael. I really do hate when people try to insult their defining role. George Michael was what made us love Michael Cera...don't forget where you came from, and as a fan of Arrested Development, LET ME TELL YOU, I CANNOT WAIT FOR AN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!!

September 11 2008 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thaddeus Collins

September 11 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Hey, new fan as of earlier this year. Arrested Development still feels as fresh as a daisy, and a movie would be a wonderful touch. I think if those involved don't do it now/soon, they will kick themselves for the missed opportunity in a few years time.
It's never hyperbole to call this the best comedy of the decade, possibly of all time.

September 10 2008 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Funniest. Show. Ever.

September 10 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

Hey Franklin, guess what!

September 10 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Good for him. AD was awesome. WAS. It's over. Let it go, Trekkies.

September 09 2008 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John D\'arc

I'm pretty sure Michael Cera is just fucking with people. He knows that there is an audience that wants it badly.

September 09 2008 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

This little bastard will be in the movie considering the show is the only reason he has a career.

September 09 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
StillBash

Well put.

Seriously, have the bodysnatchers been over to your place or what's going on with you?

I find myself agreeing to what you say all the time. Eery.

September 09 2008 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Michael Cera: Please make a film! Yes please! Mitch, Jason, etc. please make sure it happens!

September 09 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply